Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,918 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My wife and I are looking to relocate to California. We are looking for an area close to Kayaking, skiing and hiking (withing an hour). I am also looking for a safe area for my wife to be when I am gone on business. We have been considering the "Auburn Lake Trails" community. The only thing I don't like is the HOA fees. Would like to get some input from those of you that live in the ALT area as well as recommendation for other areas you think would be a good fit.

Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 09:55 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
In my opinion HOA's are to be avoided at all costs. I lived in one in Reno for 14 years and never again. The 'board' is composed of homeowners and the management company and frequently end up with people who have their own agenda and push through new rules to satisfy their craziness. The one I lived in passed a rule that you could only have two pets, we had two dogs and two birds so we were breaking the rules every day we had those pets on our property, if we had gotten caught we could have been fined $100 a day until we got rid of two of them. Another nut case got a rule passed that you couldn't leave your garage door open for any longer than it took to get your car parked inside...I could write a book about the misery I endured in that crap hole.

Here are the rules for ALT Auburn Lake Trails - Documents - All Gov Doc's read them and see how much control you want to hand over to a bunch of people you don't even know. Another problem with an HOA is that they can come at you with assessments if they need to do improvements that the dues don't cover. I have a friend who owns a condo in Marin County and she recently got a bill for $10,000 - her "share" of the cost of redoing the pool and roofing that they 'forgot' to include in the monthly dues.

I have never been to ALT, but it looks pretty in pictures online and seems to be aimed toward horse owners, but how far is it from shopping, hospitals, public transportation and a post office? That may not be important to some people but it is to me

Old 12-11-2014, 10:20 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Auburn Lake Trails is somewhat isolated. Yes, it's not far from Auburn as the crow flies, but Highway 49 between the town of Auburn and ALT is a twisty, narrow, and hilly road - not easy to traverse, especially in bad/cold weather. Think black ice in the shady areas, along with blind curves. And if you go via Placerville, it's much longer to get to amenities. So no quick-and-easy way to access medical care, shopping, etc.

We looked at ALT . . . found a property we really liked but were turned off by both the access issues and the HOA. I'm a horse person and found the restrictions to be suffocating, even regarding horse trailer parking on one's own property. That may not affect you directly, but gives a clue as to the general mindset there. I know several people who live there who are going to be selling due to the restrictions. So be sure to do your due diligence before you leap.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:23 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In my opinion HOA's are to be avoided at all costs. I lived in one in Reno for 14 years and never again. The 'board' is composed of homeowners and the management company and frequently end up with people who have their own agenda and push through new rules to satisfy their craziness. The one I lived in passed a rule that you could only have two pets, we had two dogs and two birds so we were breaking the rules every day we had those pets on our property, if we had gotten caught we could have been fined $100 a day until we got rid of two of them. Another nut case got a rule passed that you couldn't leave your garage door open for any longer than it took to get your car parked inside...I could write a book about the misery I endured in that crap hole.

Here are the rules for ALT Auburn Lake Trails - Documents - All Gov Doc's read them and see how much control you want to hand over to a bunch of people you don't even know. Another problem with an HOA is that they can come at you with assessments if they need to do improvements that the dues don't cover. I have a friend who owns a condo in Marin County and she recently got a bill for $10,000 - her "share" of the cost of redoing the pool and roofing that they 'forgot' to include in the monthly dues.

I have never been to ALT, but it looks pretty in pictures online and seems to be aimed toward horse owners, but how far is it from shopping, hospitals, public transportation and a post office? That may not be important to some people but it is to me
I second everything 2Sleepy says. I've lived in an HOA managed condo. Never again. They are notorious for poor management. Often the only residents interested in serving on the Board are those who enjoy power trips and making silly rules for other people. ALT and Cool are very pretty in the summertime, but if you have to get to Auburn (nearest "big" city) Hwy 49 is pretty much your only option. Imagine driving it at night, in the rain.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...f06b5aa9?hl=en

It's pretty scary.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
I didn't respond to your question re: other possible areas. Sorry! Anyway, there are many other foothill towns, including Auburn itself, that might fit your parameters. Perhaps if we knew more about your other requirements, we could provide more info. There are numerous threads on the forum that address the foothill towns so you might want to search Auburn, Grass Valley, Meadow Vista, Colfax, Placerville, etc. Lots of places fit into your basic wants/needs as you presented here. Good luck in your search.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:10 PM

534 posts, read 1,532,500 times
Why not Shingle Springs, Coloma, Placerville?

Old 12-14-2014, 07:20 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Some HOA's are well-run. I don't know about ALT, but, I wish I had bought in an HOA community because even people who live in nice, upscale communities are not responsible enough to respect others property.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,969 times
Heard great things about this community. Apparently it has its own onsite restaurant/bar, etc. Or at least I have been told. Never been there myself as it is probably full of old folks, but nonetheless the reviews are glowing.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 7,436 times
Default CoolCalBob

It's interesting, none of your comments are coming from people who live in Auburn Lake Trails! I do and have lived here for over 8 years. I commute primarily to the Bay for business and my office is in Rancho Cordova, CA. It's exactly 31 miles door-door. I travel more than 3,000 miles a month on highways in California. Granted, the road from Auburn (State route 49 the oldest highway in California)is full of curves. It's 6.7 miles from downtown Auburn to first gate at ALT. NOT THAT FAR!!!! In the worst weather and I leave the house often at 5:30 am it's only taken me 30-40 minutes to make the journey, poor non-resident drivers will be your biggest problem including people standing in the middle of the road at the bridge. They are so self involved that they don't realize they are on an active state highway. An alternative route that I take to head to my office is south on 49 to Salmon Falls road, never crowded, not with as many curves but it will take a good 25-30 minutes to reach El Dorado Hills & Folsom. As for HOA's- get with it people, MOST QUALITY NEIGHBORHOODS HAVE HOA's NOW.
Here's what you get with the HOA's at ALT.
24-7 security, no unwanted visitors, no solicitors, no burglaries, no prying eyes! Will check your place when you are traveling or need assistance
Brand new pool-Clubhouse update
Nice little 9 hole par 36 golf course which is never crowded
Private lake with parks
Close to shopping, one supermarket, bank, couple of restaurants in town, gas station, liquor store, only thing the town could use is a pharmacy.
What we like and we both work is the fact that it's very quiet, safe and still within 30 minutes of major shopping and an hour to a major city and airport, plus we truly have 4 different seasons. Plus we are only an hours drive to tahoe, so it's your call.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,007 times
Default Assistance with ALT Please

Hello Coolcalbob,
I liked what you had to say about ALT. I currently live on Long Island and would like to relocate to this area. I have a ten year old daughter and I am concerned that she will be bored with possible lack of action. Would you say this is a good place for a child of her age, and does it have enough activities to keep her entertained? How are the schools and are there many children here? Also what about jobs? Would I be able to find and administrative job without traveling over a half hour you think? thank you so much. Looks so pretty there and I can't wait to leave NY!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento