Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:13 AM

21,669 posts, read 24,814,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Hoped some of you watched KCRA 3 news tonight. Per Michael Alt in response to downtown developments, including two proposed residential towers: "The stadium has changed EVERYTHING".
You're aware that Michael Alt[sic] is the executive director of the Downtown Alliance, right? The used car salesman just told you the new government subsidy on used cars changes everything. And you ate it up. If Redevelopment always (or even often) changed everything, we wouldn't be here. You can't go more than a block downtown without running into a Redevelopment project. Private development projects, however, remain rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite;37713669
Beyond that, and possibly more importantly, this stadium gives the local community something to be proud of. In my opinion, for that reason alone it is worth the incremental increase that we will pay in parking, rent, etc. [B
This city is too big at this point to go without a venue to accommodate the demands of 500,000+ people. [/b] Political events, concerts, sporting events etc will all come through here now and they will be accessible for the majority of the population. I believe the NCAA has already agreed to host a round of the NCAA March Madness Tournament in 2016? Not sure the exact date, but I think that is awesome. I think it's great that cameras will pan on our city during any number of nationally televised events now, and I am all but certain that is a big impetus for Kaiser moving its headquarters right next to the stadium. It's just a good thing for our city on so many levels.
Arco. ESC will hold fewer than additional 200 people. If Arco is too small, so then is ESC for these political events, concerts, sporting events, etc. They still won't be accessible to the majority of the population because it wasn't transportation that was the problem. The cheapest tickets are generally $30-50 at Kings games. That's upper level corner seats. Even decent upper level seats tend to be $75+, lower level $200+

Cameras already pan on our city during a small number of nationally televised events. The arena won't change that. The 2016 Presidential candidate will not make an appearance there.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:58 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,565,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Arco. ESC will hold fewer than additional 200 people. If Arco is too small, so then is ESC for these political events, concerts, sporting events, etc. They still won't be accessible to the majority of the population because it wasn't transportation that was the problem. The cheapest tickets are generally $30-50 at Kings games. That's upper level corner seats. Even decent upper level seats tend to be $75+, lower level $200+

Cameras already pan on our city during a small number of nationally televised events. The arena won't change that. The 2016 Presidential candidate will not make an appearance there.
OK, not going to waste my time arguing over this any longer. You can stay angry as you walk by downtown and watch the stadium and all of the new buildings around it getting constructed and tell people it was all going to happen anyway. Fine by me. Enjoy your day.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:09 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,565,167 times
Quote:
You're aware that Michael Alt[sic] is the executive director of the Downtown Alliance, right? The used car salesman just told you the new government subsidy on used cars changes everything. And you ate it up. If Redevelopment always (or even often) changed everything, we wouldn't be here. You can't go more than a block downtown without running into a Redevelopment project. Private development projects, however, remain rare.
Lol wow. The projects he is referring to are being paid for by people using their own money. There's a whole slew of them coming. Honestly the only innacurare factual statement I've ever made during this several month long debate was with respect to the Dive Bar, and I owned up to it when Burg corrected me. You and a couple others just make things up as you go and I'm kinda over it at this point. Stay mad and do whatever suits you.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:16 PM

And ESC. If Arco isn't large enough for the national televised event cameras, neither is ESC. I'm not saying the ESC is a terrible project. The previous plan that the Maloofs scuttled was pretty bad. The problem is the funding. The City is borrowing $225 million and leasing the arena to the Kings for 6.5 million a year. That's a terrible ROI.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:20 PM

660 posts, read 1,076,934 times
Quote:

You obviously don't go to many Kings games. You can routinely get upper level seats for $20. $75 gets you good lower level seats. Some friends and I got half of a row in the lower level corner to the Kings-Raptors (best record in Eastern Conference) game for $41 per seat. Kings game are not expensive.

As far as the Presidential Nominee not speaking there, uhhh, no **** man. The arena isn't scheduled to open u til about a week before the election...

Old 12-21-2014, 10:52 PM

Corner seats are less desirable, hence why you got them for $41 which is still a good price.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:43 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,239,707 times
Sacramento will get the democratic convention within the next 10 years, maybe 2020 or 2024. Even officially seating less than 18k. I'm sure accommodations can be made to get to the number the DNC needs. By that time Kevin Johnson may be in Washington and will have a lot more connections than he already does.

Plus Sacramento will need to construct a few more hotels before then anyway which we will.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Sacramento will get the democratic convention within the next 10 years, maybe 2020 or 2024. Even officially seating less than 18k. I'm sure accommodations can be made to get to the number the DNC needs. By that time Kevin Johnson may be in Washington and will have a lot more connections than he already does.

Plus Sacramento will need to construct a few more hotels before then anyway which we will.
2024 sounds about right for the next public funded arena.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:35 PM

979 posts, read 2,084,061 times
The arena will seat 17,500 - that's 200 more seats than the current arena. Someone misspoke about it seating less. The arena being downtown will change the landscape vitality of downtown. We can talk all we want about whether the arena was the driving force behind the acquisition of buildings (Kaiser moving to 601 J, the proposed Vanir Tower, and developments on K Street), but it has played an influence in those decisions. We are going to see a lot more foot traffic in the vicinity during events and non-events that otherwise wouldn't exist had we just renovated the Plaza - again.

Some question the financing model but I rather have some outsider invest half on the arena and inject millions of dollars in ancillary development than have the city be responsible for all the cost of a new arena. I don't care if the arena is downtown or not, but there was going to come a time where eventually Arco needs to be replaced.

The NCAA is returning to Sacramento. The Democratic National Convention may or may not come to Sac but at least with a new arena, we are in the conversation. The NBA All-Star game could come to Sac but we don't have enough hotel rooms I believe.

People need to stop being so cynical.

Last edited by pistola916; 12-22-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento