Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:40 PM

165 posts, read 977,270 times

Advertisements

I must give away my german shepherd mix. I will be moving to L.A into an apartment and there is no room for the dog. I'm looking for a shelter in the sacramento area that treats dogs humanely, ofcourse a no-kill shelter. The dog is a 2 yrd old female, all shots taken care of, friendly but not trained. She is friendly with people but acts crazy with other dogs, not vicious though (i have a chihuahua so i know). Is spca any better than county shelters? I did post ads on craigslist with no luck. Which are the less crowded shelters where the dog is most likely to get adopted fast?

And before you start saying "you shouldn't have a dog if you can't take care of it", i got the dog from a flea market 2 years ago where a guy would have killed it or abandon it on the streets if he didn't get rid of it (that's what he told me, maybe to make me get the dog) and i was able to take care of it at the time until now that i must move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 21,099 times
The problem with the no-kill shelters is that they just give them to the kill shelters when they cant find them a home. That being said, there's the SPCA out in Roseville but I don't like them because when I went to get a dog there i didn't "match" well with the dogs they had according to their checklists or whatever so apparently it's better to let them live in a cage until they give them to the kill shelters. They really pissed me off so I went to the animal shelter (refuse to use breeders or pet shops) on Bradshaw and got my dog and have been happy with him ever since.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 PM

165 posts, read 977,270 times
So they didn't give you the dog because you didn't "match"? That's interesting..I'm glad you found a dog you like and are happy with. Thankfully i found a place to keep mine so i don't have to give away

Old 12-11-2008, 07:56 AM

375 posts, read 1,725,719 times
Search for German Shepherd Rescues. Sometimes
they can help with mixes.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 12,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslover View Post
I must give away my german shepherd mix. I will be moving to L.A into an apartment and there is no room for the dog. I'm looking for a shelter in the sacramento area that treats dogs humanely, ofcourse a no-kill shelter. The dog is a 2 yrd old female, all shots taken care of, friendly but not trained. She is friendly with people but acts crazy with other dogs, not vicious though (i have a chihuahua so i know). Is spca any better than county shelters? I did post ads on craigslist with no luck. Which are the less crowded shelters where the dog is most likely to get adopted fast?

And before you start saying "you shouldn't have a dog if you can't take care of it", i got the dog from a flea market 2 years ago where a guy would have killed it or abandon it on the streets if he didn't get rid of it (that's what he told me, maybe to make me get the dog) and i was able to take care of it at the time until now that i must move.
I'm also sending you a private message, I have a 4 year old purebred female GSD (shelter rescued) and have been looking at rescuing another. There is a group in Ncal that specifically does German Sherpherd rescue based out of Walnut Creek, I think it is actually just called German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California, but know that if you turn your dog over to any shelter you are putting her on death row and hoping that someone will save her in time.

I would be interested in meeting your dog if you are serious about giving her up before your move to LA. I know life can throw curveballs from time to time, so I'm not faulting you for your decision which I imagine can't be easy, but please don't give her up to a shelter whatever you decide to do.

-Tony

Old 09-07-2015, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,742 times
Does anyone know of a no-kill for Blue nose pitt bulls in the surrounding areas of Sacramento CA. This information is needed for my brother

Old 09-07-2015, 10:42 PM

113 posts, read 159,490 times
Front Street Shelter is a really good no kill shelter

Old 09-07-2015, 11:21 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVinci View Post
Front Street Shelter is a really good no kill shelter

According to their web site, they've euthanized 1358 animals so far this year--thru July 31st. They're saying they have a 76% "save rate" which is really good, but that's not no-kill.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:47 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Too bad the OP is so old. I'd have volunteered to take the dog.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,296 times
I also have a senior dog that I cannot take in. 10 year old German Shepardix. Is anyone interested so I won't have to resort to a shelter? Previous owner is no longer with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento