Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 03:16 PM

10 posts, read 20,660 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd chime in here. Kellibell, like you, I relocated from the Bay Area, looking for the perfect place to live and raise my family. I checked out all of the areas you mentioned, and chose Folsom because it is a clean, safe place, with good schools, miles and miles of trails, 2 lakes, a new performing arts center, historic district, shopping, and many community events. It is very family-friendly and there is always something to do.

Also like your husband, I am (or was) teaching martial arts when I moved here and chose to teach at the Capitol Athletic Club. Where are you located and what type of martial arts does you husband teach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 05:01 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
I just want to mention, unlike the Folsom cheerleaders , no place is perfect. There are significant issues in Folsom with new development, poor roadway planning, lack of water & an obnoxious old boys network in the city council. But...despite, it is still a very nice place.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:29 PM

35 posts, read 57,329 times
Just a word to the wise. There are excellent schools, great parks, lots for kids to do and SoCal type shopping. It is a glorious place to live and we have enjoyed raising our kids here in Whitney Ranch in Rocklin since 2008. They have excelled in school and made great friends.

The new neighborhoods and spiffy homes are affordable and enticing and seemingly affordable when you move in and for the first couple years, depending on the length of time it takes to build out your shiny new neighborhood.

Once that is complete, the developer then turns the neighborhood over to the county for maintenance and to an HOA who will run it. Your taxes are about to go up approx $600-$800 a year at this point and your life will change dramatically if your HOA is not a good one and is run by someone who always wanted to be class president but never quite won the election.

Be sure you are not right at your financial brink when you buy because 2 yrs down the road when you are all settled in and can't quite yet flip the house for what you have put into it, you will need to start coming out of pocket with substantial increases in taxes annually. (these are mello roos, a way around prop 18 that has been allowed in CA for years for new neighborhood infrastructure)

We love it here but the taxes make is so much less attractive. I would rather pay less for a house and more for hurricane insurance, live at the ocean on east coast white sand beaches personally.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 10,380 times
My family and I are also thinking about moving to sac area, this year, thank you for your post, it gave a great Idea of the cities around

Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,720 times
Default KellBell76

Thanks for posting your question! My family and I are moving within two months to the same area! All the places you've mentioned are places we are considering! If you make a decision or find out anything substantial, do share!!! I will do the same! We have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. Big decisions!

We have the exact same price point as well! Good Luck!

Old 02-03-2015, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,271 times
Loomis

Old 02-12-2015, 08:51 PM

37 posts, read 74,801 times
I just wanted to mention that while Rocklin is a beautiful little town, I've not heard good things about it with regard to being business friendly. I know someone who recently moved his business out of Rocklin for this reason (though he had a manufacturing business.) Someone once told me that's why you see all of the car dealers in Roseville and not Rocklin.

Who knows...I just thought I pass it along for you to look into, or maybe one of our resident geniuses can chime in. This thread is getting a bit stale. Have you settled on a location?

BTW, I think Folsom is an excellent choice. The river and trails are right here, a cute old town section as well as all of the modern conveniences.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:33 PM

Really? ^^^ Roseville has way more shopping than Folsom, and a much better selection. I go over there for most things other than groceries and misc things.

Plus, Rocklin/Roseville is rated higher than Folsom for schools.
Top 30 school districts in NorCal-Tahoe-Reno area | News - KCRA Home

Old 02-13-2015, 08:26 PM

37 posts, read 74,801 times
Default Folsom>Roseville

If one's hobbies include shopping and...shopping, yes Roseville is better. But for almost everything else I prefer Folsom.

And as for schools, I think we're splitting hairs....both have great schools: http://www.zillow.com/sacramento-ca/schools/#/sacramento-ca/schools/bb=-121.393089%2C38.575816%2C-120.835533%2C38.934577®ionId=&zoom=10

And here: Search California High Schools | US News

And I think picking individual schools is better than picking districts. There's always a bad apple.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:00 PM

I live in Folsom.

There are plus & minus to Folsom & Roseville.

Lol, shopping isnt a hobby for all women.

Folsom does have more variety than someplace like EDH, but Roseville does have more. Folsom has several high end boutique-type stores (I dont shop at any of them). And it does have the outlets.

Roseville also has a greater selection of restaurants, including a large number of unique, independent restaurants. If you like chains, then Folsom is the place for you. We have tons of pizza places, burger places & mexican places.

Like Roseville, Folsom is considered a family oriented town. Yet Folsom goes to sleep after 9 pm. The town is dead, except is very small pockets like Sutter St. If one desires nightlife, it is within easy driving distance.

Regarding the link I posted - recent school listing by KCRA?
Rocklin is #1, Roseville is #4, Folsom is #9
I think overall the schools in Folsom are fine. It's interesting listening to the comments about the neighborhoods that funnel into lower performing schools. I'm amazed at the number of people who shuffle their children off to private schools beyond Folsom.

When I moved here, I was warned about the "Folsom royalty" by friends who've lived here for many years. Many people in Folsom have a huge attitude of entitlement. Because they can afford to live here, therefore their rights supersede yours. I've had neighbors try to tell me that I can't film their children with the cameras covering my property, because, "you don't own your front yard, it's public property." Yea, right, what an idiot. Just stay out of my yard & the children wont be recorded.

It's really funny listening to the town cheerleaders, many of whom happen to be realtors. Every town has them. IMO, no town is really BEST, it's all about what lifestyle & amenities one prefers.

Overall, Folsom is very nice, and it works for me at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento