Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:49 AM

123 posts, read 124,284 times

Advertisements

Is it a walkable city? Do most of the people who live there have English as their first language? Is it a cool city to meet new friends in and is it a creative city? Is it a place to have fun and create memories?

I'm a single white female in my late 20s and my parents want me to move to Sacremento (I'm having trouble finding a salaried job in LA and LA has felt un-safe lately).

Is it easier to make a living there than in LA?

What is the aura and such or Sacremento?

What can you tell me about the place? I have never been there.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 01:11 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,201 times
Midtown is very walkable and full of energy at night. A lot of restaurants, bars and low key type entertainment (3 or 4 farmers markets, outdoor music events, etc). You will find rhis sort of thing in midtown.

I use to steer clear of downtown but have been there more and more lately to check out the progress of the new stadium construction. Tonight my GF and I decided ro eat downtown since we usually do not spend much time there. We ate at an Afghan restaurant which was delucious, and I noticed 5 or 6 other ethnic restauranrs within a 2 block radius. We went into another great bar/restaurant called "Blackbird", which was decked out with tons of art and over 50 beers on tap. The ambiance was outstanding. So, you could say I am a new fan of downtown and will be exploring more within it.

Also, Sac is a collection of many neighborhoods which each have their own identity. For example, East Sac has beautiful homes, yoga, coffee and restaurants and great parks. Curtis Park is grittier, with record stores, low budget ethnic restaurants and bars. And Old Sac is an entity all to itself, with some great bars, and underground wine/piano bar and restaurants - though it can attract some undesireable elements.You can find something unique in each place.

Overall this is a very friendly and creative city with a great sense of community. There is some seediness in downtown and parts of midtown, but being a 200+ lb man I don't worry about it. I belueve some women may, but then again I see women out on bicycles in all areas of Sac at all times of the night, so I have to believe that most people feel pretty safe here.

You should take a trip to see for yourself. But ask for some cool places to eat or grab a drink (coffee or alchohol) beforehand just so you have some point of reference. Otherwise, as a casual observer it may seem a bit bland.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:25 AM

123 posts, read 124,284 times
I don't drink at all, so I don't care about bars

Old 01-13-2015, 08:57 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times
There is definitely a strong drinking culture here. There are other parts of the Sacto area that are less focused on drinking, like the suburbs. However, I'm sure you can find things to do, and non-drinking friends & still be able to fit into the midtown culture somewhat.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixliz View Post
I don't drink at all, so I don't care about bars
For the record, neither do I. I am big on coffee though and plenty satisfied with the selection in Sac. Hense my reference to restaurants, coffee, yoga and parks. It may be a fit for you, maybe not. May as well take a trip to see.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:56 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,277,077 times
I know old-time Midtowners who are convinced that Sacramento sits on the convergence of ley-lines or something like that--cosmic energies center on the Capitol or nearby that just draws a certain spirit. If you like a city that has two rivers, one slow and lazy, levee-lined with walking paths, one smaller but fast and its borders wild, undeveloped and parklike aside from the occasional rope swing, you might like it here. As sacite says, the coffee is fantastic, and I'd agree completely--some of the best coffee in the country can be found here, in dozens of little local coffee shops.

Sacramento gets more quiet and businesslike as you leave the center, which is the way many people like it--they want respectable, safe places to raise their kids. Politically it gets more conservative too, but not enormously so, and as you head east into the foothills it's more of a libertarian "you mind your business, I'll mind mine" variety.

It was a great place to spend my twenties for me, but that was a couple of decades ago. I chose to cleave closer to the center of the city, where there is more creative energy and things going on, at least for those who bother to look past the surface and seek it out. It's probably an easier place to get by than Los Angeles if you're more into taking it easy than living at a frantic pace. Not perfect by any means, but "just right" for some.

Last edited by wburg; 01-13-2015 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 02:15 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Default What type of people live there?

DUH! People like you'll find anywhere else - some special, some merely good, some vapid, some not so good, some downright bad. What do you expect?

PS. There's already a coffee thread.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
DUH! People like you'll find anywhere else - some special, some merely good, some vapid, some not so good, some downright bad. What do you expect?

PS. There's already a coffee thread.
So far the only reply is "I don't drink at all, so I don't care about bars" lol. I wonder if she decided on LA.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:23 AM

68 posts, read 109,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixliz View Post
Is it a walkable city? Do most of the people who live there have English as their first language? Is it a cool city to meet new friends in and is it a creative city? Is it a place to have fun and create memories?

I'm a single white female in my late 20s and my parents want me to move to Sacremento (I'm having trouble finding a salaried job in LA and LA has felt un-safe lately).

Is it easier to make a living there than in LA?

What is the aura and such or Sacremento?

What can you tell me about the place? I have never been there.

Thanks
Sacramento is cool. Smaller than LA, but still enough to do. And not just drinking. Great outdoor recreation culture, coffee culture, music scene, etc. I don't really drink much either, and enjoy it here.

Yes, very walkable if you stay in "the grid" (the area between I-5, Highway 50, Capital City Fwy aka Business 80). Yes, English is the predominant language though you'll hear plenty of other tongues. Lots of creative types. I think it's fun.

Generally speaking pretty safe. Like all cities, it has it's trouble spots, but overall safer than LA.

LA salaries slightly higher on average, but then again LA rents/housing is more expensive too. Overall probably easier financially to live here.

Lots of 20-30s living here including yours truly.

Just come visit and check it out.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:54 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Sacramento strikes me as a god awful place to spend your 20's, unless you are poor.

It is a fantastic place to spend your 30'S, IMO.

It is a very slow paced, suburban, and dull.

Midtown is hardly bustling and full of energy. You must be from Galt if you think that. Midtown is dead 4 nights out of the week. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a So Cal native, I like the laid back and easy living of small town Sacramento. There is not a whole lot to do if you are into nightlife and entertainment. But I like to skateboard and go to dives. So I like it.

I lived in the bay before Sac, and the bay epically sucks. The weather is terrible, drivers are brain dead, and the people are just awful there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento