Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:16 PM

78 posts, read 103,406 times

Advertisements

Smart and successful people are generally pleasant to be around; the unsuccessful and the unintelligent are generally unpleasant company.

30% of San Francisco have a college degree, and almost 17% have a graduate degree. 17% of Sacramento have a college, and only 9% have a graduate degree. Is it a surprise that most people in Sacramento are dour and unpleasant? (BTW, Sacramento is even lower than the US average of 17.5% and 10%.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
I live in Carmichael and I love it, house comps in this area average around 350k, there are a few run down houses but almost all are owner occupied and the ones that look kind of crappy are generally owned by elderly people who just can't do the outside upkeep. I find people around here to be very friendly and I haven't noticed any 'dark energy' or 'bad vibes', I find it to be very pleasant. I love Carmichael park and I'm close to lots of stores and restaurants. The only area where I notice a lot of homeless is near El Camino and Watt but that's not very close to me and while I don't really avoid it the only time I go down there is to go to Panera bread or another shop in the area. Maybe if we did something like Salt Lake City with their "housing first" program we could mitigate part of the homeless problem.
cb73 if there is an organized Carmichael neighborhood association I am interested in participating.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,258,677 times
Now that Bay Area Snobs have trolled onto this ridiculous thread

Food for thought: Sacramento is in the above category for educational attainment. Above Pittsburgh, Salt Lake, Tucson, Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Wichita to name just a few:

Sacramento at or slightly below: Portland, Colorado Springs, New York City Metro

I can name several cities that feel like they have much worse negative energy than a Walmart in an older suburban area of Sacramento: The Tenderloin in SF, Richmond, Oakland, Hayward, Concord, Vallejo, Daly City, the Mission Dist. in SF, parts of Berkeley.

Sacramento-Arden-Arcade-Roseville - In Photos: The U.S. Cities That Lag (And Excel) In Degree Attainment - Forbes

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-19-2015 at 09:16 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 AM

78 posts, read 103,406 times
On the other hand, Manhattan clocks in at 27% college grads and a whopping 24% with a graduate degree.

Of course, education isn't everything. This knowledge-based economy thing is probably just a passing fad.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:01 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,273,146 times
Carmichael could use more than a neighborhood association--generally, all neighborhood associations do is talk to city government, but there is no city of Carmichael to talk to, just the county government, who is far removed from individual neighborhoods and their well-being and doesn't really have the tools to address neighborhood issues.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:54 PM

888 posts, read 889,591 times
I am a 4th generation Sacramentan and remember when natives were the majority; now we are the minority. Weird vibes can be felt and had everywhere you go and are. Sometimes it takes one to spot one if you know what I mean. Keep marching forward in your life journey and focus your attention on the friendly and positive majority here in Sactown.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:04 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0euser View Post
Smart and successful people are generally pleasant to be around; the unsuccessful and the unintelligent are generally unpleasant company.

30% of San Francisco have a college degree, and almost 17% have a graduate degree. 17% of Sacramento have a college, and only 9% have a graduate degree. Is it a surprise that most people in Sacramento are dour and unpleasant? (BTW, Sacramento is even lower than the US average of 17.5% and 10%.)
LOL I don't agree with your assessment at all. Nobody teaches you how to be "pleasant" in college. I mean look at me - I can be a total prick here at times and I have a degree. Perfect example .

I am sure most of the people that I see in grocery stores don't have college degrees, but they are always more friendly here in Sac than they are in the bay area. In fact, a lot of them are flat out rude in the bay. The difference in personal interaction is more of a function of the acceptable cultural norms than it is the level of one's education.

A more accurate statement is probably to suggest that the % of violent or petty crime rates are much lower amongst people who hold a bachelor's degree v those who don't. As a whole, that is probably true.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:45 PM

128 posts, read 372,687 times
OP, do you feel the same way outside of Walmart? That's funny because I've actually been to that Walmart but it didn't seem as if it had a darker vibe than any other Walmart.

I never liked the Sacramento atmosphere and vibe though

Old 01-26-2015, 07:00 PM

89 posts, read 131,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
LOL I don't agree with your assessment at all. Nobody teaches you how to be "pleasant" in college. I mean look at me - I can be a total prick here at times and I have a degree. Perfect example .

I am sure most of the people that I see in grocery stores don't have college degrees, but they are always more friendly here in Sac than they are in the bay area. In fact, a lot of them are flat out rude in the bay. The difference in personal interaction is more of a function of the acceptable cultural norms than it is the level of one's education.

A more accurate statement is probably to suggest that the % of violent or petty crime rates are much lower amongst people who hold a bachelor's degree v those who don't. As a whole, that is probably true.
You're totally correct. Education has no correlation with being pleasant. If that were the case SF would not be voted snobbiest city in america.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 10,848 times
How can anyone compare Manhattan to Sacramento? Try comparing ALL of NYC - why single out Manhattan where it is terribly expensive to live and obviously more affluent? What about the other 4 parts of the city: Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx? Compare actual city-to-city and then see how Sac stacks up.... Also, why you're at it - compare Manhattan to El Dorado Hills or Folsom. Sacrament is not just Sacramento, there are plenty of affluent suburbs to consider....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento