Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:01 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife09 View Post
You're totally correct. Education has no correlation with being pleasant. If that were the case SF would not be voted snobbiest city in america.
Supposedly there is now science to back up this conclusion!

Psychology studies suggest rising wealth means more jerks in S.F. - San Francisco Chronicle

Quote:
If it seems that San Franciscans are getting more entitled and self-absorbed, a series of psychology studies performed at UC Berkeley indicates there could be a scientific reason: the city’s increasing wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:07 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Lol. It doesn't take a scientific study to figure that out. SF is a city full of liberal asses. Sac is WAY more diverse and has more people who are more on the "normal" side of things. SF attracts rich techies and ultra liberal transplants who think the Bay is liberal paradise. Both aren't people who are pleasant to be around.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:09 PM

62 posts, read 76,947 times
I can sort of empathize...I had an intangible distaste for Sacramento in the one year that I lived there. There's an ironic kind of gloom that hangs over the city (ironic given the perpetual sunshine and 110 degree heat).

I wouldn't blame it on the seismic activity though, that sounds a little too new agey for me.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:49 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Mtn_Expat View Post
I can sort of empathize...I had an intangible distaste for Sacramento in the one year that I lived there. There's an ironic kind of gloom that hangs over the city (ironic given the perpetual sunshine and 110 degree heat).
I find Sacramento to be a happy friendly place.

Actually, Sacramento averages only 5-10 days a year at the century mark. To be followed by 2-3 months in the high 80's (heat index) temps, with wonderfully cool A.M. temperatures in the high 50's in the summer.

I had and continue to have both an intangible and tangible distaste for Denver's horribly brown extremely cold temps; you never know when it's going to drop to Zero degrees when the day before it was 50F.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:02 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,491 times
There's no way Sac only has 5-10 days per year of 100 degree temps. It's a lot more than that.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
[quote=j0euser;38092997]On the other hand, Manhattan clocks in at 27% college grads and a whopping 24% with a graduate degree.

Of course, education isn't everything. This knowledge-based economy thing is probably just a passing fad.[/QUOTE/]

And education snobbery is even less!

Old 01-28-2015, 03:51 PM

128 posts, read 372,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

Actually, Sacramento averages only 5-10 days a year at the century mark. To be followed by 2-3 months in the high 80's (heat index) temps, with wonderfully cool A.M. temperatures in the high 50's in the summer.

I had and continue to have both an intangible and tangible distaste for Denver's horribly brown extremely cold temps; you never know when it's going to drop to Zero degrees when the day before it was 50F.
It's definitely more than 5-10 days. It was consistently over 100 from June - Aug for me after 3pm.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:49 PM

62 posts, read 76,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

I don't fault you. A lot of people just don't like cold, period (a lot of those people are in Cali). If that's your bag, then Sacramento is a great climate for you. There are essentially two seasons here. Hot and dry 8 months of the year, cool and wet for 4 months (though that season seems to shrink a little every year). Personally, I like variability and four distinct seasons. If that's what you're after, don't come to the Sacramento area.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:21 PM

128 posts, read 372,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Mtn_Expat View Post
I don't fault you. A lot of people just don't like cold, period (a lot of those people are in Cali). If that's your bag, then Sacramento is a great climate for you. There are essentially two seasons here. Hot and dry 8 months of the year, cool and wet for 4 months (though that season seems to shrink a little every year). Personally, I like variability and four distinct seasons. If that's what you're after, don't come to the Sacramento area.
There aren't too many places in California with four seasons. That really applies to the vast majority of California cities.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 15,191 times
I wanted to thank everyone for your feedback. My wife and I are not "new age woo-woo" people. We live in a nice area of Arden-Arcade (Ben Lomand). That being said, we are definitely picking up on some type of negative energy. A neighbor said its like a psychic vampire in this area. Is this due to it being poor? The crime? I don't know. There are some nice homes in our area and some not so nice places but it's definitely weird. I've lived in Danville, Chico, Alameda, Livermore and now Sacramento and this area just has a negative vibe to it. Even driving down Winding Creek where the "nice" houses are, it's just weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento