Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 AM

43 posts, read 72,929 times

Advertisements

I need all possible on living in Davis please!
Please focus on the following though:
Do many people have a farm land and animals there?
Is there a large population of Asians? I have nothing against them, just wondering.
Do they have all the local places or will I often need to travel to sacramento?
Does davis have a doctors office? ^
Is it expensive?
Overall, do you think Davis is better than sacramento? Why or why not?
Please send me all pictures of the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 10,851 times
I don't live in Davis, but grew up near by and have spent some time there, so I can answer a few questions:

It is expensive to buy a house there, but I guess it depends on your definition of expensive. Cheaper that SF but more than Sacramento.

There are a lot of doctors offices, plus a super nice hospital and a med school.

You really would never need to travel to sacramento unless you want a mall. There is a Target, tons of local places and a Walmart in Dixon (a few miles West)

I believe there are quite a few Asians (it is a college town).

Some people have farm land on the outskirts of Davis going toward Dixon and Winters area. However, I would think it would be quite expensive, as there is limited land. Not sure what you mean by animals - like raising chickens and cattle? Yes, I suppose they do on the farm land, but, again, that would be pricey and probably not a lot available.

Overall, Davis is very much a college town. Great, walkable downtown but feels very much like a typical Liberal college town. Lots of bike riding, bring your own shopping bags, yuppy families and lots of college folk.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:00 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babypop07 View Post

Not in the city limits, except chickens with certain restrictions. Acreage is expensive.

Is there a large population of Asians?

Yes.

Not sure what you mean by "local places." Shopping is pretty limited; most people go to Woodland or Sac for major purchases.

Does davis have a doctors office?

Yes, many.

Is it expensive?

Yes.

Much too general a question; depends on what you like & what is important to you.

Type "Davis California" into your search engine and select "images." Also see daviswiki.org.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:11 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
The above posters answered some of these already, but I wanted to modify someone's answer: Davis might be expensive by Sacramento standards but it's definitely not by Bay Area standards. I currently rent a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom condo (albeit old) for under $1,000 per month. "Expensive" means different things to different people. Closer to the Bay, that's a steal. In Sacramento, maybe for that price, you get similar specs but a fairly newer place.

Asians are everywhere. Not too many people have farms. I never drive to Sacramento for anything; Davis really has everything you need.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:14 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,132 times
Quote:
Is there a large population of Asians? I have nothing against them, just wondering.
Is it expensive?
If you want small town living but be filled with a bunch of nerdy and "ultra smart" liberal college students, then Davis is your place to be. An hour and 10 minutes from SF and 20 minutes from midtown Sac.

There are a descent amount of stores in Davis if that's what you want.

Overall, I don't like Davis. It's full of the type of Bay Area people who I grew up with and I greatly dislike and who I want to be away from. I much rather prefer Sacramento but to each his own.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 PM

57 posts, read 115,890 times
I'll reiterate what a previous poster suggested: check out the Davis wiki @
www.daviswiki.org

It's very comprehensive, lists most of everything in the town, and has pictures.

As to Sacramento vs Davis, the towns are two different experiences.

You will find that a decent amount of Davis' culinary scene is imported from Sacramento (e.g. Tres Hermanas, Tako Korean, Cafe Bernardo, Mikuni Sushi, and Old Soul just bought a place....)

Other than that, it comes down to living in a city vs living in a suburban setting, which is kind of up to you.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:39 AM

379 posts, read 785,438 times
Hi OP, I lived in Davis itself for about a year and just outside of Davis for an additional year.

A lot of people have pets, but outside of chickens I didn't know of much farm land or farming. You're more likely to see farms in neighboring Dixon or Woodland.

I'd guess the majority of people of Davis are White / Caucasian. There are more people of Asian descent than other ethnic minorities.

There are plenty of doctors' offices and local amenities. For a smallish suburb food options are decent with a lot of local businesses. There are some shopping options, but for a true shopping mall the best options are Sacramento, Woodland, or the Vacaville outlets.

Is it expensive?
It's the most expensive town in the Sacramento area. As others have said, it's less expensive than the San Francisco Bay Area.

If you're a student or faculty at Davis, family with school-aged kids, or looking for a slow, college-oriented pace of life, Davis will fit your needs well. If you don't have kids or an affiliation with UCD, or you prefer somewhere more urban, Sacramento (particularly the midtown area) would be a better fit.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:56 AM

62 posts, read 76,913 times
Quote:
Is it expensive?
1. Not in the city of Davis proper, but the surrounding areas are farmland (rice fields, orchards, other crops).

2. Yes, there is a major Asian population at all UCs.

3. Davis is a city of 65,000. It will have pretty much everything you need.

4. Plenty

5. More expensive than Sac, less than the Bay Area. It's a college town, and that always inflates rents somewhat.

6. Yes. I'm not fond of Sacramento. The weather is horrendous (though Davis weather is essentially the same), there are a lot of blighted areas, schools are poor, etc. It's not as bad as, say, Fresno, but I don't find much good about it. Midtown is ok. I think the new arena will help boost downtown revitalization. But Sacramento's strength is in its proximity to other things (Yosemite, Tahoe, Bay Area, etc), not the city itself. Conversely, Davis is just a mellow college town.

Not to be rude, but your questions are kind of a head scratcher and it has me wondering what the impetus behind your post is. What town of 65,000 would not have doctors' offices?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:45 AM

43 posts, read 72,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Mtn_Expat View Post
1. Not in the city of Davis proper, but the surrounding areas are farmland (rice fields, orchards, other crops).

2. Yes, there is a major Asian population at all UCs.

3. Davis is a city of 65,000. It will have pretty much everything you need.

4. Plenty

5. More expensive than Sac, less than the Bay Area. It's a college town, and that always inflates rents somewhat.

6. Yes. I'm not fond of Sacramento. The weather is horrendous (though Davis weather is essentially the same), there are a lot of blighted areas, schools are poor, etc. It's not as bad as, say, Fresno, but I don't find much good about it. Midtown is ok. I think the new arena will help boost downtown revitalization. But Sacramento's strength is in its proximity to other things (Yosemite, Tahoe, Bay Area, etc), not the city itself. Conversely, Davis is just a mellow college town.

Not to be rude, but your questions are kind of a head scratcher and it has me wondering what the impetus behind your post is. What town of 65,000 would not have doctors' offices?
lol. I meant to say dr offices. And obviously I didn't know anything about the population, if I am asking such questions. You'd think if my questions are "a head scratcher" you would simply ignore them. you were not obligated to answer.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:36 AM

62 posts, read 76,913 times
Yes, the doctors here have offices. I answered them because I am trying to be helpful. I'm still a bit confused about how you think a city of this size would have no doctors' offices. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento