Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 02:05 PM

57 posts, read 115,890 times

Advertisements

IMO, I wouldn't be too afraid of living north of Midtown. West of 29th and north of F includes the entire neighborhood of New Era Park, which I consider a very nice area. You're also skirting the northern end of Marshall School and Boulevard Park. Most of those streets feel very residential and quiet. Many of the houses aren't cheap either. You can actually walk (or bike) to midtown reasonably fast from these areas.

West of 16th, the north side of Mansion Flats and Alkali Flats can be a bit more hit or miss, but really not unsafe at all. Especially as you move farther to the west, the housing can be more inconsistent--really nice renovated properties and infill mixed in with stuff that needs to be fixed. The biggest thing you might notice is more homeless people, who, by and large are not threatening, but have their own set of issues that you might not be looking for. These areas are in closer proximity to social services (e.g. Francis House on approximately 14th and C, Loaves & Fishes north of Downtown on 12th and approximately North C St.), travel corridors (16th and 12th streets), and the homeless encampments on the other side of the American River. 12th street is probably the worst.

I think there's very few areas on the "grid" that are unsafe. It's a matter of how far you'd like to walk if you're going to the restaurants, and how busy you want your neighborhood to be. J, K, L, and Capitol are busy east/west roads, and then there's some hubs of activity beginning at 16th street and then picking up in the low/mid 20s. You could search outward from, say, 24th and K as a reasonable center of midtown and start considering price, distance, quiet vs loud, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 03:20 PM

119 posts, read 285,373 times
Hi All,

I've lived in Elk Grove and Midtown. I agree that Midtown is low crime, almost as low as the boring suburbs like Elk Grove!

However, midtown has a huge number of sex offenders. Look at the Meghan's law database. Midtown is a gigantic red dot due to the below market rate rentals that exist and CADA (I love CADA, but it does have a negative effective).

For many people that's a huge negative especially if you have a young family and want them to have a bit of independence (i.e. play in the front yard, walk to a park etc.).

Elk Grove and other suburbs have barely any sex offenders, particularly in the more affluent parts such as Laguna West/StoneLake etc near I5.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:49 PM

216 posts, read 605,468 times
Based on my apartment hunting, draw a rectangle with corners at about [14th and H] and [22nd and R]. Anything in there will likely be safely walkable to bars/nightlife/restaurants/etc.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:04 PM

264 posts, read 413,657 times
Also, where are you getting your crime data?

Try RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing

There are a lot of low-crime bubbles.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:32 PM

12 posts, read 12,072 times
Thank you for all of this great advice. Now, I just hope it's single girl friendly. Boyfriend and I just broke up on Monday. But I'm still planning to move. I like the idea of being able to draw a rectangle on a map and search from there. Thank you for all of the advice.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:55 PM

113 posts, read 159,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvee View Post
Thank you for all of this great advice. Now, I just hope it's single girl friendly. Boyfriend and I just broke up on Monday. But I'm still planning to move. I like the idea of being able to draw a rectangle on a map and search from there. Thank you for all of the advice.
You will be 100% fine and love midtown. Me and my gf live here (around P and 24th) and she feels completely safe. The only thing you'll have to pay attention to is the people living around you. It's not an issue anymore since they moved, but when I moved in, there were a group of 3 college guys who would tend to start the party at their place every night from Thursday to Sunday. They would be loud till they left at 10 and would wake me up at 2 in the morning. Again, they eventually left 4 months later and now it's great. But keep in mind young people love living here because they actively go out and enjoy the night life.

But back to safety, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. As a girl, just be smart after 10pm. Don't walk back from the clubs, just Uber it back (like $6-8 anywhere you'd want to go!).

Old 02-15-2015, 10:15 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Calling the cops on constant late-night loud partiers is also an option.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:03 PM

12 posts, read 12,072 times
Thank you for your feedback. We actually broke up about 2 weeks ago. So, I think I'm going to try and move back to Los Angeles... :-/

Old 04-01-2015, 08:32 PM

32 posts, read 77,118 times
Well, this helped me out, so thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento