Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 7,956 times

Advertisements

Does anyone commute via the Capitol Corridor train from Sacramento to Emeryville? I'm looking to relocate to the Sacramento area but wish to keep my job in the Bay Area. I think Amtrak might be a good solution. I would most likely take the 6:20am train and return on the 5:00 train.

I have a few questions and would love some input. How reliable is the train? Is parking difficult? Does it get very crowded?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 10:29 AM

238 posts, read 1,315,739 times
I used to take the train from Sacramento to Santa Clara! (And usually I would originate the trip from Roseville where I live, taking an Amtrak bus to the Sac station.)

The train is reliable except for the days when it's not. Every so often my train (usually my afternoon train) would be delayed, sometimes by 90 minutes. These are the same rails the freight trains use, so whenever there's an incident, it affects ALL rail lines.

The train itself doesn't get too crowded; I would usually have a bench (for two) all to myself.

Parking is not difficult, but you do have to pay. It was something like $6-7 day at the lot immediately adjacent to the station; but if you don't mind walking a block, I think there is a garage (Old Sacramento) just a LITTLE further that you can park at for $4/day.

I only had to do this 2x a week, for a few months (I finally found a job locally). I did enjoy it -- the ride was relaxing, and since I have my own wi-fi internet connection, I could be working the whole time. (And they'll be installing their own wireless internet service later this year.) Food and drinks can be purchased too. The days were long, though....I'd leave my house at 4:30, get back at 8:00. if I had to do it 5x a week, I'm sure it would have gotten pretty exhausting.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 PM

914 posts, read 2,918,132 times
My daughter is doing it five days a week! She lives in Roseville and rives to the Sac station, gets the 7 am train to Emeryville, then a bus to the Ferry building. But, as they say, stuff happens! today she missed the AM train, and then she just called to tell us she missed the 5:30 train! She's stuck there until 8:00 and won't be home until 10. That's extremely poor quailty of life, and hopefully she will find a solution soon. Rents are just too high in SF, so she might just rent in Sac, and have a bit less of a commute time.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:44 AM

38 posts, read 145,466 times
Default Amtrak from Sac to Emeryville

My husband did it for over two years before finding a job closer to home (Roseville). The only complaint he could think of was the train (i.e., Capitol Corridor) would ran late from time-to-time (this generally took place with the afternoon trains coming back from the Bay area). All in all, its' a great alternative.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:45 PM
eri

27 posts, read 119,225 times
Where is this train located exactly? i am currently in Natomas. Are there any stops in San Mateo or San Francisco?

Old 01-14-2008, 04:58 PM

Sac Amtrak station is a couple blocks north of downtown plaza.

No stops in SF or the peninsula. You would need to hop off in Richmond and transfer to BART to SF. From SF, you could then take a Caltrain into San Mateo.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
eri

27 posts, read 119,225 times
Oh my, i think i rather just drive. Barting is Richmond is just a no no.

Thank you for the info!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 PM

You could also get off in Emeryville instead, then take an AC Transit transbay bus into SF.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:32 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,315 times
What is the AC Transit bus?? Is that the one you get in Emeryville from Amtrak (from what I see on the Amtrak website)?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM

AC Transit is the regional bus service provider for Alameda county, and they do offer transbay service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento