Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:08 AM

12 posts, read 19,234 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are relocating out of bay area. We are retired and looking for a nice house with some land. We did find a horse property we loved. But my question is...we don't have horses and don't intend to get any!! Is that appropriate to buy a property like that if we don't intend to use as such. Its nice and flat and that is what we are looking for.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:30 PM

264 posts, read 414,506 times
Eh, why not? Just because it's zoned for something doesn't mean you have to use it for that purpose. They're permissive uses, not mandatory. And I doubt your horse-friendly neighbors will give you the stink eye if you choose not to get horses.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:05 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,854,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
And I doubt your horse-friendly neighbors will give you the stink eye if you choose not to get horses.
Unless you complain about dust or smell, or anything related to their horses/property.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:11 PM

264 posts, read 414,506 times
True... horse poo doesn't smell as bad but they attract flies like no tomorrow. Check that property on a hot summer day before you buy.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:22 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,007,895 times
If you like the property, I say go for it. Unless of course you're paying extra for lots of outbuildings and horse facilities that you won't use.

Since you are retired, I hope you were looking at proposition 90 in El Dorado County. You can transfer your tax base if you buy less expensive property. Lots of details on the county website but it's a great deal if you owned your home in the bay area for a long time before selling.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:44 PM

372 posts, read 576,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
If you like the property, I say go for it. Unless of course you're paying extra for lots of outbuildings and horse facilities that you won't use.

Since you are retired, I hope you were looking at proposition 90 in El Dorado County. You can transfer your tax base if you buy less expensive property. Lots of details on the county website but it's a great deal if you owned your home in the bay area for a long time before selling.
Be sure, though, to check all the other taxes, uhm, assessments, you may have to pay if you move. Only your basic general assessment will transfer. That's very nice and will save you some $$$$, but other stuff gets tacked right on to your tax bill: school bonds, water and sewer upgrades, things like that. Check it out and be prepared!

Old 02-22-2015, 07:37 PM

Thank you all very much. Yes we are indeed taking for granted the prop 90!! It will save us money in the long run.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:13 PM

8 posts, read 16,483 times
There are some great options in the Sacramento area! It really just depends how close you want to be to shopping and amenities, and what kind of a budget you have in mind. There are great rural properties all around the area. Most property in Sacramento county will be more flat acreage, and many of the properties in Placer/El Dorado can have a little more tree cover, slope, and natural amenities (streams, rock outcroppings, views, etc.) If you're specifically looking to take advantage of prop 90, then Placer and Sacramento are out.
No you don't HAVE to use horse property for horses. Many properties get marketed as horse property to make sure the horsing community is included, but there is no mandatory use. Just make sure you dont pay extra for the horse facilities if you wont be using them, and like Caligirlz and Xenxes mentioned, be aware of the possibility of some odor and dust.
The other posts were correct about transferring your tax bases, and about extra "special assessment" taxes. However, the extra assessments are more common on newer subdivision/tract homes, so I think you should be clear on the larger acreage type properties. You can find the APN (Assessor Parcel Number) for any property you're interested in and search it through the county assessor websites. I can dig up the links and post them if you're interested.
The acreage you're looking for will dictate how far you may have to be from "town". If you're looking for 1-5 acres, you should be able to end up fairly close to shopping, food, etc. If you're looking for 10+ acres, you may need to get a little further out.
Also, if you're coming from the city, be aware that there are a few different things to watch for on rural property. Once you're far enough out, you'll end up on a well, septic, and propane. This isnt necessarily a bad thing, just different. Make sure you get these items inspected when you purchase a home. The down side is they will need to be maintained every 3, 5, or 10 years depending on age and use. The upside is that you're not paying as much for the public utility costs. If you find a 1-3 acre parcel closer to town you may end up with public water/sewer/gas. I grew up on a 20 acre rural property, and we never had an issues with our well or septic. (other than when my father accidentally hit one of the pipes with a backhoe of course haha)
I hope that information helps! It's a great area. Tons of outdoor activities, and you can be as involved or as quiet as you want to be. Feel free to ask any other questions as you narrow down different areas.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerbacon View Post
There are some great options in the Sacramento area! It really just depends how close you want to be to shopping and amenities, and what kind of a budget you have in mind. There are great rural properties all around the area. Most property in Sacramento county will be more flat acreage, and many of the properties in Placer/El Dorado can have a little more tree cover, slope, and natural amenities (streams, rock outcroppings, views, etc.) If you're specifically looking to take advantage of prop 90, then Placer and Sacramento are out.
No you don't HAVE to use horse property for horses. Many properties get marketed as horse property to make sure the horsing community is included, but there is no mandatory use. Just make sure you dont pay extra for the horse facilities if you wont be using them, and like Caligirlz and Xenxes mentioned, be aware of the possibility of some odor and dust.
The other posts were correct about transferring your tax bases, and about extra "special assessment" taxes. However, the extra assessments are more common on newer subdivision/tract homes, so I think you should be clear on the larger acreage type properties. You can find the APN (Assessor Parcel Number) for any property you're interested in and search it through the county assessor websites. I can dig up the links and post them if you're interested.
The acreage you're looking for will dictate how far you may have to be from "town". If you're looking for 1-5 acres, you should be able to end up fairly close to shopping, food, etc. If you're looking for 10+ acres, you may need to get a little further out.
Also, if you're coming from the city, be aware that there are a few different things to watch for on rural property. Once you're far enough out, you'll end up on a well, septic, and propane. This isnt necessarily a bad thing, just different. Make sure you get these items inspected when you purchase a home. The down side is they will need to be maintained every 3, 5, or 10 years depending on age and use. The upside is that you're not paying as much for the public utility costs. If you find a 1-3 acre parcel closer to town you may end up with public water/sewer/gas. I grew up on a 20 acre rural property, and we never had an issues with our well or septic. (other than when my father accidentally hit one of the pipes with a backhoe of course haha)
I hope that information helps! It's a great area. Tons of outdoor activities, and you can be as involved or as quiet as you want to be. Feel free to ask any other questions as you narrow down different areas.
Thank you thank you for your great response. We do want to take advantage of the prop 90. So we will stay looking in El Dorado County. 1 - 5 acres is good for us. Enough room to have space between neighbors. No animals just a dog!!!!! We did put an offer on a 5 acre horse property. It was beautiful. Our realtor called in the morning and told us there were 2 cash offers $10,000. over asking price. Knocked us out as we offered $5,000 over asking with a contingent on selling our house. Come to find out in the afternoon our realtor called us and told us they would accept our offer under the condition that we give a non refundable amount of $100,000.00. The seller wanted to make sure no-one would back out of contract. Well I have never heard of such an absurd thing. We did give our ernest money amount in contract. Don't know what happened to the other 2 buyers that bid over. Sounds suspicious. No wonder my husband and I have only moved twice in our lives. This is a big headache.!!!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:27 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,007,895 times
That is unusual and pretty unreasonable. Not sure your budget, but have you checked out Greenstone in Placerville. While horse friendly, most do not have horses but it's peaceful w 3-5 acre lots.

If your home is already listed and you're coming from the bay, contingent shouldn't be a big issue.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento