U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:49 PM

60 posts, read 75,142 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting some more information on living somewhere in the gold country. Currently I live in Sacramento, and I have been living here my whole life. It's a great city, but I am looking to move out somewhere soon that is just a bit smaller. I am working in the communications/PR field, while my girlfriend is a nurse, so there are a lot of places where we could go. Sacramento gets extremely hot in the summer, so we are looking at a climate that is a bit cooler. Also, we're looking for a safe city, one that we can go out at night, walk our dogs and not worry about anything. We aren't worried too much about nightlife, as Sac has a lot of that, but we are basically just looking for a cute quaint little town. Looking to rent if we can for now. Budget probably around 1200/mo.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by rnb17; 03-17-2015 at 05:02 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 11:27 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,096,271 times
If you are currently in Sac, the best thing is to go out on the weekends (or whenever you are off work) and scout the I80/Hwy 50 cities for yourself. There are a number to choose from & a large determiner will be how much of a commute you can stomach. I'm a fan of the Loomis/Penryn/Newcastle/Auburn area along I80. Colfax is poorer and rougher, with a more backwoods vibe. If you want really far out, look at Cool, Pilot Hill, Forest Hill, Georgetown. Some towns have a more redneck vibe (e.g. Placerville), others tend more cosmopolitan (like Auburn).

Old 03-22-2015, 01:06 PM

511 posts, read 422,412 times
Colfax is cheaper IF you stay out of places which use City Water. Meaning find somewhere with a well or live in an Apartiment or Condo. The water is really expensive. To avoid this you could move to Weimar which is adjacent Colfax. Chicago Park is very nice, and less expensive. It is slightly above Grass Valley

Auburn is very City-ish and more crowded but boasts great recreational areas which are often crowded.

Grass Valley is more laid back,slightly cheaper than Auburn but another 1/2 hr drive.

You drive maybe 10-15 minutes more from Colfax. I'd probably stick with Colfax if it were me and if you are going to buy, purchase on the outskirts of Colfax or buy a home with a well. Many of the outskirts are very close to the town but don't necessarily have the Colfax address, such as down Canyon Way. I am not very familiar with Hwy 174 which goes between Colfax and Grass Valley except it can be crowded, but homes may be cheaper along that route.

Last edited by MrsApt; 03-22-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 12:08 AM

239 posts, read 269,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
Colfax is cheaper IF you stay out of places which use City Water. Meaning find somewhere with a well or live in an Apartiment or Condo. The water is really expensive. To avoid this you could move to Weimar which is adjacent Colfax. Chicago Park is very nice, and less expensive. It is slightly above Grass Valley

Auburn is very City-ish and more crowded but boasts great recreational areas which are often crowded.

Grass Valley is more laid back,slightly cheaper than Auburn but another 1/2 hr drive.

You drive maybe 10-15 minutes more from Colfax. I'd probably stick with Colfax if it were me and if you are going to buy, purchase on the outskirts of Colfax or buy a home with a well. Many of the outskirts are very close to the town but don't necessarily have the Colfax address, such as down Canyon Way. I am not very familiar with Hwy 174 which goes between Colfax and Grass Valley except it can be crowded, but homes may be cheaper along that route.
Naw, I didn't see that world when I lived in Auburn. I mean ya its more built up than Colfax or Grass Valley, but the mentality there was backwards too I hate to break it to you. People just hid it better but much of it still has a hills have eyes feel.. That whole Gold Country area is bad. I say if the OP is used to the city, stay around there just find some better place to live nearby, even Vacaville if he has to. Anywhere but Auburn, Placerville, Colfax or Grass Valley though. Nevada City is literally untouchable.

But ya don't mislead the OP by saying Auburn is city-ish, it still has a LONG way to go. a long long long way to go still until it gets anywhere near as cosmopolitan as Sacramento and even Sacramento has a ways to go next to other metros. That's my 2 cents.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:09 AM

So ya based on everything I wrote so far, consider yourself warned OP if you do choose to move to the hills or any of those towns. Even Newcastle I wouldn't either.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGateway View Post
Naw, I didn't see that world when I lived in Auburn. I mean ya its more built up than Colfax or Grass Valley, but the mentality there was backwards too I hate to break it to you. People just hid it better but much of it still has a hills have eyes feel.. That whole Gold Country area is bad. I say if the OP is used to the city, stay around there just find some better place to live nearby, even Vacaville if he has to. Anywhere but Auburn, Placerville, Colfax or Grass Valley though. Nevada City is literally untouchable.

But ya don't mislead the OP by saying Auburn is city-ish, it still has a LONG way to go. a long long long way to go still until it gets anywhere near as cosmopolitan as Sacramento and even Sacramento has a ways to go next to other metros. That's my 2 cents.
I am not misled, I lived there until just a few months ago.

When we are in Sacramento, the feel is similar to Auburn because both are crowded and both are City.

BUT...I also lived off of one of the most dangerous Highways, and one of the most busiest Highways, in the U.S

To the rest of your post, not sure what you mean but when you get further up, Colfax, Grass Valley, N.C and stuff, it seems much friendlier. They wave to people they don't even know.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:45 PM

89 posts, read 111,031 times
Quote:

When we are in Sacramento, the feel is similar to Auburn because both are crowded and both are City.

BUT...I also lived off of one of the most dangerous Highways, and one of the most busiest Highways, in the U.S

To the rest of your post, not sure what you mean but when you get further up, Colfax, Grass Valley, N.C and stuff, it seems much friendlier. They wave to people they don't even know.

Sac and Auburn are not crowded or real cities. Sac is small, boring and dull. Auburn is actually more interesting considering it's natural beauty, probably a good move.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Again, not really true. The area is extremely closed off. Personally I would tell the OP to RUN the other way from all of it. And if people are nice or seem nice there, they are pretending more than likely but really hate your a55.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGateway View Post
Again, not really true. The area is extremely closed off. Personally I would tell the OP to RUN the other way from all of it. And if people are nice or seem nice there, they are pretending more than likely but really hate your a55.
I agree there does seem like alot of pretending going on to some degree.
We moved to a town about 25 minutes away, people here seem more genuine

Old 03-31-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife09 View Post
Sac and Auburn are not crowded or real cities. Sac is small, boring and dull. Auburn is actually more interesting considering it's natural beauty, probably a good move.
I can agree with the latter. Sacramento does seem boring compared to Auburn which has excellent recreational opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or