Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:01 AM

6,881 posts, read 8,220,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Not really. Elk Grove and Stockton are like 30 minutes apart.
Your obsession with trying to make Sacramento look bad is so transparent. I mean really.

Now you want to connect the City of Elk Grove, which has a low violent crime rate of 2.95, less than the national average of 3.8 and even less than the California average of 4.02 with Stockton which is the 10th most dangerous city in America.

Do realize how close Oakland(13th dangerous city in America) and Richmond(Dangerous city) are to good neighborhoods in the East Bay?

For example, Oakland is 5-20 miles from really nice neighborhoods in the East Bay - Your argument is lame about Elk Grove and Stockton which are approx. 40 miles apart.

Oakland and Orinda are only 8 miles apart and the Orinda BART station is only one BART station away from dangerous Oakland Bart stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,492 times
I would say Sacramento is generally safe but areas like North Highlands, Antelope, and some of Natomas are bad. Also from South Sac to about Elk Grove is complete ghetto and you don't want to go there. Elk Grove used to be nice family suburbs but its proximity to South Sac made its schools full of drug problems and the neighborhoods got really cheap. Anyway i would stay in East Sac or Midtown even like just north of downtown is fine like Fulton.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:01 PM

97 posts, read 118,531 times
Depends on how you define dangerous. There are a lot of safe places to live and raise a family in Sacramento. Crime can occur anywhere at anytime. Yes, some pocketed areas can be a lot of worse then others, but unless there are specific reasons why would you even drive through there let alone stroll through those areas?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,790,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
or property is being damaged, such as a guy walking through the neighborhood sticking a knife in every tire he passed. By the time they do arrive, if they arrive, there is no one left who was causing the trouble and the responding officers will not even take a report, keeping statistics skewed.
Why doesn't a creep like that get the crap beaten out of him? A few neighbors with baseball bats, and voila.....

Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,814,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOBJOE View Post
I would say Sacramento is generally safe but areas like North Highlands, Antelope, and some of Natomas are bad. Also from South Sac to about Elk Grove is complete ghetto and you don't want to go there. Elk Grove used to be nice family suburbs but its proximity to South Sac made its schools full of drug problems and the neighborhoods got really cheap. Anyway i would stay in East Sac or Midtown even like just north of downtown is fine like Fulton.
You prefer Fulton Ave over Elk Grove????? seriously????

Old 09-03-2015, 12:56 PM

21,716 posts, read 24,949,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searching4myhome View Post
This question always seems to spark debate. I live in the city, and I've met about as many people who say they feel safe here as I have those who say they feel unsafe. I think the answer really depends on who you are and where you came from. I would not say that Sacramento is very safe or very dangerous. I would advise taking normal precautions like cb73 mentioned (lock doors, look alert while walking alone at night, don't leave your valuables sitting in the coffee shop while in the restroom, etc). I wouldn't say there're a lot of shootings. Occasionally I hear about muggings, but most of the violent crimes I hear of are between people who know each other and are upset/fighting with each other etc. The majority of crimes I hear of have to do with property being destroyed or stolen.

I have lived here all of my life as well (I'm 28 years old). The population has grown, and I definitely feel gradually less safe over time. I lived in the Natomas area for a few years, and moved out of there about six years ago because I saw increasing amounts of shrines for murder victims, signs about keeping eyes open for rapists in the area, etc. From what I have heard, that area has not improved. I have never felt safe in Del Paso Heights area. Lately, I have felt safest in East Sacramento and Midtown.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your move! :-)
Which is rather funny as Midtown has one of the higher violent crime rates in Sacramento, up there with the most of the semi-sketchy areas of South Natomas. Natomas really depends where you're at. Where I was, I always felt safe, but that was at the western most end of El Camino. The farther you go, the worse it gets down to El Camino and Del Paso which is as bad as Sacramento gets. Personally, Midtown mostly doesn't feel unsafe to me but it's an area where I do pay attention to my surroundings, especially at night. It's nowhere near bad enough that I would avoid the area out of concerns for my safety like I would Old North Sac/Noralto... not much reason to be there anyway though.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:35 AM

447 posts, read 649,583 times
I haven't seen enough of sacramento to know the various parts well but I find roseville to be a very clean and idyllic area

Old 09-06-2015, 01:29 AM

3,814 posts, read 3,993,304 times
Safety is a matter of perception. Would I walk my dog at 2am down Del Paso? No.

But midtown is where I am more likely to get hit by a drunk driver or assualted by rowdy people leaving the bars.

Sac PD has a wild west mentality. Midtown bars are not policed, because the operation brings in so much revenue. Oh but if you skip out on the tab at the bar the cops will some how get there in seconds. The lack of police visability in the core makes the area seem a bit sketch.

Same with Oakland.

Even though SF is actually more dangerous, people FEEL safe on Market. It is well lit, lots of people, and cops.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:17 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,249,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Oh but if you skip out on the tab at the bar the cops will some how get there in seconds.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:21 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,462,572 times
Depends where you live. I live in the pocket greenhaven area and will sleep with windows open and no fear of anyone ever coming in even if I left my front door unlocked (I'm not saying I do it, I just say I don't have fear of it). My neighborhood also has private security that passes my house every 15 minutes 24/7. Pocket Greenhaven is about 4 miles by 3 square miles and the crime is very very low. I've seen 1 shrine in the 15 years I've lived here and about 5 cop cars patrolling over the same timeframe.

However as others have said, the Arden/Del Paso Heights, south Sac, and parts of Notomas and West Sac can be bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento