Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 03:02 AM

16 posts, read 20,079 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are thinking of moving to Sacramento. Looking for a bigger city to live in. I am a single mom, 40 yo, healthcare professional, and will be working in one of the hospitals in Sacramento. I’d like to figure out what neighboorhood to live in and then choose which hospital to apply to. I currently commute to work 45 minutes each way, would prefer the commute to be less then that if possible. I got overwhelmed with the info on greatschool.com and not sure what is located in which neighboorhood.

Places I considred so far:
Rooseville/Rocklyn are great but I have read about the air quality in Rooseville (I have asthma), and also it is a bit too remote from the center of Sacramento/airport/places to meet other single peple etc.
Davis (but would like a bigger city with less expensive housing)
- now on my list are East Sac, Carmichael and El Dorado Hills. Looking to expand the list! Any ideas are welcome.

Here is what we are looking for in order of priority:

1. Good public Schools (middle and high schools)- my daughter will start 8th grade in the fall and then high school in a year.

2. Community: We live currently in a safe neighboorhood with friendly neighboors, looking for the same.

We are looking to rent a good 3 bedroom appartment or a town home in a family oriented community and close to schools.

Any recommendations for apartment complexes or for a realtor that can help us to find a home for rent? Any areas or appartment complexes to avoid?
Would like rent to be under $2000 per month, the less the better. Hopefully somewhere around $1200 or so.

Russian-speaking families in the neighboorhood would be an extra plus (but not mandatory)- I would like my daughter to be able to speak Russian with other people except me

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
I appreciate your help and feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 02:34 PM

Your advice will be greatly appreciated

Old 03-26-2015, 03:25 PM

572 posts, read 599,209 times
Hi Apple - where will you be moving from?

I'm not sure about Russian speaking communities, but others may have some advice on neighborhoods to look into. There was this thread a little while ago:
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...rimia-any.html

Depending on what might trigger your asthma - much of Sacramento area might pose similar problems to Roseville. The pollen counts are quite high at certain times of the year and air pollution in general can be high. Areas such as Folsom and EDH sometimes have worse air pollution as pollutants collect up against the foothills there. Places closer to downtown and south get more of the "Delta breeze" which can cool down the air and clean it a little better in the summer months.

Areas considered safe and that have good schools seem to be frequent topics on this forum. Suburbs such as EDH, Folsom, Rocklin, Roseville and parts of Elk Grove are generally considered safe and have good solid school systems. Fair Oaks and Carmichael have some highly rated schools also - for high schools...Rio Americano in Arden/Carmichael and Bella Vista in Fair Oaks.

If you prefer to be closer into Sacramento then McClatchy High School in Land Park and Sutter middle school in East Sac are the sought after schools in Sacramento Unified School District. If you don't mind an older, smaller home then you might be able to get a rental in East Sac or Land Park for your budget. There are not many apartment options in East Sac. Here are a couple of recent inquiries similar to yours:
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...2015-help.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...l#post38778216

Try this application for apartment/house rentals. You can put in your parameters and explore what's available in different parts of Sacramento within your budget.
Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

This apartment complex gets mixed reviews...although I've been here several times and it seems really nice and well maintained. The people I know who live there like it. Its super convenient to a lot of things and would be assigned to Rio Americano High School. They will also do a month-to-month or short-term lease if you want to get a feel for the area. It might be a good place to start.
http://www.selbyranch.com/index.aspx

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by JohnS_15; 03-26-2015 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: additional info added

Old 03-27-2015, 01:00 AM

JohnS_15 and brotherfromthegutter, thank you very much for all the info.

JohnS_15, your links are awesome, will help me a lot!

Old 03-28-2015, 12:37 AM

Anyone else? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Old 03-30-2015, 06:32 PM

30 posts, read 44,128 times
I think you would enjoy Roseville. There are a lot of Ukrainian and Russian families in my neighborhood in East Roseville. There is also a lot to do here and plenty of singles. Rocklin is nice too and borders Roseville.

You may also want to look into Folsom. Amazing schools and I'm not just saying that because I grew up there;-)

Old 03-31-2015, 12:08 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple77 View Post

We are thinking of moving to Sacramento. Looking for a bigger city to live in. I am a single mom, 40 yo, healthcare professional, and will be working in one of the hospitals in Sacramento. I’d like to figure out what neighboorhood to live in and then choose which hospital to apply to. I currently commute to work 45 minutes each way, would prefer the commute to be less then that if possible.

Places I considred so far:
Rooseville/Rocklyn are great but I have read about the air quality in Rooseville (I have asthma), and also it is a bit too remote from the center of Sacramento/airport/places to meet other single peple etc.
Davis (but would like a bigger city with less expensive housing)
- now on my list are East Sac, Carmichael and El Dorado Hills. Looking to expand the list! Any ideas are welcome.

Here is what we are looking for in order of priority:
1. Good public Schools
2. Community: We live currently in a safe neighboorhood with friendly neighboors, looking for the same.

Russian-speaking families in the neighboorhood would be an extra plus (but not mandatory)- I would like my daughter to be able to speak Russian with other people except me
Here's a list of hospitals in the area >
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...acramento.html

Folsom has one hospital - Mercy Folsom and EDH has none. They are somewhat close to Marshall Medical Center in Placerville, though, it is certainly not a highly desired facility.
If you have any specific questions about hospitals or other healthcare jobs, feel free to PM me as I'm an RN also.

As for the air quality and asthma. I would rule out anywhere in the older treed areas in town, specifically places like East Sac (near Mercy General, Sutter General & UCDMC) because of the tree coverage UNLESS you have a really good hepa filter. There is also an awful green dust that covers everything which means no open windows. We've been talking about allergies in another thread. Here > //www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...en-season.html

I would suggest living closer to work & driving to the Russian communities. There was a recent thread on this very same topic.
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...rimia-any.html
I've found that most neighborhoods are friendly to their own kind. I don't drink or do the bar scene, and I've found that the suburbs are more friendly than other areas around town. But, I'm sure others will come on with a completely different opinion.

Other rental websites to check:
(my fav) http://www.sacrentals.com/
http://homepointe.com/leasing_information.asp
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/California/
http://www.wildwoodprop.com/display_rentals2.php
http://www.tiner.com/homes-for-rent
http://www.ctlapartmentscalifornia.com/

Again if you have any professional related questions, feel free to PM me.
Good luck.

Last edited by caligirlz; 03-31-2015 at 12:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento