Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:21 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,334,812 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the OP is selling his home in Granite Bay. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilknarf View Post
OMG, especially if you want the good life, go 25 miles NE of Sacramento to Granite Bay.
I feel so deprived. Lived in Sacramento for 20 years and only went to Granite Bay once.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:11 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,732,686 times
Seems to me that for $400-900k you could find yourself a nice spread in most places.

I am not making accusations, but the OP read like script out Spamalot. Still, I am glad the person likes their digs.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:01 AM

239 posts, read 325,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The last time I was in Granite Bay was when I was installing alarm systems back in the 1980s. Don't feel like I'm missing anything. Prices for car tune-ups, gas and lunches sound pretty much the same as we pay in Midtown, which is where Granite Bay folks go when they get bored of Granite Bay and pretend that they're not part of the Sacramento metro area.

Basically, if you're white, and really want to live as whitely as possible surrounded by other white people, Granite Bay is the place for you to be white and not feel bad about it.
Granite Bay is like highly tamed preppy Connecticut. You see shades of that kind of thing but not preppy like the east coast. For some reason I connected with it a little more than I did Auburn though. Not that I love the area but if I had money and lived around Sacramento, I would probably live in GB and this comes from a New Englander who spent time in that area.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
The nicest place in Granite Bay is along Folsom-Auburn Road or the newer housing closer to East Roseville. Otherwise, most of it is pretty old. I mostly just drive through it. Not much there.

Glad the OP LOVES it.
People focused on the fact that Granite Bay was very snobby compared to the other towns but you know, I didn't see it that way. I thought the area was snobby period and most of it I didn't even run into when I went to Granite Bay. A lot was actually those redneck types who tried to look more upscale in the Rocklin/Roseville/Auburn area.. They were a bigger annoyance because you'd think redneck/working class means nice, humble, easy going with the crazies here and there, but many of em were snobs surprisingly. Point is to me, Granite Bay isn't the worst place for snobs.. it all is frankly. Roseville, absolutely as well.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Pretty typical Placer County--"We're a great place to live, not because of things that are here, but things that are near here, like all those jobs in Sacramento and Folsom!"

And I appreciate Mr. Opinionated's snark. "Granite Bay--it's a great place to get racially profiled!"
The whole place is a good place to get racially profiled.. Roseville, Rocklin, Auburn.. All of it. If anything GB might look past it.

I interviewed for the National Alliance so some could consider me the opposite wing from you but I came from an east coast state and had an accent and was seen as different by a good amount. I didn't get served once at a bar either, Valencia Club. But because I am ethno Mediterranean looking, it was considered ok to discriminate but if you walked in, I'm sure they'd be smiling in front of you.. I mean ya they wouldn't really like you but they'd pretend out of political correctness and fear being called racist. I also felt I didn't get hired either due to discriminatory practices. My last name isn't exactly jones or smith. I can be real with you here, whether you like white people or not, I wont call it race baiting. People have to speak on their experiences without censorship. The races aren't meant to get along when forced to live with eachother, I fully get it and I believe it. I felt forced to live there where I didn't wanna be either for a time and felt just like that for my own experiences even though I'm not black. A few locals I'm sure thought I was an arab though esp when I had a beard and talked more northeastern. In fact a woman literally did say she thought I would bomb her and wanted my information. So ya its just more PC to not say it to someone black but they'd do it to me if push came to shove.

And as far as the Jones/Smith thing, you might get a call on an application for an interview if you have one of those, but once they hear your voice they probably don't call back or something or if they see you, they think you talk white and then bring you in for an interview.. I get it all.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:17 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,665,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Me View Post
OP are you a real estate agent?
And if not an RE agent, I'm betting he/she has a place on the market.

Granite Bay, indicative of the entitled go-to-hell attitude, is the biggest water user in the greater Sacto area. Gotta keep all those expansive lawns & golf courses looking perky!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:36 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,665,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGateway View Post
The whole place is a good place to get racially profiled.. Roseville, Rocklin, Auburn.. All of it. If anything GB might look past it.

I interviewed for the National Alliance so some could consider me the opposite wing from you but I came from an east coast state and had an accent and was seen as different by a good amount. I didn't get served once at a bar either, Valencia Club. But because I am ethno Mediterranean looking, it was considered ok to discriminate .
OMG! The Valencia Club as in the Penryn dive bar?? Do tell, other than dressing in drag (which might be a real red flag) what does one have to do or be not to be served there -- are you willing to share the whole story? As for "ethno Mediterranean looking," a lot of the old money original orchardists in the greater Loomis/Penryn/Newcastle area were Portugese, are still proudly so, and pretty "Mediterranean looking." There's even an historical "Portugese Hall" in Newcastle.

OP, I'm not doubting that you may have had some unpleasant experiences in Placer Co. In general, it's very red-state, and racially pretty white (at least the folks with money & power tend to be).

Old 04-09-2015, 10:46 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,814,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGateway View Post
People focused on the fact that Granite Bay was very snobby compared to the other towns but you know, I didn't see it that way. I thought the area was snobby period and most of it I didn't even run into when I went to Granite Bay.

A lot was actually those redneck types who tried to look more upscale in the Rocklin/Roseville/Auburn area.. They were a bigger annoyance because you'd think redneck/working class means nice, humble, easy going with the crazies here and there, but many of em were snobs surprisingly.

Point is to me, Granite Bay isn't the worst place for snobs.. it all is frankly. Roseville, absolutely as well.
Snobs are everywhere and are not necessarily associated with a geographical location, at least in the Sacto region.

Rednecks, working case, snobs.... Our interpretation of types of people is our opinion. I'm sure you & I would disagree, who is or who isn't a snob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento