Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:31 PM

89 posts, read 131,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento's Midtown is a ton of fun, and there are very safe places like Folsom, Roseville, Rocklin, El Dorado Hills.

Comparing Sacramento to SF and LA is pointless for the most part in terms of big national and international status.

If Sacramento wants strive to be "more" than it is, then Portland, Denver, Austin, Orlando, San Antonio, KC, San Diego are more within our reach -- not that we want to be exactly like any of those cities, rather there are pieces of each of those cities that we can borrow from.

My favorite places in LA are the city beaches, Venice/Santa Monica - not exactly safe.

Next favorite in LA is Hollywood, Weho, Silverlake/Loz Feliz - you have to watch your back there too, not exactly safe.

I wouldn't call downtown Sac ghetto, the homeless are fairly harmless. Oakland is a lot scarier.

Sacramentans for the most part really don't give a damn if Sacramento is nationally recognized or not although it is happening organically.
Sac desperately needs to improve. Midtown is fun but it's a small part of town and places like the cities you mentioned above (SD, KC, Portland) all have areas that a much nicer and more fun than midtown. Who cares if Rocklin, Folsom and Roseville are safe. Those are boring suburban places with absolutely nothing going on.

Sac really needs to change it's national reputation in order to draw people back to the city. The majority of smart, successful people from Sac immediately leave when given the opportunity because they know Sac is a boring place with nothing unique about it. Maybe things will change when downtown is developed but for now it's a city with no character and no national appeal. Truly the only thing interesting about Sac is its proximity to sf, tahoe and napa. Other than that... not much to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Great thread. I just spent 2 days in Monterey, and on my trip I experienced the following rude behavior:

(3) A driver tailgaited me so close I was certain she'd rear end me if the car ahead of me slowed even slightly. She then cut into the next lane and jumped ahead of me, and each time I tried to change lanes she eased her car 1/4 - 1/2 of the way into that lane to block me, then quickly cut back into her lane.
Oh my God, that was me, SORRY, LOL,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
These were the most noteable instances. Just reminded me how my life use to be in the north bay, with agressive, stressed out people. I am SO glad to be back in Sacramento. Though I will prob leave here at some point (just to experience a change), I love it for all of the reasons you listed. It's a great area.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponsor83 View Post
Santa monica not safe? Maybe the few blocks by the local city college. Otherwise it doesn't get much safer except for maybe Irvine. I was just saying that urban and crime dont always go hand in hand...nothing to do with sac trying to be an international city
When I lived in "Little Santa Monica Canyon", our little bungalow was broken into. Just north of San Vicente Blvd, the canyon neighborhood just above the very southern end of Will Rogers Beach. But I hear ya, Santa Monica is safe.

I lived in Santa Monica, Weho(just below Sunset), Hollywood(west of La Brea, north of Sunset), Los Feliz(just south of Los Feliz blvd) Hancock Park(LA's first Beverly Hills), and North Hollywood.

I know LA well, very well.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife09 View Post
Sac desperately needs to improve. Midtown is fun but it's a small part of town and places like the cities you mentioned above (SD, KC, Portland) all have areas that a much nicer and more fun than midtown. Who cares if Rocklin, Folsom and Roseville are safe. Those are boring suburban places with absolutely nothing going on.

Sac really needs to change it's national reputation in order to draw people back to the city. The majority of smart, successful people from Sac immediately leave when given the opportunity because they know Sac is a boring place with nothing unique about it. Maybe things will change when downtown is developed but for now it's a city with no character and no national appeal. Truly the only thing interesting about Sac is its proximity to sf, tahoe and napa. Other than that... not much to discuss.
If Sacramento is so uninteresting to you, then why do you spend so much time in Sacramento threads. I don't particularly like Phoenix or Fresno but I don't hang out in their threads and comment on every positive thing someone says about those places.

You go so far out of your way to discredit Sacramento. You have some kind of strange personal "hate" for Sacramento, and you don't even live here.

It's interesting that you never talk about where you live rather it's all about how bad someplace else is. It would be like if a spent a lot of time writing about Riverside all the while not living there.

Smart successful people leave their hometowns for other larger cities for many different reasons, and many come back.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:16 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I love Sacramento and I'm very glad that I finally get to live here (had to wait a long time, until my husband finally decided to retire). In the 70s & 80s I lived in Vacaville (IMO that place is a very hot, boring s*** hole). Every weekend I would take the kids to Sac, and it was always fun, rafting, shopping, batting cages, walking around old Sac, whatever struck our fancy.

People who complain about crime here have obviously never spent time Vallejo, Richmond or East Oakland. I live in Carmichael and there's really no crime here. Occasionally I hear the Sheriff's helicopters overhead but most of the time they are pursuing a suspect who stole a car from another part of the county.

I just don't have any complaints about Sacramento, and when I read someone's gripes about it I wonder if perhaps it's not geography at all that is causing them grief but rather their own personal issues that they won't or can't own.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
If Sacramento is so uninteresting to you, then why do you spend so much time in Sacramento threads. I don't particularly like Phoenix or Fresno but I don't hang out in their threads and comment on every positive thing someone says about those places.

You go so far out of your way to discredit Sacramento. You have some kind of strange personal "hate" for Sacramento, and you don't even live here.

It's interesting that you never talk about where you live rather it's all about how bad someplace else is. It would be like if a spent a lot of time writing about Riverside all the while not living there.

Smart successful people leave their hometowns for other larger cities for many different reasons, and many come back.
I live in Sac and grew up here, so I know it very well. I also have lived in many other cities. Sac in comparison is so boring, bland and lifeless. I talk about it because I want it to improve and reach the level of other similar sized cities. It has a lot of potential but due to terrible urban planning and a population highly resistant to progress (arena development issue for example), the city is literally 20-30 years behind similar sized areas (Portland, SD, Denver). Personally, I will be moving out of Sac immediately once given the opportunity but I hope it does change in the future and reaches that potential.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I also have lived in many other cities.
According to you, smart successful people leave and never come back, funny that you came back, after living in "many other cities".

Old 04-06-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
According to you, smart successful people leave and never come back, funny that you came back, after living in "many other cities".
I said "the majority," guess you missed that. Also I was forced to come back due to my medical training, wasn't a choice.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:35 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
I said "the majority," guess you missed that. Also I was forced to come back due to my medical training, wasn't a choice.
I hope you find your way out of here as fast as possible.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:52 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Is no one allowed to have a differing opinion here? Belittling those who disagree is not very tolerant of you midtownies (thanks Nick).

I think there are pros & cons about the Sacramento region.

Since the majority of the I LOVE SACTO posters are living in midtown, I would suggest that anyone considering moving here, join them. Please help keep the suburbs congestion free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento