Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:35 PM

25 posts, read 44,957 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm SUPER excited might husband is getting a job proposal to work in Roseville. I'm sick and tired of Los Angeles (after 15 years) and how expensive it to raise a family anyways. That being said, I do enjoy how much you can do here as far as family activities, eating out and dates...
Plus, my son goes to an amazing charter school here, which is notoriously better than a lot o private ones even.

Sooooo, any pointers about this city? I've been looking at housing prices and I loooooove it how affordable it is... At the same time it kinda scares me.... Too good to be true????

They wanna actually open a new business with him.

How's the economy over there?

How good are the school districts?

What areas are safer (if there's any non safe areas) and better to live and for school?

Are people welcoming? I'm a Brazilian with an accent, so that kinda concerns me.

Thanks again in advance since we know nothing about this place at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 05:11 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianala28 View Post
Hi there! I'm SUPER excited might husband is getting a job proposal to work in Roseville. I'm sick and tired of Los Angeles (after 15 years) and how expensive it to raise a family anyways. That being said, I do enjoy how much you can do here as far as family activities, eating out and dates...
Plus, my son goes to an amazing charter school here, which is notoriously better than a lot of private ones even.

Sooooo, any pointers about this city? I've been looking at housing prices and I loooooove it how affordable it is... At the same time it kinda scares me.... Too good to be true????

What areas are safer (if there's any non safe areas) and better to live and for school?

Are people welcoming? I'm a Brazilian with an accent, so that kinda concerns me.

The economy is as decent as the California economy is nowadays, which may not be saying much, but it is no worse than down there, and much cheaper for housing.

If your husband actually works in Roseville, all for the best. The one drawback to the place is many people commute elsewhere to work and that can be tedious. (Then again, you are coming from Los Angeles, so never mind even that objection.)

Public schools are top notch.

Even the "bad" part of Roseville near the freight train yards (because of hobos jumping on and off freight trains) is still pleasant all in all.

You might miss the ocean however.

Last edited by NickB1967; 04-28-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 PM

251 posts, read 376,022 times
Quote:
Plus, my son goes to an amazing charter school here, which is notoriously better than a lot o private ones even.

Economy is picking up as with most of the country.

School districts are good and depending on where you choose to live you have options.

I tend to stay away from if an area is "safe" or not as it's really subjective and what one might find safe another will not. Also it depends on what your price point is to determine what areas are available to you.

Do you plan on living in Roseville or living in a nearby city and commuting?

Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjones View Post
Economy is picking up as with most of the country.

School districts are good and depending on where you choose to live you have options.

I tend to stay away from if an area is "safe" or not as it's really subjective and what one might find safe another will not. Also it depends on what your price point is to determine what areas are available to you.

Do you plan on living in Roseville or living in a nearby city and commuting?
I was planing on living in Roseview, since it seems that's where my husband is gonna be working, at least in the beginning... Now, if you tell me there are better neighborhoods, safer and with better schools, comutting is definitely but a big issue, we're pretty much used to it here.
Of course it would be better but to have to do so, however here in L.A. 30 minute drive is considered living close to your work... Hehehe

Old 04-28-2015, 08:34 PM

251 posts, read 376,022 times
Around Roseville you Rocklin, Granite Bay and Folsom/El Dorado Hills aren't that far away. El Dorado Hills is the farthest but still probably less that you might have commuted in L.A. Based on the map below you can also see Elk Grove is pretty good but the commute might be too far for your husband.

Here you can view the school ratings: School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? Gated community? Lots of parks? Walking distance to shops?

Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Around Roseville you Rocklin, Granite Bay and Folsom/El Dorado Hills aren't that far away. El Dorado Hills is the farthest but still probably less that you might have commuted in L.A. Based on the map below you can also see Elk Grove is pretty good but the commute might be too far for your husband.

Here you can view the school ratings: School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? Gated community? Lots of parks? Walking distance to shops?
Gates community would be awesome... But we're definitely not buying anything right away, so I was thinking to rent something for 2K. I'd love a house with backyard, however, I'm aware with this budget we won't find anything with a swimming pool and my son loooooves it.
Is there any decent places that he can go for a day of swimming? Otherwise I'm thinking it would have to be a townhome with swimming pool...
So is it a good place over there? Would u recommend it to raise a family???

Old 04-28-2015, 11:44 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:

I cant think of an undesirable location in Roseville. Of course, depending on if you want new McMansion/condo vs older with character.

I find Placer County to be very friendly & welcoming.

Be sure to check out the local Brazilian steak house, delicious!! and authentic per my Brazilian personal trainer. Flame and Fire - Churrascaria Brazilian Steakhouse coming soon| Flame And Fire Churrascaria Brazilian Steack House

Since you will be renting, I'd suggest the condos near Sutter Roseville, instead of the condos near the Galleria.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:50 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Around Roseville you Rocklin, Granite Bay and Folsom/El Dorado Hills aren't that far away. El Dorado Hills is the farthest but still probably less that you might have commuted in L.A.
I live in Folsom and I would absolutely NOT recommend living in Folsom/EDH & commuting daily to Roseville. There is no direct route, no freeways, and only highly traveled surface roads with lots of stop lights. The only way I would suggest doing this, is if one lived on the north/western side of Folsom near Orangevale or Granite Bay.

I would also NOT recommend living in Elk Grove & commuting to Roseville. That's an awful commute. You should be able to find whatever you need in Roseville/ Rocklin or even Lincoln.

I see your son goes to a charter school, here's the Placer & Sacramento County lists.
Charter Schools in Placer County (CA Dept of Education)
Charter Schools in Sacramento County (CA Dept of Education)

Old 04-29-2015, 07:25 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
I agree that if working in Roseville, look at living in Roseville or Rocklin. Great neighborhoods and schools. The commute to Folsom or El Dorado Hills is all heavily traveled roads with many, many stop lights. No fun at all.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:09 PM

30 posts, read 44,092 times
I live in Roseville and love it here. It is a very large city with 3 different zip codes and neighbored by another nice city Rocklin which has 2 zip codes. You would have no trouble finding neighborhoods to fall in love with. Plenty of gated neighborhoods also.

Roseville/Rocklin is a perfect place to raise a family. There are top notch schools everywhere you turn and plenty of parks and recreation for families to enjoy. You'll see what I mean once you visit the area.

As far as a pool goes, you might be able to find a rental with a pool at your budget. If not there are public pools, an aquatic center and a huge water park in the area with season passes available for under $100.

https://roseville.ca.us/parks/parks_...ol/default.asp

Roseville Golfland-Sunsplash-California waterpark and family fun center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento