Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:12 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
As I've been watering my lawn less and less this year, I've noticed a change. It wasn't that the grass just was getting brown, it was that California burclover was growing like crazy. If you're not familiar with that, it's a clover that produces brown burs that get caught in pet fur and hurt when you step on them. The places where it's taken over, the grass is totally dead and gone.

I was looking for references to it online and found numerous references from the last drought from people who let their lawn go brown and ended up having large expanses of burclover. They had to dig it all out, screen out all the burs--the seeds are good for several years--then totally re-sod the lawn.

All the people advocating "just let your lawn go brown--it will come back"--I wonder how many people will end up with a lawn full of weeds and no grass left.
That's exactly why I do and will continue to water my lawn everyday. Screw the drought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:13 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
As I've been watering my lawn less and less this year, I've noticed a change. It wasn't that the grass just was getting brown, it was that California burclover was growing like crazy. If you're not familiar with that, it's a clover that produces brown burs that get caught in pet fur and hurt when you step on them. The places where it's taken over, the grass is totally dead and gone.

I was looking for references to it online and found numerous references from the last drought from people who let their lawn go brown and ended up having large expanses of burclover. They had to dig it all out, screen out all the burs--the seeds are good for several years--then totally re-sod the lawn.

All the people advocating "just let your lawn go brown--it will come back"--I wonder how many people will end up with a lawn full of weeds and no grass left.
that burclover crap grows like crazy, and it doesn't seem to need water either.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:18 AM

264 posts, read 413,657 times
The fake turfs are beginning to look pretty good StarPro Greens Centipede Southwest Synthetic Lawn Grass Turf, Sold by 15 ft. W rolls x Your L ($2.97/Sq. Ft. Equivalent)-RGB7 - The Home Depot

Works if you don't have a dog

Old 05-09-2015, 12:18 PM

276 posts, read 364,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
And if you don't live in the City of Sacramento. In fact you have to have 60% of your front yard with "living vegetation". Concrete, mulch, fake grass and other ground covers that do not require water are prohibited.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:34 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
For the people moving to fake lawns--when the rains come will the soil erode?

I have 'groundwater intrusion' at the back of my house that the French drains didn't totally fix--I need a full re-grade and better drains. I've found that growing mint--or even weeds--against the back of the house helps tremendously as the roots help soak up the water before it seeps up into the back rooms.

I'm imagining people making massive changes and then during a seriously rainy winter they end up with flooding and erosion.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
And if you don't live in the City of Sacramento. In fact you have to have 60% of your front yard with "living vegetation". Concrete, mulch, fake grass and other ground covers that do not require water are prohibited.
huh? I don't follow that..I live in Carmichael, there are no rules like that here. In fact the only place I have run across those kinds of rules are in an HOA

Old 05-09-2015, 09:13 PM

276 posts, read 364,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
huh? I don't follow that..I live in Carmichael, there are no rules like that here. In fact the only place I have run across those kinds of rules are in an HOA
See Sacramento City Code 17.612.010.

Single-unit and duplex dwellings—Front-yard and street side-yard setbacks.

a. Setback area paving restrictions. A maximum of 40% of the required front-yard setback may be paved for off-street parking and driveways. An additional maximum of 10% of the front-yard setback may be paved for walkways or uncovered patio use. A maximum of 40% of the required street side-yard setback may be paved for off-street parking, driveways, walkways, or uncovered patio use; however, this maximum limitation does not apply to that portion of the street side-yard located behind a fence that is in compliance with the street side fence requirements set forth in chapter 17.620.

b. Landscape and maintenance requirements. The unpaved portion of a front-yard setback and street side-yard setback shall be landscaped, irrigated, and maintained. The landscape may include grass, annuals, perennials, groundcover, shrubs, trees, and any design elements such as planters, rocks, mulch, or similar elements when integrated as part of the landscape. However, only living vegetation may be used as a primary ground cover; no cement, brick, artificial turf, or other non-vegetative products such as plastic plants or flowers may be used for this purpose. All landscaping materials shall be mowed, trimmed, and maintained as often as necessary to prevent overgrowth and blight. No junk, debris, or other similar materials shall be stored in the landscaped setback area.

I have had fights with code enforcement over these provisions. Several years ago, I had replaced my lawn with drought tolerant plants surrounded by mulch with walkways of lava stone. A neighbor complained and I was instructed to remove everything and put the lawn back within two weeks or face fines. He measured the area and informed me how much surface I could have that was not covered with a "living vegetation" ground cover. I had no choice but to install sod to get it acceptable within the time frame.

All it would take is a complaint from a neighbor or someone passing through and this code would have to be enforced. Until they change the code, my lawn stays. I can't afford to do otherwise.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:

a. Setback area paving restrictions. A maximum of 40% of the required front-yard setback may be paved for off-street parking and driveways. An additional maximum of 10% of the front-yard setback may be paved for walkways or uncovered patio use. A maximum of 40% of the required street side-yard setback may be paved for off-street parking, driveways, walkways, or uncovered patio use; however, this maximum limitation does not apply to that portion of the street side-yard located behind a fence that is in compliance with the street side fence requirements set forth in chapter 17.620.

b. Landscape and maintenance requirements. The unpaved portion of a front-yard setback and street side-yard setback shall be landscaped, irrigated, and maintained. The landscape may include grass, annuals, perennials, groundcover, shrubs, trees, and any design elements such as planters, rocks, mulch, or similar elements when integrated as part of the landscape. However, only living vegetation may be used as a primary ground cover; no cement, brick, artificial turf, or other non-vegetative products such as plastic plants or flowers may be used for this purpose. All landscaping materials shall be mowed, trimmed, and maintained as often as necessary to prevent overgrowth and blight. No junk, debris, or other similar materials shall be stored in the landscaped setback area.

I have had fights with code enforcement over these provisions. Several years ago, I had replaced my lawn with drought tolerant plants surrounded by mulch with walkways of lava stone. A neighbor complained and I was instructed to remove everything and put the lawn back within two weeks or face fines. He measured the area and informed me how much surface I could have that was not covered with a "living vegetation" ground cover. I had no choice but to install sod to get it acceptable within the time frame.

All it would take is a complaint from a neighbor or someone passing through and this code would have to be enforced. Until they change the code, my lawn stays. I can't afford to do otherwise.
Ok thanks I misunderstood, in your post you said "And if you don't live in the City of Sacramento." which I thought meant these rules applied to people not residing in Sacramento. Sorry you have to deal with that can you go to a council meeting and express your concerns there?

Old 05-10-2015, 09:00 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
For the people moving to fake lawns
I looked into artificial turf -- then ran away from it. Installing it is a hassle, it requires a very level and highly compacted sand bed. It requires considerable maintenance, including -- get this -- periodic watering. Yup, when the plastic gets coated with dust you need to spray it down to restore the green. Have a party and a guest spills food? Get out the detergent and start scrubbing and rinsing, hoping the stain isn't permanent. Windy day? Get out the vacuum to pick up leaves and debris. The final straw is heat retention. Unlike natural grass, plastic turf gets hot in the sun and radiates heat. After all this, you're looking at maybe 10 or 12 years of lifespan before the plastic rots and you have to rip it out and replace it.

No thanks.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:49 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,125 times
Quote:

If you're following the code, then you wouldn't have been instructed to correct the alleged violation. What were you specifically out of compliance of? Not enough living vegetation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento