Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:56 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times

Advertisements

As someone from So Cal, let me enlighten you country folks. An urban setting simply adds a type of ambience, it does not make dining better. The SGV of suburban LA has way better Chinese food than anything found with in 100 miles of Sacramento.

That being said, as a foodie from the LA area I have found good eats in the greater Sac burbs, even Folsom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 11:41 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
The people in Folsom don't care about good restaurants, or the ones that do care don't mind driving to the grid. There is no market there.
Exactly. Its what the suburban masses want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
As someone from So Cal, let me enlighten you country folks. An urban setting simply adds a type of ambience, it does not make dining better. The SGV of suburban LA has way better Chinese food than anything found with in 100 miles of Sacramento.

That being said, as a foodie from the LA area I have found good eats in the greater Sac burbs, even Folsom.
.....seriously dude?
Some of us are from So Cal as well. And Folsom aint exactly the country.
OF course there will be many more & better choices in LA than in Sacto & suburbs.
No new info here...moving on.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:14 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Exactly. Its what the suburban masses want.

.....seriously dude?
Some of us are from So Cal as well. And Folsom aint exactly the country.
OF course there will be many more & better choices in LA than in Sacto & suburbs.
No new info here...moving on.
LoL aren't you from Bakersfield?

Midtown people love to pretend they are Berkeley or SF. Get real. The best food in Sac is in the burbs, not the core. Little Saigon is not the core. The best soul food is not found in the core. The best Mexican is not found in the core. The best French restaurant is in Elk Grove, does the grid even have French food?

LoL Nor Cal people are weird. They think if the food is in an urban setting that some how makes it better. They are really just too lazy to venture into a strip mall. As a so cal native and foodie, I don't mind venturing through suburban strip malls to find good eats.

The grid does not really even have a good food scene. It mostly caters to generic hipster and yuppie tastes. It's for people who wear mall cloths from Urban Outfitters. If you want good ethnic or comfort food you actually have to leave the grid, lol. That's why people think Sacramento's food scene is terrible, they stop downtown or on the grid and can't find anything good.

You have to know the hole in the wall food joints in the burbs to eat good in the Sacto Valley

Old 05-25-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Nope, never lived there.

Your thoughts about the grid are certainly much different than our local midtownies.

So, what are you favorite hole in the wall favorites in the burbs?

Old 05-25-2015, 11:59 AM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Nope, never lived there.

Your thoughts about the grid are certainly much different than our local midtownies.

So, what are you favorite hole in the wall favorites in the burbs?
You don't even need to go out to the suburbs. Firehouse (the one on Stockton Blvd) or Ravenous Cafe are both excellent. I'm not anti-grid by any means. There's a lot of great restaurants there. Coconut Midtown and Sawsadee are both good. I remember when Thai Basil was about the best you could do in the grid, however. Bankgok garden was better, plus very close to where I lived which was nice. For Elk Grove, Happy Garden and Kabob & Gyro grill are both excellent and inexpensive. It's by no means a food desert with nothing but McDonald's. Worth driving out there? I did a few times. Dim Sum in Sacramento is pretty sad.

I'm less familiar with Roseville. It usually seems to involve over consumption of alcohol, but then I like Fox & Goose as well. Only downside is the service is generally pretty awful. That's fine. I can walk myself up to the bar every time I get tired of my beer having sat empty for 10 minutes with no one in sight. It's reasonably priced, food is pretty good, atmosphere is good.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:09 PM

Since OP is about Folsom, and since i live in Folsom, and WOR was talking about the burbs, that's what I'm interested in..

Last weekend, I had the best burger I've had in a long time at Ikeda's in Auburn.

I havent been very impressed with the asian/chinese food in Folsom. I've been to some of the places on Stockton Blvd with an old colleague. But it was way to authentic for me. I wasn't much into the fish heads.

So, yea, I'm curious what good places others have found in the burbs.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:11 PM

290 posts, read 544,521 times
Quote:

Midtown people love to pretend they are Berkeley or SF. Get real. The best food in Sac is in the burbs, not the core. Little Saigon is not the core. The best soul food is not found in the core. The best Mexican is not found in the core. The best French restaurant is in Elk Grove, does the grid even have French food?

LoL Nor Cal people are weird. They think if the food is in an urban setting that some how makes it better. They are really just too lazy to venture into a strip mall. As a so cal native and foodie, I don't mind venturing through suburban strip malls to find good eats.

I know what you mean about the hipster downtown attitude. Some do have this attitude that anything in the burbs is bad which is funny. Yes some of the better restaurants are not necessarily downtown. With that said, "most" of the small home grown chef owned type of places are downtown or have their beginnings downtown.

Sac has been a government town for so long. It just doesn't have the breadth of restaurants or entertainment like San Francisco or areas of Southern California. It has, however changed and improved over the years. More and more people from southern california and the bay area have moved to the Sacramento area and thankfully their appetite for "more" has pushed for some change beyond cow town appeal.

Quote:
Since OP is about Folsom, and since i live in Folsom, and WOR was talking about the burbs, that's what I'm interested in..

Last weekend, I had the best burger I've had in a long time at Ikeda's in Auburn.

I havent been very impressed with the asian/chinese food in Folsom. I've been to some of the places on Stockton Blvd with an old colleague. But it was way to authentic for me. I wasn't much into the fish heads.

So, yea, I'm curious what good places others have found in the burbs.
I know some of the better Chinese places are off Broadway and Alhambra, but like you said, those places may be far more traditional, which some people may not like. In Folsom one of my favorite Thai restaurants was Thai Siam near Karen's Bakery but that was a few years ago with the original owners. Their curry chicken was outstanding. All their food was bursting with flavor. Unfortunately it changed hands several times and I think its closed now.

Last edited by webdev; 06-03-2015 at 11:24 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 12:52 PM

37 posts, read 74,801 times
Default Good restaurants in the burbs....

I'm always interested in finding new gems.

Here are some that I've found:

Visconti's in Folsom (on E. Bidwell right near BJ's) has excellent Italian food. Their pizza is the best I've found.

Chez Daniel in Folsom on Natoma (near the police station.) Excellent French food.

Golden Dragon in Rocklin (on Granite Drive.) Very good Chinese. Not sure how "authentic," haven't seen any fish heads.

I'm still on the hunt for good Indian food, so if you know of any spots in Folsom or the burbs, lets hear them.

I also am looking for a good burger and fresh cut fries. I demand organic (hopefully grass-finished) beef....no Sysco products. Not even most fancy restaurants can meet these requirements (Morton's=frozen fries, non organic beef; Chops=better beef but not organic, frozen fries; not sure about Ikeda's but they look good; Ruth's Chris=not organic beef, fresh cut fries.)

Old 06-09-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20five View Post
Visconti's in Folsom (on E. Bidwell right near BJ's) has excellent Italian food. Their pizza is the best I've found.

Chez Daniel in Folsom on Natoma (near the police station.) Excellent French food.
Visconti's is walking distance for me, but I've never been there. Too much wheat for me.

Chez Daniel is closed/changing owners.

Other burger alternatives: Karen's Cafe in Folsom, Relish in EDH, & Flaming Grill in Sacramento, on El Camino (I think)

A few years back, the local folsom (non-CD) forum did a multi-week burger run/review. Lots of interesting feedback.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:29 PM

37 posts, read 74,801 times
That's too bad about Chez Daniel.

And yes, Italian is a lot of wheat, but once in a while I love a good pizza.

I've heard of but not tried Relish (sounds like a hot dog place based on the name.) Karen's I walk by almost every day. I will have to give them a shot for lunch sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento