Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasUsuck View Post
If your a government employee you don't get to interpret law you follow the law or you find another job.
Not so sure about that...

Plenty of exceptions to dress code and even work days based on religion.

Last time I visited Loma Linda the mail was being delivered on Sunday because Saturday is a no/no for the Seventh Day Adventists... I believe similar for Angwin California and Collegedale Tennessee

Local Court has modified its dress code for Muslim Women...

Guess it all depends on where the line is drawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:34 PM

27 posts, read 29,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Not so sure about that...

Plenty of exceptions to dress code and even work days based on religion.

Last time I visited Loma Linda the mail was being delivered on Sunday because Saturday is a no/no for the Seventh Day Adventists... I believe similar for Angwin California and Collegedale Tennessee

Local Court has modified its dress code for Muslim Women...

Guess it all depends on where the line is drawn.
The line is drawn when you oppress people.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:29 AM

Update: thanks for everyone's help. I just moved 4 weeks ago to Phoenix, AZ from Texas. As I drive an 18wheeler for a living the mountains and snow (Donner's Pass) between Reno and Sacramento ultimately deterred me from moving to Sacramento. I spoke with other drivers who said chaining up 30 times a year during the winter to make it through the mountain passes were common. I watched the NOAA and the snow was crazy this year. After all data I compared it was Phoenix that stood out the best.

PROS

Nice weather with no snow, Palm trees, interstates that are on flat land, Houses are cheap compared to California, Property taxes are cheap, I can work the long beach ports from Phoenix, people are very friendly in Phoenix not that they aren't in California but compared to Texas, there are mountains 20 minutes away for hiking and four wheeling, guns laws are more laxed compared to California, The laws regarding trucking are more laxed compared to California, after monitoring California lawmakers i understood what you guys were talking about with knee jerk reactions in creating new laws like the water laws they are thinking about repealing.

CONS

I could swear Arizona has two suns that come out between noon and five pm everyday. I have invested in multiple fans. Everyone says if you make it through one summer your good to go. Also it seems like beige is the only color a house or business can be painted in Phoenix.

I feel like I have finally found home.

Thanks for all your help

Last edited by TexasUsuck; 05-23-2016 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: oops

Old 05-23-2016, 04:04 PM

Further note

The other decision that swayed me moving to Northern California was the rent. I believe as San Francisco grows Sacramento will become a suburb of San Francisco. Here is an interesting article I just read concerning the most expensive places to rent.

Here’s how much SmartAsset found you must earn to afford a two-bedroom apartment in the 15 cities:

San Francisco: $216,129
New York City: $158,229
Los Angeles: $145,629
Boston: $120,900
Washington, D.C.: $119,271
Seattle: $98,271
Miami: $90,300
Chicago: $76,071
Philadelphia: $65,100
Dallas: $62,700
Atlanta: $62,614
Houston: $58,971
Riverside, California: $53,100
Phoenix: $49,800
Detroit: $37,971

My new job pays $65,000 a year so by choosing Phoenix I am living beneath my means allowing me to save money

Old 05-25-2016, 07:47 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Congrats!

Let us know how you like those AZ laws.

I understand AZ is one of those states that Californian's sick of Cali's liberal laws flock to.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:06 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
I heard they have some good marijuana in AZ. Enjoy, my brother!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:18 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
The more I study California state laws the more awe I have. Laws from rules for privacy of job applicants. Marijuana laws like proposition 215 and AB266. 2016 state voter referendum for legislation of marijuana. Equal opportunity and hate crime laws for LGBT. City laws like a living wage of $15 an hour in Los Angeles and San Francisco. I could go on and on. What laws do you like?
Just so you know, sexual orientation is recognized in state hate crime laws in both California and Texas.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I agree, except it really should be a national or state minimum wage of $15/hr. There's an easy way to tell if wages are too low: when full time employees qualify for EBT cards, housing vouchers or other government assistance, wages are too low. It doesn't make sense for a business to pay $10/hr and then the taxpayer has to kick in another $5/hr just so the wage earner can have basic food and shelter. SNAP/EBT costs the U.S. $75 bil per year. If the minimum wage was raised high enough so workers don't qualify, the taxpayer would save billions.
The U.S. did manage to exist without SNAP/EBT.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And yes, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I left CA, whose laws were crippling to businesses and citizens, and now live in Texas
100% agree. I didn't leave because of the differences re taxes and other laws, but I would never move back to California from Texas re the differences in taxes and other laws (and a few other things).

Quote:
we have freedoms unheard of in CA.
100% agree.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
You definitely must be from Texas. Spoken like a true Texan. All you had to do was google the topic but instead decided to speak without knowing. Here Is link to article.

Texas AG: State workers can deny marriage licenses to gay couples - Hanna Trudo - POLITICO

Please tell me that all of California isn't as dumb as you.
You are the obviously the dim one, not Ringwise. Reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong suit. Ringwise DID NOT write that clerks CAN'T deny marriage licenses to same sex couples. He wrote that there ARE NO clerks (meaning currently, at the time he wrote that post) denying marriage licenses to gay couples. There is a distinct difference between those two statements, and your link doesn't disprove Ringwise's statement.

Also, the way you worded your post indicates that you think Ringwise is from Texas, but lives in California...when in fact the opposite is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento