Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:29 AM

27 posts, read 29,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For some reason, you appear to be very young and niave: you talk about property in Fairfield compared to values in Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear; think of the difference and you will have your answer. People who take time to think things out, know you don't compare property values based on miles alone. Maybe you should stop reading so much and do a little live investigating?

Do you commute 96 miles to work everyday? Does half your income go towards paying your mortgage? Do you pay higher mello-roos taxes for community items you won't use? would you want to live in a county with local ordinances that will negatively impact you? These are not trivial issues.

Thanks to this discussion I now understand mello-roos taxes and yes location plays a huge part. Big bear, lake arrowhead, and LA have mello-roos taxes that exceed 2.5% while Amador county and Yolo county are the cheapest in the Sacramento area with overall rate less than 1.5%. That 1 percent difference in yearly taxes on a $200,000 house is up to $2,000 difference a year. Can you afford to throw $2,000 dollars away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 10:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
First of all - it doesn't matter that those minimum wage jobs were supposed to be for young people or for extra spending money. The reality is that the average age of a minimum wage worker is now 35 and 25% of them have kids. And while $15 might not be a living wage, it's a good deal closer to it than $8.00 is, isn't it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/up...abt=0002&abg=1
you do realize the word average can be used to do what you want with it; you also are overlooking what I said, or you didn't bother to really read it: I said, the jobs were meant as starter jobs or part time jobs, not ever meant to be the sole support of a family and they are not the sole support for most of these workers. Just because 25% have kids means nada. It can be the guy who is working a few hours a week to pay bills or give his family more material things, it can be the mom who just wants a little spending money or it might be the person who has no skills? Who's fault is that? My guess not 5% of those working at say, fast foods places are even trying to live on min wage. The few that are have no education, no skills and in many cases don't speak English or speak very little. Just stop by your nearest fast food restaurant tomorrow and take a good look at those who are working. Maybe you will realize what many of us know. Most are young, single people. Or better yet, think about any of those you know who do work for min wage, what type of people are they?

Why don't you take say, 2 people at 55, 1 at 18, 1 at 19, 2 at 23 and say one at 21. Average and see what you get? You will get the average age of about 31, but none of those ages is anywhere near 31.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you do realize the word average can be used to do what you want with it; you also are overlooking what I said, or you didn't bother to really read it: I said, the jobs were meant as starter jobs or part time jobs, not ever meant to be the sole support of a family and they are not the sole support for most of these workers. Just because 25% have kids means nada. It can be the guy who is working a few hours a week to pay bills or give his family more material things, it can be the mom who just wants a little spending money or it might be the person who has no skills? Who's fault is that? My guess not 5% of those working at say, fast foods places are even trying to live on min wage. The few that are have no education, no skills and in many cases don't speak English or speak very little. Just stop by your nearest fast food restaurant tomorrow and take a good look at those who are working. Maybe you will realize what many of us know. Most are young, single people. Or better yet, think about any of those you know who do work for min wage, what type of people are they?

Why don't you take say, 2 people at 55, 1 at 18, 1 at 19, 2 at 23 and say one at 21. Average and see what you get? You will get the average age of about 31, but none of those ages is anywhere near 31.
I offered you verifiable data, how about you come up with some to disprove what I said. We all know who used to work at low paying retail and fast food jobs, but that has changed. There are people working two or three low paying jobs (because almost all are part time) in order to support themselves.

What kind of people work for minimum wage? Well, as far as I can tell they are people who prefer to work rather than go on welfare and in my opinion, that is commendable

Old 07-20-2015, 05:54 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Here are a few examples of what California laws have created:

CA is ranked 44th out of 50 in terms of fiscal solvency:

California is ranked 48th out of 50 in terms of overall freedom:

No thanks, not a fan of California laws, which is why we'll be moving next year when I retire.
WELL SAID. California used to be a wonderful state 50 years ago. Now it's a crumbling, over taxed, crowded, chaotic mess of a State overrun with illegals from Mexico.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ageism is so attractive, don 't you think? It ranks right up there with pension envy and other forms of hate, discrimination, over-simplification and rank jealousy.
ou

What would you know about California issues? it looks like you live in Missouri.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:46 PM

Default fiscal condition of States

I had a good laugh when I saw Illinois is ranked 48th in the nation.

Anyone with a brain would know it's time to leave that corrupt, ugly, gloomy state.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
ou

What would you know about California issues? it looks like you live in Missouri.
What do you know about California issues, you claim to live in Phoenix

Old 07-20-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I had a good laugh when I saw Illinois is ranked 48th in the nation.

Anyone with a brain would know it's time to leave that corrupt, ugly, gloomy state.
but you don't live here, so why are you so worried?

Old 07-20-2015, 06:57 PM

Default New idea for Mellow-Roos taxes

I know, let's charge every homeowner in the State of CA Mellow-Roos taxes. After all, it only seems fair. Then they'll know how it feels to pay these taxes.

Just because homeowners bought their houses before the stupid Mellow-Roos taxes were enacted shouldn't exempt them from these taxes. But, liberals and NIMBYs who don't want any new development, created this dumb tax to slow down residential building.

What a messed up. bureaucratic State CA is.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
but you don't live here, so why are you so worried?
I'm not worried. I left and haven't regretted it since.

It just sickens me that there are so many thieves in your State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento