Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:10 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,798,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
Nick,

how would I get to the nearest light rail stop from here? which one would it be?
For Bus Line 25, it would be the Marconi-Arcade Rail Station:

System Map - Sacramento Regional Transit

Item "D" on the map.

Light rail is really only useful for getting downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 AM

544 posts, read 1,237,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
For Bus Line 25, it would be the Marconi-Arcade Rail Station:

System Map - Sacramento Regional Transit

Item "D" on the map.

Light rail is really only useful for getting downtown.
oh man.. I thought the light rail and rail system were the same thing... I'm going to get totally lost lol.. can't wait!

Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,798,828 times
Quote:
oh man.. I thought the light rail and rail system were the same thing... I'm going to get totally lost lol.. can't wait!
For around Greater Sacramento, it is / they are.

There is another Amtrak train "The Capitol Corridor" in downtown Sacramento that could take you on (weekend?) excursions out to the San Francisco Bay Area, but that is another matter.

Down Sacramento transit map:
http://sacrt.com/systemmap/central.stm

Amtrak Capitol Corridor map:
http://www.capitolcorridor.org/route_and_schedules/

First thing: find out if your job will be:
(a) Downtown,
(b) along "the (Interstate) 80 corridor", or
(c) along "the (US Highway) 50 corridor"
Second thing: plan your renting and your commute accordingly.

Since you are coming from high-tax and high cost of living NYC, you may not have "sticker shock" after all. In fact, in some respects your costs of living will be much lower.

You can actually buy a home out here!

But you will want to drive, so transportation costs will be higher.

Last edited by NickB1967; 07-27-2015 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
For around Greater Sacramento, it is / they are.

There is another Amtrak train "The Capitol Corridor" in downtown Sacramento that could take you on (weekend?) excursions out to the San Francisco Bay Area, but that is another matter.

Down Sacramento transit map:
Central City Map

Amtrak Capitol Corridor map:
Capitol Corridor Trains :: Route And Schedules

First thing: find out if your job will be:
(a) Downtown,
(b) along "the (Interstate) 80 corridor", or
(c) along "the (US Highway) 50 corridor"
Second thing: plan your renting and your commute accordingly.

Since you are coming from high-tax and high cost of living NYC, you may not have "sticker shock" after all. In fact, in some respects your costs of living will be much lower.

You can actually buy a home out here!

But you will want to drive, so transportation costs will be higher.
Nick,
You've been awesome! Thanks so much for answering to all my posts here. I'm done w/ NYC..for now, born in Brooklyn, raised in Miami, back to NYC.. New Jersey for a little bit and then I'm done w/ the cost of living here.. Imagine paying almost 1500 for a one bedroom with no living room in one of the worst parts of Brooklyn? We can't do it anymore. One of the reasons for looking at this area IS home ownership. I would love for my daughter to have space. There's NO way I can afford a house here.
The driving thing scares me... yea I gotta get over it.

I'm in the insurance field ( Workers Compensation) so if you have any leads as far as employers.

Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2015, 02:38 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,836,360 times
Quote:
I'm in the insurance field ( Workers Compensation) so if you have any leads as far as employers.
I used to work in that industry. Are you a claim adjuster or an RN? There are tons of jobs available due to high turnover. I receive emails from recruiters regularly via Linkedin, so you set up an account. If you have a preferred company, send me a PM & I will give you the lowdown.

Your job may be transferrable to the regular healthcare/insurer industry which is growing. Let me know if you are interested, and I can give you a referral.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I used to work in that industry. Are you a claim adjuster or an RN? There are tons of jobs available due to high turnover. I receive emails from recruiters regularly via Linkedin, so you set up an account. If you have a preferred company, send me a PM & I will give you the lowdown.

Your job may be transferrable to the regular healthcare/insurer industry which is growing. Let me know if you are interested, and I can give you a referral.
Done! Cali, please check your inbox.

Greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento