Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2006, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,829 times

Advertisements

I live in new york city with my daughter (2nd grader). Her father, sister, and brother moved to Big Sur last year. I definitely want to leave the east coast, and CA makes sense for my daughter to be near her father and siblings. But EVERY CA post I read is about how families are moving out because of the cost of living. I have a moderate income and would be a first time home buyer and need good schools, so a lot of things stack up against CA being the right spot for us. However, I do see reasonable home prices near Sac (around $300k for 1100 sq ft) on realtor. com, which differs enormously from the bay or san jose area. Is it accurate that the Sac area is considerably more affordable than the Bay area? For my means, though, Colorado or Texas (Austin, for ex), look a lot better! But my daughter really wants to live near her father, so I'm torn. I'm also not keen on her flying all the time to visit (she's the one who does all the traveling for visits). What also complicates things is that she has no family on my side. Just me. So her father is her only family beside me. Any thoughts on CA vs CO vs TX? Or somewhere that's driving distance to Big Sur (that has jobs for office work). tia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 03:58 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
Well the Bay Area is some of the most expensive property in the country. Sacramento is more reasonable in price than the bay area, but in the last few years that gap has become closer. A lot of the bay area people migrated up here due to more economical housing.

Yes, you will find condos in the area upto 1400sq ft for 300K ish. You can find homes in that range in Sacramento area, not sure you would want to live in them.

As an example our house doubled in price (which I had bought it new) over four years...it was 208K new, we bought at 469K two years later (and that was a deal) and we are trying to sell it at 525K 18 months later. We are moving to Texas due to family. If I bought (which Im not going to) at the same price range, we would double the size of our house and have it upgraded to the hilt (granite, handscraped hardwoods, ss appliances, etc).

CO is more expensive than TX but is more economical than CA. I have a few friends that are moving out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento