Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:12 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times

Advertisements

Have you looked into state employment? It's pretty easy to get an office tech/office assistant job these days, and once you're in a state position you can work your way around into higher paying gigs. I realize you're looking for something short-term, but working for the state isn't a life sentence. They are the region's biggest employer, and your college experience will be helpful for the skills you'll need as an office tech (general clerical) vs. working in a restaurant or retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 11:33 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Have you looked into state employment? It's pretty easy to get an office tech/office assistant job these days, and once you're in a state position you can work your way around into higher paying gigs. I realize you're looking for something short-term, but working for the state isn't a life sentence. They are the region's biggest employer, and your college experience will be helpful for the skills you'll need as an office tech (general clerical) vs. working in a restaurant or retail.
'
It isn't if you're an international student attending college on a student Visa. The student visa requirements also make it hard to get employment in retail or really just about any company.

2sleepy and I have both given the same advice: check with your college's on campus employment office. While you still may not qualify for Federal work study jobs on campus, EVERY campus has jobs for students who are willing to do anything or work any hours. Many on campus jobs are actually great for students looking to build their resumes; they don't all involve working in the school dining hall. And, If you are an international students, many of these jobs will also be open to you under your student visa.

So, start there; the new semester is coming up so this is the ideal time to apply for on campus jobs --and keep knocking on doors across campus until you find one. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2015, 11:36 PM

Also, it seems that you may be posting under two different names here on CD. You'll likely get more help and advice (assuming you want advice) if you stick with one name so that people aren't wasting their time replying thinking you are two different people asking the same question (with slightly different numbers about how much you need to earn for your research internship next summer).

Old 08-23-2015, 11:37 PM

12 posts, read 7,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
'
It isn't if you're an international student attending college on a student Visa. The student visa requirements also make it hard to get employment in retail or really just about any company.

2sleepy and I have both given the same advice: check with your college's on campus employment office. While you still may not qualify for Federal work study jobs on campus, EVERY campus has jobs for students who are willing to do anything or work any hours. Many on campus jobs are actually great for students looking to build their resumes; they don't all involve working in the school dining hall. And, If you are an international students, many of these jobs will also be open to you under your student visa.

So, start there; the new semester is coming up so this is the ideal time to apply for on campus jobs --and keep knocking on doors across campus until you find one. Good luck!
I have applied to the semster jobs; however, they are now becoming major specific. So i am trying to find the ones open to all majors; havent found but I will keep looking

Old 08-23-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Also, it seems that you may be posting under two different names here on CD. You'll likely get more help and advice (assuming you want advice) if you stick with one name so that people aren't wasting their time replying thinking you are two different people asking the same question (with slightly different numbers about how much you need to earn for your research internship next summer).

Actually, no. this is my first time posting on here because this is the first time I am looking for a job outside of an internship or research. They were great for experience; however, I need to earn more so I can go to Shanghai .

I apologize if I am asking the same questions; however, for overseas regions, like asia, Summer is the hiring period while it is spring and fall for the US. I got accepted into the program and I am excited; however, that is next year. I have time to save up

I feel kind of offended that you would just assume such things about me.

I am not an international student and I dont need to hide who I am. I am just looking for advice after being recommended by a friend who used this site for scouting out apartments in midtown.

Thank you for you assistance but dont assume that I am lying.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I am looking into Caltrans but they dont hire again till fall; I am loking for employment until they open up hiring.

If i were to get hired by the state, what kind of things should I look out for? (paperwork wise)
I am trying to make sure I have everything ready if my application is called.

I want to be able to diversify my skill set, so should I apply for positions that are of another engineering field? Would I be looked at in a serious manner? ( for example, a programming position. An electrical and mechanical apply...would the mechanical be taken into consideration in the same manner?)

Old 08-23-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
Have you tried applying for jobs at restaurants, coffee shops, or pizza delivery places? The pay isn't great, but the hours are usually flexible, and you usually don't need experience unless it's a high-end restaurant. These places often hire students, especially the ones near campus. How about Target, Costco, Best buy or a grocery store? You could also try UPS - I have heard the pay is decent, but the work can be strenuous. If you have a car, you could work for Lyft or Uber and work whenever you want.
I am hoping Costco and best buy will accept my application.; however, I am not certain.
I am going to apply for best buy soon for seasonal opportunities and for restaurants in midtown (I am going to walk in and see what going on)

I have a car but I share it so I am limited on my use.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:56 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Start with any state job, regardless of department. It's easier to transfer between jobs within state government than to wait for the state job you want to open up. Office tech/office assistant is pretty universal, even if you aren't interested in that department, your endgame here is saving up money for an internship, not a career path, and you're also gaining practical office experience. Even if it's a state department that has nothing to do with what you want to do, it's more useful experience than Costco if it gives you experience working in an office environment, and in state service (for purposes of getting another state job.)

In any state application, treat it like a test. The people reviewing your application may not know much about the job you are applying for, they use a rubric to gauge whether or not you meet the basic requirements. So look up the minimum prerequisites (education, experience etc.) and complete the application being sure to specify how you meet those requirements. The requirements for OT/OA are pretty much "have a pulse and be semi-literate" but for other jobs, once you're in the state system, look for the duty statement and map out specifically how you meet those requirements in your state application.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_native View Post
Actually, no. this is my first time posting on here because this is the first time I am looking for a job outside of an internship or research. They were great for experience; however, I need to earn more so I can go to Shanghai .

I apologize if I am asking the same questions; however, for overseas regions, like asia, Summer is the hiring period while it is spring and fall for the US. I got accepted into the program and I am excited; however, that is next year. I have time to save up

I feel kind of offended that you would just assume such things about me.

I am not an international student and I dont need to hide who I am. I am just looking for advice after being recommended by a friend who used this site for scouting out apartments in midtown.

Thank you for you assistance but dont assume that I am lying.
I'm sorry you are offended. Since you've read and posted in the other thread, I'm sure you can see why someone might assume you are the same person. What are the chances that TWO students would be posting here about trying to find jobs in Sacramento to pay for for a bio medical research position in Shanghai for the summer of 2016? Silly me for jumping to conclusions.

I didn't say anything about lying or hiding who you were. I was just suggesting that if you were the same person, you might get more suggestions if you consolidated the two threads, but since you are two different people, forget I mentioned it. I won't offer any more suggestions or advice.

I will, however, sincerely wish you good luck to you in your job search. I'm sure something will turn up for you soon!

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-24-2015 at 01:07 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 09:05 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you are offended. Since you've read and posted in the other thread, I'm sure you can see why someone might assume you are the same person. What are the chances that TWO students would be posting here about trying to find jobs in Sacramento to pay for for a bio medical research position in Shanghai for the summer of 2016? Silly me for jumping to conclusions.

I didn't say anything about lying or hiding who you were. I was just suggesting that if you were the same person, you might get more suggestions if you consolidated the two threads, but since you are two different people, forget I mentioned it. I won't offer any more suggestions or advice.

I will, however, sincerely wish you good luck to you in your job search. I'm sure something will turn up for you soon!
yep...the odds of two people with identical life stories posting on the same thread are probably about the same as winning the lottery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: