Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,259 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in an affluent town in northern New Jersey. I am a single, professional, Black woman with no children. I'd like to relocate to California at some point. I will be searching for a job first, but would like to know what areas would be good for me to purchase a home; I will job hunt once I locate an area.
I am suburban girl, and would like to stay below $300K for a single family house. I'm looking for a diverse neighborhood, as that it what I am accustomed to. My life is culturally diverse and I would like to maintain that in California. Museums, sports, diverse dining, and cultural events are things that I enjoy. My family is multi-racial and it is a big part of who I am. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 10:25 PM

251 posts, read 376,022 times
Under $300k does limit your areas but you still have many option in and around Sacramento. It really comes down to what your needs are for a neighborhood, home, commute, etc.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 4,259 times
Thanks for your response. Regardless of what my needs are at this point, where are the communities in and around Sacramento that are the most desirable? I suppose in my initial search I would be looking for diversity, low crime, homes in good condition (well maintained). Some of these forums say "don't live here!" or "this place is full of crime!". I've only been out there twice, so I really need some guidance. Thank you!

Old 10-18-2015, 09:36 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
That's tough without knowing where you are going to be working. There are some areas where you can get a house for 300K but Sacramento is so big that you could end up buying a house that might be a miserable commute. Have you considered renting, then looking for a house after you have a job?

Old 10-19-2015, 08:36 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,379 times
All I know is Sacramento housing market and its surrounding areas are getting more and more expensive by the minute and I don't see that trend going the opposite direction unless another Stock Market Crash and huge unemployment again.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:26 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl678 View Post
I am suburban girl, and would like to stay below $300K for a single family house. I'm looking for a diverse neighborhood, as that it what I am accustomed to. My life is culturally diverse and I would like to maintain that in California. Museums, sports, diverse dining, and cultural events are things that I enjoy. My family is multi-racial and it is a big part of who I am. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

where are the communities in and around Sacramento that are the most desirable? I suppose in my initial search I would be looking for diversity, low crime, homes in good condition (well maintained).
Ok, so you want all of this for less than <$300k.
Safety/low crime
Diversity
Museums, sports, diverse dining, and cultural events

When you say home in good, well-maintained condition, what vintage of homes do you desire? New construction? older construction? do you have a specific type of home that you'd like? Do you prefer a walkable community?

Do you want suburban or maybe something a little closer to downtown/midtown? I would suggest staying closer to the city core. The only challenge will be your budget. Check Land Park, Elmhurst, Tahoe Park, River Park, maybe the Greenhaven area.

I think it's a little hard to say which city is the best since we all have different preferences. But, the areas that historically retain their home values are East Sac, Granite Bay, Folsom/El Dorado Hills, Roseville/Rocklin. None of those, except East Sac are close to the most diverse area (midtown). The good news is the dining, musems, plays are within an easy driving distance, and some communities have their own theaters. The suburbs are generally considered safer.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:51 AM

572 posts, read 598,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl678 View Post
Thanks for your response. Regardless of what my needs are at this point, where are the communities in and around Sacramento that are the most desirable? I suppose in my initial search I would be looking for diversity, low crime, homes in good condition (well maintained). Some of these forums say "don't live here!" or "this place is full of crime!". I've only been out there twice, so I really need some guidance. Thank you!
I'd say generally the most desirable communities in Sacramento are Land Park and East Sacramento. These are old established communities with some beautiful homes and tree lined streets with close proximity to parks and the rivers and downtown. I don't think you would get anything for 300k in either of these neighborhoods.

Outer suburbs with good schools such as Roseville/Rocklin and the Folsom and El Dorado Hills areas are desirable to some people too. I don't think there's as much diversity out there and you'd struggle to get any single family home for 300k.

Midtown is a desirable location for being close to the action and for a more urban feel but still with options of living on quieter streets in beautiful old historic homes. It seems pretty diverse in both ethnicity and age (although tends to have more of a young crowd around the restaurant/bar areas). You'll struggle to get anything for 300k.

The area just north of the American river as you head east out of Sacramento (the southern areas of Arden and Carmichael) is desirable. There are a lot of big homes and gated communities and is one of the wealthier areas of Sacramento. You won't get anything for 300k.

There are several other nice areas that might be more attainable with a ~300k budget - it just depends on what your needs are. I'm not sure you are going to find a low crime, diverse, nicely maintained suburban community at that price point. Others that have lived here longer may have more knowledge.

Maybe South Land Park/Hollywood Park - you could probably find a nice small 2 or 3bed, 1bath home but the homes would be older. I like the area between Sac Executive Airport and Land Park. I'm not sure on the diversity there.

You could also try Tahoe Park or the nicer parts of Oak Park, which will get you more diversity and be within your budget but you are going to be right up against rougher areas.

You could also check out parts of Carmichael which might be a good fit. I'm not very familiar with Carmichael and it's quite surprising how big the area is and how different the different parts can be. Someone else maybe able to point you toward better information on this area if you are interested.

I would look at Elk Grove or North Natomas for a much more suburban feel.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Just get as close to Land Park as you can and you won't go wrong. Welcome!

Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 AM

168 posts, read 240,803 times
Check out Homes and real estate in northern California - MetroList the official MLS and set your search under 300K. Then you can see what you like and see if it is an area that works for you

Old 10-20-2015, 10:16 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
Outer suburbs with good schools such as Roseville/Rocklin and the Folsom and El Dorado Hills areas are desirable to some people too. I don't think there's as much diversity out there and you'd struggle to get any single family home for 300k.
I would agree, the outer suburbs are not as diverse as downtown, however, its not all white vanilla out there. My next door nextdoor neighbor is black, across the street mexicans, and next to them asians, at the corner east indians, and that's just on my street! I see a mixture of races at any given event or outing. There are homes, usually smaller, older homes or condos available for 300K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento