Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:31 AM

8 posts, read 64,120 times

Advertisements

ive gone to year round school before for middle school. Basically what it is is their break is split up over the year. Mainly they do it by tracks which are by color so it would be like Green track, Yellow track, blue track, Red track. Each track is a different section of a grade basically so they alternate which track is off at all times. I didn't like it to much because it took away from summer vacation but i guess it is nice for the teachers that work there.
For areas to look at for moving 12 bridges lincoln is basically an up and comming roseville. They are developing that area a ton right now house prices should be going up pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 05:33 PM

45 posts, read 87,496 times
Year-round schools are in session all-year round with the kids getting a 2-3 week break every 3 months. My brother is a teacher and says he prefers year-round to traditional. He says the 3-month summer break is too long for him and the kids. He prefers having 2-3 week breaks throughout the year.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:37 PM

16 posts, read 67,733 times
I know the Elk Grove district very well and the Folsom-Cordova district less well. First of all, if you live in the Anatolia area of Rancho Cordova, which is where there are several master-planned communities, your kids would be going to an Elk Grove school district school. Check the boundaries at Elk Grove Unified School District

The year-round schools are going out of fashion at the district. The newer schools are going back to traditional, or something called "modified year round." This means the kids start earlier and go later, yet get about a month off during the holidays (great for family vacations).

I would recommend the Elk Grove schools over the Folsom-Cordova schools any day. The outstanding pay and benefits in Elk Grove attracts highly motivated teachers, and the district has its pick of teacher candidates to hire. Therefore, i think the caliber of teachers is overall higher than in some other local districts.

Same goes for choice of city. Rancho has some pretty dicey areas. Some neighborhoods in Elk Grove are going a bit downhill--many of the homes have renters only in certain neighborhoods and the homes themselves are starting to not be maintained as well.

I lived a long time in Woodland. I do not recommend it. The schools are on an upswing but overall it feels very far from anywhere else, even with Davis nearby. there is not a strong community feel in Woodland. I also lived a long time and went to schools in Davis. Do not recommend it either, but some people prefer it. The homes are not worth the price, though the schools are good.

You might actually consider the Pocket neighborhood in Sacramento. If you go east to Folsom, etc., your commute would be horrendous. We're talking at least an hour to Davis on a great day.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:09 PM

14 posts, read 98,522 times
Thanks for all of the information. When looking at the tracks in the Elk Grove school, I see they also show a traditional track. Is each track assigned to a certain grade or can you choose which track you want?

Old 02-02-2008, 02:17 PM

16 posts, read 67,733 times
The track is assigned/chosen by each school; there's no difference between grades. A school can change tracks, but this is rare and requires a majority vote (possibly a two-thirds, I can't remember) by all the teachers at the school, along with support from parents and the district.

I think the district is moving back to traditional because year-round can really make it difficult for state testing, benchmark assessments, etc. But schools that have been year-round tend to have teachers and parents who really have adapted to that schedule and like it, therefore they rarely change.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,397 times
Default Moving to Sacramento

I would suggest looking at Anatolia again ... Close to Sunrise/Folsom for shopping but has brand new elementary schools in the Elk Grove school district. I just moved to Anatolia from Elk Grove - the community in EG is really going downhill.

Anatolia prices are doing what all other prices in northern CA are doing (dropping) so there are still very good deals to be had - new or used.

It is easy to pick a specific area and sell homes there but I ALSO live here and am still excited about the future of the community. Brand new schools - many parks, clubhouse, 3 pools, etc.

For under $500K (and many times much les) this is a really good place to live.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:25 PM

14 posts, read 60,381 times
To Anatoliamike,

"I would suggest looking at Anatolia again ... Close to Sunrise/Folsom for shopping but has brand new elementary schools in the Elk Grove school district. I just moved to Anatolia from Elk Grove - the community in EG is really going downhill."

I agree that Anatolia have some really good home bargains and have a brand new elementary schools. But I heard that Anatolia has significant odor problem from the nearby Animal Rendering Plant. Have you noticed that from living in Anatolia?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:49 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,766,610 times
I would really recommend Davis. They have the best schools in Sacramento, and it would be the easiest commute to the Bay Area, and obviously UC Davis.

I don't know what you could get for 450k though.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,371 times
Default Anatolia rendering plant

I live in Anatolia and I rarely ever smell the rendering plant i probably notice it about 5 to 10 days a year

Old 02-19-2008, 12:40 AM

14 posts, read 60,381 times
Thanks for the info Doulrey,

From what I saw at this website What is that smell? » home I was under the impression the smell from the Rendering plant was a BIG problem at Anatolia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento