Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:38 AM

41 posts, read 68,703 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has lived in both areas and can compare the good and the bad of each. I may be offered a position in Reno or Davis soon. Just my wife and I, no kids, although we want them in the near future so education will be important. We used to live In socal and work has taken us to depressing central IL, so we are wanting to move back out west. I like the idea of Reno because it's less populated, has mountain views, is closer to outdoor rec, and has less taxes and cost of living. However, Sac has a lot of positives as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Fedguy86; 10-30-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 11:56 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
I have not lived in either area (though my wife has lived in the foothills east of Sacramento), but we have researched both areas to live in retirement. Here is my take:

Sacramento pros:
Warmer weather
Lots to do, more metropolitan than Reno
Closer to San Francisco
More diverse culturally
In general, housing seems a lot more "organized"

Reno pros:
Lower taxes (no state tax)
Lower gas prices (especially outside Washoe County)
Cooler, dryer weather (especially during fall and winter)
Somewhat lower real estate prices, it is easier to find a larger piece of property
Lots of outdoor activities available
More lax emissions rules for cars (no testing outside Washoe County, no visual requirements like CA)
Less traffic
In general seems to be less hustle and bustle

Sacramento cons:
Higher taxes
Can get humid
CA government more "intrusive" (stricter environmental rules, car emission regulations)
Real estate can be more expensive (Davis is expensive!)
More traffic
More air pollution

Reno cons:
Can get very cold in winter (occasionally below zero at night)
May need 4wd car, especially at higher elevations
Less diverse
Central Reno gambling area still somewhat depressed
Seems harder to find a job if you need one
Many areas very windy
I have heard the school system isn't the best

Is there a salary differential between the Reno and Davis jobs? We are leaning towards Reno, but if you are a young couple and planning to have kids, I would lean towards Sacramento, especially if they offer a higher salary in Davis.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:41 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
It almost NEVER is humidly uncomfortable in Sac. Last summer only 1 day was it actually "humid" and still not nearly as humid as most of the rest of the country. But, yes we have lots of days in the low 90's dry heat, but if that is too hot for you think twice. Reno also gets very warm - 90's. in the summer.

Cons for weather in Reno is not only Wind, but Dry, very Dry humidity high altitude desert dryness, cracked skin, nose bleeds. Also uncomfortable Cold nights in 20's and teen's. Sacramento throughout the winter is in the high 40's overall, (some mid 50's - high 30's).

Reno is virtually treeless. Sacramento has tons of trees (pray the drought ends).

How Far Your Paycheck Goes, In 356 U.S. Cities : Planet Money : NPR

Median Salaries adjusted for Housing/Cost of living. People make more money in Sacramento.

Sacramento - $29,163

Reno-Sparks - $25,643

Riverside, CA - $24,007

Old 10-30-2015, 05:52 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
sleepy2 has, I'm sure she'll be able to help you.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:58 PM

920 posts, read 931,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedguy86 View Post
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has lived in both areas and can compare the good and the bad of each. I may be offered a position in Reno or Davis soon. Just my wife and I, no kids, although we want them in the near future so education will be important. We used to live In socal and work has taken us to depressing central IL, so we are wanting to move back out west. I like the idea of Reno because it's less populated, has mountain views, is closer to outdoor rec, and has less taxes and cost of living. However, Sac has a lot of positives as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Reno you can breathe

Sacramento you cannot breathe

Any questions?

Old 10-30-2015, 06:01 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
depends on what part of Sacramento. It's nicer up here in Folsom where there are less trees.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:10 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,829 times
Sacramento is the LA of the central valley. A ton of traffic, air pollution, bad drivers. It's also 4x bigger metro wise than Reno.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:36 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times
There are people in Sacramento who think "humid" is a synonym for "really, really hot."

I assume OutdoorsyGal is referring to allergies, rather than a lack of breathable atmosphere. Reno is probably better for allergy sufferers because there aren't many trees or other plants to be allergic to--it's basically high desert. Sacramento is a tree-filled region in the middle of a major agricultural region--if you're allergic to any form of plant life, its reproductive material probably floats through the air here at some point.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:22 PM

41 posts, read 68,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I have not lived in either area (though my wife has lived in the foothills east of Sacramento), but we have researched both areas to live in retirement. Here is my take:

Sacramento pros:
Warmer weather
Lots to do, more metropolitan than Reno
Closer to San Francisco
More diverse culturally
In general, housing seems a lot more "organized"

Reno pros:
Lower taxes (no state tax)
Lower gas prices (especially outside Washoe County)
Cooler, dryer weather (especially during fall and winter)
Somewhat lower real estate prices, it is easier to find a larger piece of property
Lots of outdoor activities available
More lax emissions rules for cars (no testing outside Washoe County, no visual requirements like CA)
Less traffic
In general seems to be less hustle and bustle

Sacramento cons:
Higher taxes
Can get humid
CA government more "intrusive" (stricter environmental rules, car emission regulations)
Real estate can be more expensive (Davis is expensive!)
More traffic
More air pollution

Reno cons:
Can get very cold in winter (occasionally below zero at night)
May need 4wd car, especially at higher elevations
Less diverse
Central Reno gambling area still somewhat depressed
Seems harder to find a job if you need one
Many areas very windy
I have heard the school system isn't the best

Is there a salary differential between the Reno and Davis jobs? We are leaning towards Reno, but if you are a young couple and planning to have kids, I would lean towards Sacramento, especially if they offer a higher salary in Davis.
Thanks for the info. Yes, the Davis job has a locality pay adjustment which equates to about 5K/yr.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:29 AM

888 posts, read 889,732 times
I lived in Reno for 6 months after graduating from college in 1979 because I couldn't get the job I wanted here in Sacramento. We lived there for 6 months and got the heck out of there. The gambling influence was nauseating but that's just me. My wife hated it and actually came back to live with her mother while I looked for a job and eventually found one to my liking. She also found a house to buy and this was a time with unbelievably-high interest rates. I left and am so glad I did. Never returned to Reno for over 20 years and then only spent one day there to attend a seminar.

But we were native Sacramentans and someone else coming from a different area would hopefully have a much different experience than mine.

I have no desire to go to Reno for the rest of my life but realize that it might be necessary at some point. Hopefully it would be another in and out day trip if all possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento