Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 01:29 AM

490 posts, read 838,022 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'd like to live a relatively simple and stress-free life surrounded by conveniences like good supermarkets, shopping, and hospital (like Kaiser). I'd ideally like to be close enough that I can leave work at a moment's notice to quickly tend to family matters if ever needed (preferably within 15 minutes or less).

When I look at all of the options, I don't think this would be possible living in Folsom. It's a nice place to live but light rail would be about a 50-minute ride. Elk Grove also has the above conveniences but the bus rides to/from Downtown appears to be roughly about the same commute time of 50 minutes.

Looking at other places, like Natomas, it wouldn't have any hospitals, and I'm not sure how much shorter a bus ride would be from there to Downtown Sac.

Other options are to drive, but I think it would be more stressful and costly, depending on how far I have to drive and what route I take. If it's freeway driving, my commute may be about 30 minutes, followed by parking time, plus the gas and monthly parking garage fees (about $130). Light rail would be about $60/mo, and bus would be about $30/mo with the state employee subsidy.

So I'm wondering if my best bet my be to try to find a nice place in Downtown Sac? I don't really want to buy or rent something that's too old and run down. I've been looking at some of the loft options but they can be rather expensive and I'm not sure how convenient to grocery stores they would be. Also, since I have a dog that barks, I'd need a place with thick walls so as to not disturb neighbors; preferably something with a patio/terrace where he can roam about.

I'd really appreciate some experienced input from those who have been in a similar situation with similar objectives.

Not sure if there's any place where I can have my cake and eat it too.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 02:55 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
You can have your cake and eat it too in the grid but you're going to have to pay up $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 11-14-2015, 10:00 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
Hi, I'd like to live a relatively simple and stress-free life surrounded by conveniences like good supermarkets, shopping, and hospital (like Kaiser). I'd ideally like to be close enough that I can leave work at a moment's notice to quickly tend to family matters if ever needed (preferably within 15 minutes or less).

When I look at all of the options, I don't think this would be possible living in Folsom. It's a nice place to live but light rail would be about a 50-minute ride. Elk Grove also has the above conveniences but the bus rides to/from Downtown appears to be roughly about the same commute time of 50 minutes.

Looking at other places, like Natomas, it wouldn't have any hospitals, and I'm not sure how much shorter a bus ride would be from there to Downtown Sac.

Other options are to drive, but I think it would be more stressful and costly, depending on how far I have to drive and what route I take. If it's freeway driving, my commute may be about 30 minutes, followed by parking time, plus the gas and monthly parking garage fees (about $130). Light rail would be about $60/mo, and bus would be about $30/mo with the state employee subsidy.

So I'm wondering if my best bet my be to try to find a nice place in Downtown Sac? I don't really want to buy or rent something that's too old and run down. I've been looking at some of the loft options but they can be rather expensive and I'm not sure how convenient to grocery stores they would be. Also, since I have a dog that barks, I'd need a place with thick walls so as to not disturb neighbors; preferably something with a patio/terrace where he can roam about.

I'd really appreciate some experienced input from those who have been in a similar situation with similar objectives.

Not sure if there's any place where I can have my cake and eat it too.

Thanks in advance.
What's your budget and what size place are you looking for? Are you going to rent or buy?

Old 11-14-2015, 10:00 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
There isn't a Kaiser downtown yet--there is a plan to build one, but it won't arrive for years. But there are a lot of other hospitals downtown and nearby--Sutter, Mercy, UCD Medical Center--in between Midtown and East Sacramento. Living in the central city can be expensive, but for many of us it's worth the convenience and the amenities. A large proportion (almost one-third) of the people who live in the central city (or within a mile of its boundaries) also work in the same circle. That's close enough to bike just around anywhere (our cycling infrastructure is so-so, but we have flat terrain and great weather), walk a lot of places, or a short transit commute. Depending on exactly where your job is, you can look at neighborhoods on the eastern half of the central city (generally called "Midtown" but including Washington, Boulevard Park, New Era Park, Marshall School, Winn Park, Newton Booth and Poverty Ridge) and south of downtown itself (Southside Park, Richmond Grove.) The next set of neighborhoods out from the central city may be a bit more in tune with the lifestyle you're looking for--East Sacramento, McKinley Park, Curtis Park or Land Park. They are characterized by single-family homes, better supermarkets (the central city has two Safeways and a Grocery Outlet and a couple of corner delis) like Selland's, Corti Brothers, Trader Joe's, Hing Long Supermarket, Taylor's Market, Compton's Market and other specialty grocers. There's a dog park just north of Midtown at Sutter's Landing Park.

There really isn't all that much run-down housing left in Midtown, and the outer neighborhoods are all fairly upscale. Another option is Oak Park, a much rougher neighborhood that is slowly transitioning, which is less expensive but means more risk exposure.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:46 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Also a lot of fixers in Oak Park. Don't be fooled by the cheese-ball flips. Most of that is just a fresh coat of paint, some new appliances, and shoddy rehabbing. Usually this stuff is done by "handymen" (code speak for unskilled) vs craftsmen.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:50 PM

251 posts, read 376,081 times
Really comes down to budget. How much are you willing to spend on rent?

Old 11-16-2015, 01:12 AM

490 posts, read 838,022 times
I'd say rent of no more than $1700/mo. Right now I pay $1639. As for a house, somewhere around $400K would be the max. Since I'm looking to live in the house and want to buy a house primarily for that purpose and not to buy low and sell high for profit (although that'd be great), I am open to buying now even though I feel we're at what may near the price peak. Either that or rent and hold off until the next time the market drops to near 2010 levels or close to it.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:21 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post

When I look at all of the options, I don't think this would be possible living in Folsom. It's a nice place to live but light rail would be about a 50-minute ride.
Definitely not doable from Folsom.

Quote:
no more than $1700/mo
Try East Sac, River Park or even parts of Elmhurst.
for an idea of prices, check out house for rent sacramento ca california rental home property for rent rental property 95819

Old 11-16-2015, 01:52 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Finding an apartment for $1700 or less in Midtown should not be a problem unless you insist on the latest and greatest amenities. We're definitely near a price peak, if you lease an apartment for a while you can take your time getting to know the neighborhoods and save some cash for a down payment once this next bubble pops.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:22 PM

572 posts, read 599,069 times
Single family homes could be had for that kind of budget in nice neighborhoods such as College-Greens, South Land Park, Hollywood Park. They would all be about a 15-minute drive into downtown. College-Greens has a light rail station and there are buses that run up from South Land Park which wouldn't be too inconvenient.

East Sac, River Park, Elmhurst, and Midtown are probably all more convenient but they are much more pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento