Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 08:13 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,163 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that a substantial portion of Sacramento's homes don't water meters, thereby allowing residents to pay a flat water bill regardless of their volume use. Has this been done away with, or in the process of being done away with? I realize installing water meters in a large city is extremely expensive. I believe Chicago proper single family homes have no water meters either (but their lots are tiny.)

I don't have an opinion on the matter one way or the other, but as a gardener, it would sure be a bonus to not have a water meter during the summer months On top of that, you guys have good quality water.

I have a hunch that if water restrictions continue in your area, local landscape professionals in your area will start recommending replacing your tall fescue lawns with tif bermuda grass. I know tall fescue is green year round and is generally easier to maintain than tif bermuda, but bermuda takes less water- no doubt about it. Tall fescue has a hard time making it through the summer here in hot Phoenix.

On a side note, have you residents noticed trees and vegetation in Sac showing symptoms of the watering restrictions? (required 25 percent cut-back in water use Brown asked for. Dying trees, wilted bushes, dead lawns, etc. How was your peach, plum, apple and citrus harvest this year?

We here in Phoenix haven't been asked to cut back our landscape water use, although they do run public service advertisements to use water wisely. THANKS.

Bring on EL NINO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 09:51 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
A huge project to add water meters to every home is still underway, pretty sure it's getting close to completed now. Part of the holdup is that the city has chosen to do it the difficult and expensive way, putting the meters under the sidewalks, instead of putting them in front yards, so every one requires demolishing concrete and replacing it, and they have taken other measures like replacing a lot of the water lines. that have inflated the cost and extended the timeline even when work wasn't needed for decades. The city has a "Cash for Grass" program and has encouraged people to replace lawns with low-water landscapes for a year or two now.

Because trees are so important to keeping the city cool, generally the policy has been to water trees but let lawns die, but the trees have suffered too due to the lack of moisture in the air. We're happy for the predictions of heavier rainfall but it may not be enough to make a real difference.

In summary, even those who don't have water meters yet will have them soon, so if you hoped to move to Sacramento to enjoy unmetered water, you missed your opportunity.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:35 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
I was moved from a flat $135 water bill to meters some time ago. At first it was nice because I could watch my water usage and cut my bill. But they're now charging an ever-increasing "water service fee" (currently $67.50) that's in place before they start adding in your water usage.

Honestly, I'd rather go back to a flat fee. My current bill doesn't arrive until mid-month and is due before the end of the month and I never have a clue how big it's going to be.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:37 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I'm in Carmichael, we are still flat rate ~ $60 a month. We are supposed to get meters some time in 2017

Old 12-13-2015, 09:37 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,836,360 times
We have water meters in Folsom

Old 12-14-2015, 09:34 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,163 times
Thanks for all of your inputs re: my water meter question. Doug

As a comparison, my Phoenix summer water bill is about $160/mo (front and back grass lawn), and about 40/mo in the winter when the tif grass is dormant.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:07 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,836,360 times
in folsom, trash, sewage & water is a combined bill. Thinking back through the summer until now, my average bill is $100-130.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:16 PM

256 posts, read 367,159 times
We have had our meter for a while. We took out the lawn years ago so our water bill went down from the flat rate, although I think by now it's back up. (We pay it along with garbage and sewer so I don't really pay attention to what's what, but the whole thing has gone up lately.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento