Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 05:29 PM

8 posts, read 30,985 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Carson City for 4 years now, originally from S Lake Tahoe. I would move back to Tahoe if it weren't for the fact that it is tooooo expensive to live there, too much tourist traffic and oh yeah all that snow. Did my years of shoveling thank you. I did live in Folsom for a few years and really loved it but now I want to a little further outside the city and closer to the hills.

I have been thinking about the Placerville area. I sure would like some input on what it is like to live there. I realize that Folsom and Sac are just a hop, skip and jump away but I prefer the quite. I am a young 58 with no kids. I work from home so work is not an issue.

Cost of renting. ( not looking to buy in CA at this time)
High Speed Internet. (a must)
Things to do. Especially in the summer like outdoor concerts, festivals etc.
Social Scene. (without having to go to Sac)
Safe neighborhoods/Not so safe neighborhoods
Good cafe's/coffee house.

If there is some place in the surrounding area that you might want to suggest please do.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:12 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenchick888 View Post
I have been living in Carson City for 4 years now, originally from S Lake Tahoe. I would move back to Tahoe if it weren't for the fact that it is tooooo expensive to live there, too much tourist traffic and oh yeah all that snow. Did my years of shoveling thank you. I did live in Folsom for a few years and really loved it but now I want to a little further outside the city and closer to the hills.

I have been thinking about the Placerville area. I sure would like some input on what it is like to live there. I realize that Folsom and Sac are just a hop, skip and jump away but I prefer the quite. I am a young 58 with no kids. I work from home so work is not an issue.

Cost of renting. ( not looking to buy in CA at this time)
High Speed Internet. (a must)
Things to do. Especially in the summer like outdoor concerts, festivals etc.
Social Scene. (without having to go to Sac)
Safe neighborhoods/Not so safe neighborhoods
Good cafe's/coffee house.

If there is some place in the surrounding area that you might want to suggest please do.

Thanks for your input.
If I remember correctly Carson City is only about 90 miles to Placerville, so you might want to start by taking a few day trips to the area so that you can check it out yourself

Old 01-30-2017, 10:07 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
Cost of renting. ( not looking to buy in CA at this time) - your best bet is to look at Trulia.com since they pull in the rental listing from many different property management companies.

High Speed Internet. (a must) - hit or miss depending on where you look

Things to do. Especially in the summer like outdoor concerts, festivals etc. - Lot's of events held downtown.

Social Scene. (without having to go to Sac) - I don't know

Safe neighborhoods/Not so safe neighborhoods - check out the EDC crime info page https://www.edcgov.us/Sheriff/Support/Records.aspx

Good cafe's/coffee house. - that I don't know

Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,846,485 times
I did a search and found all kinds of independent coffee houses in Placerville, I'm shocked.

I only remember the Cosmic Cafe and Zia's Italian Cafe & Gellato Bar (which I believe has moved to El Dorado Hills).
https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...lle%2C+CA&ns=1

If you are willing to drive down the hill a little further to Shingle Springs, this place is pretty good and has a nice atmosphere. Caffe Santoro | Coffee with personality

I would suggest joining one of the El Dorado County facebook groups.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1474593259479244/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/101394773567059/

Old 02-13-2017, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 30,985 times
Thanks everyone for your input. I work 7 days a week and long hours right now, so it has been hard for me to get a little time off to go check things out. Guess that is probably my best bet other than getting local input. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento