U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 PM

58 posts, read 45,018 times

Advertisements

Thnx for the Lincoln link, Caligirlz . We will get back up there. Busy listing our house down south this month. If it sells fast we will be up there pretty soon.

I liked the tree line areas. We went as far as Pollack Pines and it was probably pretty shaded and was cold. But still warmer than the Nevada side for sure. If it's anything like Yosemite foothills we have to look above 3000 ft. Thnx for info everyone.

2sleepy, we were surprised to see such high school/property taxes. My husband wants to move to the Nevada side. Tempting, saving on the income and property taxes both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 10:47 PM

35,207 posts, read 16,268,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOwl View Post
Thnx for the Lincoln link, Caligirlz . We will get back up there. Busy listing our house down south this month. If it sells fast we will be up there pretty soon.
I liked the tree line areas. We went as far as Pollack Pines and it was probably pretty shaded and was cold. But still warmer than the Nevada side for sure. If it's anything like Yosemite foothills we have to look above 3000 ft. Thnx for info everyone.
2sleepy, we were surprised to see such high school/property taxes. My husband wants to move to the Nevada side. Tempting, saving on the income and property taxes both!
Taxes in Sacramento County aren't bad at all, it's the smaller areas that have high assessments & mello roos that will kill you. We moved back to California last year after 14 years in Nevada - too cold and windy and there are too many times in the Winter when it's just a pain in the butt to drive over the pass to get to California.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:11 PM

Yes, my worries as well on the Nevada side, how long would we last there, how long to sell a home there if we didn't like it, and the weather. It's just too far from the family so I thought it'd be better to hunt on the Calif. side. We are in our mid sixties, so the mountains nearby is appealing.

Our priorities are to try for cooler than the valley, but closer to SF, so still in limbo as far as affording a place.

Thnx again!

Old 01-17-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, my worries as well on the Nevada side, how long would we last there, how long to sell a home there if we didn't like it, and the weather. It's just too far from the family so I thought it'd be better to hunt on the Calif. side. We are in our mid sixties, so the mountains nearby is appealing. Our priorities are to try for cooler than the valley, but closer to SF, so still in limbo as far as affording a place. Thnx again!
We moved from Reno last year as soon as my husband retired (we were so happy to get out of there) We didn't want to carry a mortgage so we set a cap of 330k. We ended up in Carmichael. My husband was worried about living in the Sacramento area because he hates hot weather (I love it) but he's really changed his mind and now says he wouldn't want to live anywhere else. We have adult children in Vacaville, Martinez and San Francisco and we wanted to be close enough to see them but not so close that we ended up being full time day care providers. We got a completely remodeled mid-century modern home, 1450 sq ft on 1/4 acre that is almost completely shaded by gorgeous old trees for 300k. Sacramento wasn't on the top of our list for a place to live, but after looking all over Northern California we found that it met most of our needs and houses were crazy cheap compared to the other places we looked.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:29 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,411,478 times
If you are considering going as far as Lincoln, you might want to check out Sun City Roseville too. It's about ten miles closer to the Bay Area than Lincoln is. It's between 99 and 65 so that's a short cut to and from the Bay Area. You won't have to go all the way up 80 and cut over on 65, necessarily. It does not have Mello-Roos.

Sun City Roseville - Community

There is also The Club which is another Del Webb/Pulte development practically next door to Sun City Roseville. It doesn't have the same amenities as SC Roseville or SC Lincoln Hills - no golf - but it does have a fitness center. It does have Mello-Roos, however.

The Club at Westpark -

The Delta Breeze impacts Roseville much more than Lincoln. So that's a plus in the summer.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:25 AM

Checking them all out within 8 weeks here. Luckily we have the RV to live in, the house sold fast this week. Looks like it is going to be sooner than thought, but we can take our time with the motorhome available. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-22-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Checking them all out within 8 weeks here. Luckily we have the RV to live in, the house sold fast this week. Looks like it is going to be sooner than thought, but we can take our time with the motorhome available. Thanks for your help!
Congrats on the quick sale of your home! Enjoy your house hunting and keep us informed of how it goes

Old 01-22-2016, 11:45 AM

3,700 posts, read 13,509,002 times
Check out Woodbridge in Manteca. Close to the Bay Area, Sacramento, Reno and Tahoe. The homes are in your range.

Active Adult Retirement Communities | Woodbridge | Manteca, CA | Del Webb New Home Builders

Old 01-23-2016, 07:42 PM

Thanks I will check out Manteca although hoping to be close to some rolling hills, if possible.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:43 AM

A quick follow up 3 years later, where PeaceOwl ended up buying.
We, after 5 months of living in our RV while trying to decide on where to live, decided to go for the small town inland from San Francisco, Rio Vista!

It is a nice, quiet town (a little too small for me), and time somewhat stands still here. We are 18 miles away from big shopping, but used to the drive now. I love living by the river with a huge delta breeze. If we were younger we’d have a boat for sure. It is a bit cooler than sacramento, getting cooler at night. One hour.ten from San Francisco, one hour from SAC airport, which is a delight to travel from. The 55+ trilogy is built out now and the people are so nice. The golf is great right off our back yard. There are give and takes, as with most towns. Nicely located for quick travels to theSierras and the coast. Very reasonable to retire here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or