Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 06:40 AM

50 posts, read 94,046 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I am considering a move to Roseville for my family of four. We are looking to move somewhere in the U.S. for the 2016 school year and I would love for it to be CA.

Our problem is that I am a school teacher and my wife stays home with the kids. This would not be a problem in OH and PA, where we are also looking, but in CA, cost of living is pretty darn high. I would be making in the $60k range in Roseville. (Or a little more if I commuted into Sac.)

So I've been searching for places that we could afford in CA that also have the amenities that we desire.

Is Roseville a nice place to raise a family?

Here is why I like it: proximity to Lake Tahoe and Yosemite for hiking and outdoor adventures, very close to Sacramento, close enough to San Fran, and close enough to Mariposa (where some of my family lives).

We like more suburban/rural living than city living. We love Tahoe and Yosemite. We also love a slightly slower pace of life.

I'm hoping Roseville might be a good fit.

Any comments? We have looked at many other affordable parts of CA that we were told were not good fits: Merced, Modesto, Tulare, etc.

Thanks for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 08:49 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,790,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenortodd View Post
Hi all.

I am considering a move to Roseville for my family of four. We are looking to move somewhere in the U.S. for the 2016 school year and I would love for it to be CA.

Our problem is that I am a school teacher and my wife stays home with the kids. This would not be a problem in OH and PA, where we are also looking, but in CA, cost of living is pretty darn high. I would be making in the $60k range in Roseville. (Or a little more if I commuted into Sac.)

So I've been searching for places that we could afford in CA that also have the amenities that we desire.

Is Roseville a nice place to raise a family?

Here is why I like it: proximity to Lake Tahoe and Yosemite for hiking and outdoor adventures, very close to Sacramento, close enough to San Fran, and close enough to Mariposa (where some of my family lives).

We like more suburban/rural living than city living. We love Tahoe and Yosemite. We also love a slightly slower pace of life.

I'm hoping Roseville might be a good fit.

Any comments? We have looked at many other affordable parts of CA that we were told were not good fits: Merced, Modesto, Tulare, etc.

Thanks for any comments.
Roseville is a VERY good place to raise a family, but on one income, you may find yourself in cramped accommodations. The older, smaller and possibly shabbier single family homes of the "Old Town" or "Railroad District" of Roseville could still fit your budget. These will be in the more grid-like streets on the map of Roseville.

Before Roseville attracted electronics and other industries, its main employer was the formerly Southern Pacific, now Union Pacific, railroad, and the older homes of Roseville come from that era. These homes are not as posh as the newer subdivisions that surround them, but you would still be in Roseville. Other than railroad noise and a few hobos hopping on and off the freight trains, these are nice areas too.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:53 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,815,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenortodd View Post

Our problem is that I am a school teacher and my wife stays home with the kids. I would be making in the $60k range in Roseville. (Or a little more if I commuted into Sac.)

Is Roseville a nice place to raise a family? Yes, depending on your definition of nice. It's a suburb full of cookie cutter developments, and a shopping hub

We like more suburban/rural living than city living. We love Tahoe and Yosemite. We also love a slightly slower pace of life. Roseville does not qualify for a slower pace of live. Have you visited? driven on the roads? been there on a weekend?

We have looked at many other affordable parts of CA that we were told were not good fits: Merced, Modesto, Tulare, etc.
Just curious, who told you other parts of CA were not good fits? Merced, Modesto, Tulare are much smaller than Roseville, and dont have the Sacramento sprawl nearby.

Anything else of importance? budget? cultural events, activities? population size?

Have you looked at Visalia? I used to live there, and can direct you to people who can answer your questions honestly vs those on CD who've never lived there. PM me if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento