Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:23 PM

174 posts, read 219,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I can understand it being a challenge. But, as you also stated, something will come up. Below is a Google St view link that you can use to explore Paradise at bit. The one positive I see (at least for me) is it looks like the area has a lot of trees. I also have the impression that it's a rather car dependent area. As NoSnow pointed out, summers may not be very pleasant because of the heat and there really isn't any place within a reasonable rive to escape the heat. 2nd link below is picture of library

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7526...8i6656!6m1!1e1
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx...erklo1_500.jpg
I love that pic of the library. I also like the trees. I'm going to check into the heat issue. I just assumed that the elevation would mitigate the heat aspect. Good point about not having a place to escape the heat either!

And being a car dependent area wouldn't be good. I have a car but sometimes need to be driven to medical appts.

It looks like I'm going to have to keep looking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 09:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,322,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
I would think Paradise would be cooler than Chico given it's elevation? I've been checking average weather temps. Hmmm. I actually like heat but not humid heat. I have a high school friend who lives just above Paradise. I'll have to get in contact with her. I'm more concerned about all the rain in Paradise.

It is a cottage apartment though---ground floor apartments only and excellent property management.

Ideally I'd be able stay here for awhile longer and just keep looking. Even more ideal is that I'd be able to afford to stay in a house.

Good idea about the fan. Have you noticed that's it's a lot noisier living in a closed building?

If living in an enclosed building doable, I'd much prefer Solvang. I worry about being surrounded by neighbors and having more noise issues as I know these sorts of apartments have thin walls.
Oh, the cottage apartment would be heaven! I answered your other thread regarding enclosed buildings on the renter's forum.

I didn't realize Paradise was so much higher in elevation than Chico. I found this website about their weather:

About Paradise, California 95969

I haven't been there since I was a teenager, but it was beautiful. We went swimming in the Feather River, as I recall. I remember there being some flat rocks we could slide down in the river.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh, the cottage apartment would be heaven! I answered your other thread regarding enclosed buildings on the renter's forum.

I didn't realize Paradise was so much higher in elevation than Chico. I found this website about their weather:

About Paradise, California 95969

I haven't been there since I was a teenager, but it was beautiful. We went swimming in the Feather River, as I recall. I remember there being some flat rocks we could slide down in the river.

I saw your post on the other thread. Thanks so much. It's such a toss up! On the one hand I would love to live in the apartments in Paradise---no worry about stairs or people above or below me. And a cottage apartment. I haven't found anything like it in my price range.

Thanks for that link. Whew! I was worrying about the hot weather. It sounds like it would be more manageable than where I currently live. They also have a small patio (emphasis on small) but I could put up a hummingbird feeder and a couple other bird feeders.

I'd have neighbors on each side of me. There's no issue with having a pet. The town isn't all that exciting. Not that I get out much but it would be nice to do something now and then. I love nature so if I could find someplace close where I could take short walks and a book that would be fine. I like your ability of being able to walk your dog on the ocean every day.

I have to make a decision in by March 1st so I have another 8 days to fret and worry about all that could go wrong. Lol!

Old 02-22-2016, 02:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,322,822 times
I know, there's no perfect place. I think I'd go for Paradise over Solvang. I looked at Solvang since your thread, and have been watching the weather there, wondering if I might like to live there. But, my main reason for not moving there would be just that I've always lived in Northern California. The culture is different in Southern CA. I think it would be too much of an adjustment for me.

Chico is not far from Paradise, so you should be able to find fun things to do there and decent medical. The one thing that is super inconvenient for me is that the local dental clinic isn't taking new adult patients, and the nearest dentist that will take my insurance (blend of Denti-Cal and additional California state dental insurance) is either Redding or Santa Rosa. Ugh.

Paradise still does have about 60 days of super hot days, but I think I'd still choose Paradise over Solvang. Solvang is into the 80's this week already, so might not be that much cooler overall.

And a cottage apartment - heaven! The one I'm on a list for is in the Santa Rosa area and it's a 1 - 2 year wait. Sounds about the same, though. Has a teensy little fenced backyard, too.

Well, good luck with your decision. I can't wait to see where you decide to go. I think you'd be fine in either one. Do you have friends or family in the Sacramento area? That might be a factor to stay closer, too.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:11 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,792,840 times
Paradise does have the advantage of being closer to the general area you have indicated in previous posting that you are living now, then Solvang....that should save you some moving expense over Solvang. Paradise is approx. 90 miles from Sac vs approx. 360 miles for Solvang.

Is it feasible for you to take a quick to Paradise, before making a decision ?

Old 02-22-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Paradise does have the advantage of being closer to the general area you have indicated in previous posting that you are living now, then Solvang....that should save you some moving expense over Solvang. Paradise is approx. 90 miles from Sac vs approx. 360 miles for Solvang.

Is it feasible for you to take a quick to Paradise, before making a decision ?

That would be my hope. I'm currently looking for a ride up there. If I can't find one in the next few days I'm not opposed to paying someone from craiglist if need be.

It would definitely save on moving expenses. I keep looking at pictures of Solvang and loving the area but I don't want to live in an enclosed apartment building. It's too bad.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:40 PM

Found a walking trail located within the city of Paradise.....link below, you can see a bench on the trail

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7510...2!8i6656?hl=en

Found a coffee shop, what looks to be a good size antique shop, Holiday Market grocery store.......

Old 02-22-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Found a walking trail located within the city of Paradise.....link below, you can see a bench on the trail

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7510...2!8i6656?hl=en

Found a coffee shop, what looks to be a good size antique shop, Holiday Market grocery store.......
Oh wow-that's so nice of you! I was moved. It looks like a pretty trail-the kind I like. I do bird photography as a hobby and that particular place looks like it would have birds. One thing I love about where I live now is the abundance of birds in the large yard. I'll miss that but if I can figure out a way to get my bird fix that would make a move easier (emotionally). Good to know about the coffee shop. I also googled book stores (I love books!). It was nice to see they have a couple. Thank you!

Old 02-23-2016, 06:27 PM

114 posts, read 110,534 times
I think I would choose Solvang, Grass Valley and then Paradise in that order. Solvang has a lot going for it, I think it's a charming town and it's not far from the ocean (especially compared to the other two). I like the aesthetics of both Solvang and Grass Valley (Paradise is kind of a plain mountain town, which up in the north state are a dime a dozen), and the former two seem to have a bit more diversity in terms of shops, restaurants, etc. As far as cost of living goes, Paradise might be a smidge cheaper than the others, with Solvang being the most expensive.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radaghast View Post
I think I would choose Solvang, Grass Valley and then Paradise in that order. Solvang has a lot going for it, I think it's a charming town and it's not far from the ocean (especially compared to the other two). I like the aesthetics of both Solvang and Grass Valley (Paradise is kind of a plain mountain town, which up in the north state are a dime a dozen), and the former two seem to have a bit more diversity in terms of shops, restaurants, etc. As far as cost of living goes, Paradise might be a smidge cheaper than the others, with Solvang being the most expensive.
My understanding from previous postings by RedH is that this person has a rather limited budget for moving expenses. Although Solvang seems to have a number of positive things going for it, the cost and logistics of moving there for RedH is not among them. Also from previous postings, RedH is limited to certain types of housing and the complex that is available to RedH in Solvang.....RedH seems to have some reservations about the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento