U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2016, 09:52 PM
 
Location: SAN FRANCISCO
930 posts, read 688,788 times
Reputation: 481

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
Oh wow-that's so nice of you! I was moved. It looks like a pretty trail-the kind I like. I do bird photography as a hobby and that particular place looks like it would have birds. One thing I love about where I live now is the abundance of birds in the large yard. I'll miss that but if I can figure out a way to get my bird fix that would make a move easier (emotionally). Good to know about the coffee shop. I also googled book stores (I love books!). It was nice to see they have a couple. Thank you!
GREEN PARADISE CAFE MENU | Green Paradise Cafe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2016, 10:03 PM
 
Location: SAN FRANCISCO
930 posts, read 688,788 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
That would be my hope. I'm currently looking for a ride up there. If I can't find one in the next few days I'm not opposed to paying someone from craiglist if need be.

It would definitely save on moving expenses. I keep looking at pictures of Solvang and loving the area but I don't want to live in an enclosed apartment building. It's too bad.
I rather know how it is to look for a ride. I have been stuck in my apt for about 2 months, ordering groceries over the internet and bumming rides from a former coworker for appointments.....just waiting for Kaiser to finally send me for to a consultation with a neurosurgeon for my lumbar spine issues (symptoms down into right leg & foot) they try all the more conservative things first.....physical therapy, steroid pills, epidural injections. .....first two seemed to have helped for awhile last summer ....but, slowly started going down hill from there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 02:52 PM
 
174 posts, read 153,758 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I rather know how it is to look for a ride. I have been stuck in my apt for about 2 months, ordering groceries over the internet and bumming rides from a former coworker for appointments.....just waiting for Kaiser to finally send me for to a consultation with a neurosurgeon for my lumbar spine issues (symptoms down into right leg & foot) they try all the more conservative things first.....physical therapy, steroid pills, epidural injections. .....first two seemed to have helped for awhile last summer ....but, slowly started going down hill from there

I know how it is to be home bound. When my illness is in a big flare I have to do the same. It can be pretty isolating. And I know about lumbar spine issues. I had surgery by Kaiser back in 2006. They did an excellent job. Sciatica pain is no joke.

They should send you for a consult now that you've tried all the conservative measures. Oakland Kaiser has an excellent team of orthopedic surgeons specializing in spine surgery.

I did my post-doc at Kaiser years ago so if you have questions feel free to pm me! Things have likely changed since then but if I can be of help...

Thanks for the link to that cafe. I love that sort of food.

I spoke to the apt manager in Paradise. They won't have an opening for a couple months so I have some time to recover from this current flare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 03:22 PM
 
Location: SAN FRANCISCO
930 posts, read 688,788 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
I know how it is to be home bound. When my illness is in a big flare I have to do the same. It can be pretty isolating. And I know about lumbar spine issues. I had surgery by Kaiser back in 2006. They did an excellent job. Sciatica pain is no joke.

They should send you for a consult now that you've tried all the conservative measures. Oakland Kaiser has an excellent team of orthopedic surgeons specializing in spine surgery.

I did my post-doc at Kaiser years ago so if you have questions feel free to pm me! Things have likely changed since then but if I can be of help...

Thanks for the link to that cafe. I love that sort of food.

I spoke to the apt manager in Paradise. They won't have an opening for a couple months so I have some time to recover from this current flare.
When & if it happens, decompression surgery would be @ SF Kaiser.


Given the info from you previous posting, I think Paradise is worth a look...providing the complex available to you there is acceptable. Sure it may be a bit of a "mountain town" and perhaps more conservative then you would like, hot summers. But, I think just from what I can glean off the internet, I think it's worth a trip up there to look the place over for yourself.


Town of Paradise - Things to Do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,597 posts, read 24,283,917 times
Reputation: 36938
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post

I spoke to the apt manager in Paradise. They won't have an opening for a couple months so I have some time to recover from this current flare.
I thought you had to move immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2016, 01:28 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,604 posts, read 32,131,051 times
Reputation: 29125
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
I saw your post on the other thread. Thanks so much. It's such a toss up! On the one hand I would love to live in the apartments in Paradise---no worry about stairs or people above or below me. And a cottage apartment. I haven't found anything like it in my price range.

Thanks for that link. Whew! I was worrying about the hot weather. It sounds like it would be more manageable than where I currently live. They also have a small patio (emphasis on small) but I could put up a hummingbird feeder and a couple other bird feeders.

I'd have neighbors on each side of me. There's no issue with having a pet. The town isn't all that exciting. Not that I get out much but it would be nice to do something now and then. I love nature so if I could find someplace close where I could take short walks and a book that would be fine. I like your ability of being able to walk your dog on the ocean every day.

I have to make a decision in by March 1st so I have another 8 days to fret and worry about all that could go wrong. Lol!
Paradise does indeed have trees and lots of them. The piney smell is lovely. It also has a small hospital and is only about a 20 minute drive from Chico with more amenities although all the basics are available in Paradise. Chico with the state university and surrounds can provide you with a liberal fix should you need one. You could do a lot worse (one of my daughters and her family lived there for about five years) and it's relatively quiet and scenic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2016, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
602 posts, read 528,609 times
Reputation: 712
I would consider Solvang. Nice temperate climate; clean, small and quaint. The Santa Ynez Valley is beautiful but can be pricey. Second choice would be Grass Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 12:10 AM
 
174 posts, read 153,758 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I thought you had to move immediately.
It was looking like I would have to move sooner than later but I *think* I can wrangle a couple more months (maybe more). I thought I would have to give notice by March 1st.

Unfortunately the Solvang property management company seems to be a bit disorganized. I thought they were sending me lease documents to sign but instead sent me documents to qualify for the property. I'm not sure why they're sending these when I thought I'd already qualified and the building opens on April 1st so I would think they would want a lease signed as well as the security deposit. When I asked about the lease I was told that wouldn't happen until I moved in?

My preference would be Solvang because of the area and the climate but the enclosed building doesn't appeal to me and I'm having a couple red flags about the property management company now. It's not sounding like a sure bet all of a sudden. I'm concerned that I haven't signed a lease nor been provided with one. I have excellent credit, excellent rental history, etc....I'm thinking that having a pet is an issue, even though I have a doctor's letter, and they are finding an indirect way of getting out of renting.


I'm trying to keep my options open just in case.....

Last edited by redhummingbird; 02-26-2016 at 12:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 12:31 AM
 
174 posts, read 153,758 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Paradise does indeed have trees and lots of them. The piney smell is lovely. It also has a small hospital and is only about a 20 minute drive from Chico with more amenities although all the basics are available in Paradise. Chico with the state university and surrounds can provide you with a liberal fix should you need one. You could do a lot worse (one of my daughters and her family lived there for about five years) and it's relatively quiet and scenic.
Thanks Curmudgeon. This is good to know. The pine smell would remind me of camping which would be nice. And I would need a liberal fix....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,597 posts, read 24,283,917 times
Reputation: 36938
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
It was looking like I would have to move sooner than later but I *think* I can wrangle a couple more months (maybe more). I thought I would have to give notice by March 1st.

Unfortunately the Solvang property management company seems to be a bit disorganized. I thought they were sending me lease documents to sign but instead sent me documents to qualify for the property. I'm not sure why they're sending these when I thought I'd already qualified and the building opens on April 1st so I would think they would want a lease signed as well as the security deposit. When I asked about the lease I was told that wouldn't happen until I moved in?

My preference would be Solvang because of the area and the climate but the enclosed building doesn't appeal to me and I'm having a couple red flags about the property management company now. It's not sounding like a sure bet all of a sudden. I'm concerned that I haven't signed a lease nor been provided with one. I have excellent credit, excellent rental history, etc....I'm thinking that having a pet is an issue, even though I have a doctor's letter, and they are finding an indirect way of getting out of renting.


I'm trying to keep my options open just in case.....
Actually, most places won't let you sign a lease until you get the key. I think it's a really stupid business practice. When I was managing, I wanted a signed lease before I'd stop showing an apartment. But, most places cover their butts in case they can't provide the unit on time. The silly thing is, you can write a clause into the lease (actually, it's standard in most leases ) that says you're not liable if the place isn't ready on time.

It's especially irritating when you're paying movers who are standing around by the truck while you're sitting in an office with a manager explaining and having you initial and sign a hundred different documents. Grrrr. That's how it was in Redding. In Crescent City, they offered first month free rent after their remodel, so I signed the lease and got the key when I came to look at it.

Anyway, that's actually not unusual. But, you could always ask them to email you a copy of the lease, so you could see what you'd be signing.

I'm glad you have more time to make your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top