U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:13 PM

14,765 posts, read 16,781,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
I'm a bit disappointed about Paradise. I had bookmarked all your links, googled, dr's, dentist, veterinarian. All were close to the apartment so it would have been really good in many ways.

I love that this coffee company is right next to a bookstore. I haven't been able to find a public transit system in Solvang. I'm a little nervous about moving that far away. I might have mentioned before (can't remember) but I got my PhD near Santa Barbara. Solvang is about 35 miles from Santa Barbara. I'm just assuming I'll like the area. I need to check out services for seniors (55 and over) as well as public transit.

Part of my nervousness about moving so far is that my Dad died last month (which is why my illness is so flared right now). He was my last surviving parent. We were close so I'm sort of craving the comfort of the familiar (if that makes sense).

The apartment in Solvang is brand new. I'm told that seniors don't move that often so if I worry if I don't take the Solvang place I might end up in a not so good situation. So much to think about. And not the best time to be making major decisions. This was all in process prior to his death. If I could I would prefer to be back in SF or the East Bay.
It does make sense. A split may or may not be the best thing, but if it is the way you go either Grass Valley or Solvang would be great places to start over. It's hard for me to imagine not taking to Solvang. Grass Valley you could end up being a little insular in. While there's the concentrated Main Street/downtown area it's otherwise much more spread out than Solvang is. I suppose you could do the same in Solvang but it would be hard. It's a tourist town and pretty much always has a lot of activity going on. Unlike a major city though, it's personable though. In a large city you can be surrounded by humanity and totally alone, if that makes sense. I don't think you could do that in Solvang, or at least I couldn't. The other thing is medical care in Solvang. They do have a 20-bed hospital but just going by that I imagine is limited.

I'd go for Solvang and not look back but that's a very personal issue that really only you can answer or perhaps someone who knows you very well. If you have a therapist, that would be a good person to talk to. I'm much, much younger but when my dad died I went through a phase where I was somewhat paralyzed and had difficulty making big decisions and was also at a time in my life when unfortunately I needed to make them. Moving away worked for me. Not being around the familiar helped me get out of my own head rather than constant reminders of familiar places. Everyone is different. It wasn't comforting to me but it took me a while to figure that out.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-01-2016 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 08:12 PM

174 posts, read 154,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It does make sense. A split may or may not be the best thing, but if it is the way you go either Grass Valley or Solvang would be great places to start over. It's hard for me to imagine not taking to Solvang. Grass Valley you could end up being a little insular in. While there's the concentrated Main Street/downtown area it's otherwise much more spread out than Solvang is. I suppose you could do the same in Solvang but it would be hard. It's a tourist town and pretty much always has a lot of activity going on. Unlike a major city though, it's personable though. In a large city you can be surrounded by humanity and totally alone, if that makes sense. I don't think you could do that in Solvang, or at least I couldn't. The other thing is medical care in Solvang. They do have a 20-bed hospital but just going by that I imagine is limited.

I'd go for Solvang and not look back but that's a very personal issue that really only you can answer or perhaps someone who knows you very well. If you have a therapist, that would be a good person to talk to. I'm much, much younger but when my dad died I went through a phase where I was somewhat paralyzed and had difficulty making big decisions and was also at a time in my life when unfortunately I needed to make them. Moving away worked for me. Not being around the familiar helped me get out of my own head rather than constant reminders of familiar places. Everyone is different. It wasn't comforting to me but it took me a while to figure that out.
Thanks Malloric. I appreciate this. Solvang appeals to me in many ways. I'm trying to figure out a way around being surrounded by apartments with thin walls. I'm not a fan of noise on every side and below me.

I thought I'd update this thread in case it helps anyone else. I've ruled out Grass Valley. Apparently it's quite difficult finding MD's who are taking new Medicare patients so people end up going 'down the hill' for medical care. Also, the property management company has pages of negative reviews, complaints, lawsuits. I thought I'd give them a chance and went ahead and met with the property manager. It only confirmed the complaints I'd read.

I'm still looking for a place locally with not much luck. The price of the apts in both Solvang and Paradise are roughly $200 less for what I can get here.

I'm trying to get information on whether Paradise has a ton of grey days given the large amount (55 inches) of rainfall they get. If Paradise had the weather that Solvang has I'd move there. Or, if the apartments in Paradise were located in Solvang I'd move there.

The Paradise apts are 1 floor only with a small patio. It's just that rainfall.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:45 PM

18,609 posts, read 24,364,502 times
I was wondering how things were going for you. Glad you could go check out GV.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:06 PM

934 posts, read 691,674 times
If possible and you feel up to it, see if you can find someone to drive you to Paradise. Look the place over and talk to some of the locals there......counter person at a coffee shop, clerk in a store. It would make for a nice one day trip with time to explore the town a bit.
Are there any listing in any of the cities in Yolo county.....such as Woodland ? Yolo county has a public transit and it looks like you can use their public transportation system to get to Sacramento.

http://www.yolobus.com/media/Yolobus...ewMap03-13.pdf

Old 03-21-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I was wondering how things were going for you. Glad you could go check out GV.
Still deciding! Lol. I have about 4-6 months left to live here but I'm no longer confident I can find what I want in this area which leaves me until April 1st to decide on Solvang or Paradise. Both places are available May 1st.

Every time I make a decision one way I think of all the reason I should take the other place (if that makes sense). I like the property manager in Paradise. She seems on top of things. I like that they accept pets with no medical letter needed.

I'm relieved I was able to check out Grass Valley. Cute town. I also heard that the locals aren't very welcoming to new people (according to my brother-in-law and his wife).

Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
If possible and you feel up to it, see if you can find someone to drive you to Paradise. Look the place over and talk to some of the locals there......counter person at a coffee shop, clerk in a store. It would make for a nice one day trip with time to explore the town a bit.
Are there any listing in any of the cities in Yolo county.....such as Woodland ? Yolo county has a public transit and it looks like you can use their public transportation system to get to Sacramento.

http://www.yolobus.com/media/Yolobus...ewMap03-13.pdf
I did find a good Uber driver who used to be an RN. He said he's available for longer trips so I'll likely hire him to drive me to Paradise to check it out. Too bad I couldn't find an inexpensive way to get to Solvang so I could check that out too.

There are occasional listings in Yolo county. I had applied for an apartment in West Sacramento but when I asked a casual question about pest control (there's a big roach problem in this area) I got a call about an hour later letting me know the resident had changed his mind about moving.

I'll see what comes up. There are also a 55+ low income tax credit property opening up in San Francisco in the Fall. I would give my right arm to be back in SF even if it has grey weather. I loved it there. I don't think I can stay where I am until it opens. I just found out about that place. I think they will give priority to SF residents though.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I did find a good Uber driver who used to be an RN. He said he's available for longer trips so I'll likely hire him to drive me to Paradise to check it out. Too bad I couldn't find an inexpensive way to get to Solvang so I could check that out too.

There are occasional listings in Yolo county. I had applied for an apartment in West Sacramento but when I asked a casual question about pest control (there's a big roach problem in this area) I got a call about an hour later letting me know the resident had changed his mind about moving.

I'll see what comes up. There are also a 55+ low income tax credit property opening up in San Francisco in the Fall. I would give my right arm to be back in SF even if it has grey weather. I loved it there. I don't think I can stay where I am until it opens. I just found out about that place. I think they will give priority to SF residents though.

Good to hear that a Paradise day trip is feasible for you. Solvang trip would likely need to a be a overnighter considering the distance.
I can see it's a hard decision to make....either choose Paradise or Solvang ...or take your chances and wait longer.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:40 AM

18,609 posts, read 24,364,502 times
Quote:
Still deciding! Lol. I have about 4-6 months left to live here but I'm no longer confident I can find what I want in this area which leaves me until April 1st to decide on Solvang or Paradise. Both places are available May 1st.

Every time I make a decision one way I think of all the reason I should take the other place (if that makes sense). I like the property manager in Paradise. She seems on top of things. I like that they accept pets with no medical letter needed.

I'm relieved I was able to check out Grass Valley. Cute town. I also heard that the locals aren't very welcoming to new people (according to my brother-in-law and his wife).
I completely understand the dilemma. The reason is because neither are perfect or what you would love to have in your dreams. Both are compromises, so it's tough to decide on the lesser of two evils.

This place isn't everything you'd love, but if you can move into a studio, this place has some available now in San Jose. This neighborhood is pretty good. I'm actually going to get on a waiting list for a one-bedroom here. It's right next to Santa Clara and really close to Sunnyvale - my old stomping grounds. Low income tax property, 55+. They're advertising on Craigslist now for studios.

Depending on your income, your rent could be cheaper than the price listed on the ad. You'd be much closer to SF and could then continue your quest to move back to the city, and be close enough to travel to SF.

Studios available for Seniors 55+ at Miranda Villa!

And by the way, regarding the place in Paradise not requiring a medical letter for your dog - with the medical letter, you don't have to pay a pet deposit. If she wants a pet deposit, then ask for a reasonable accommodation for your emotional support dog, and because the dog is then basically a medical necessity and not a pet - they can't charge you a pet deposit.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:10 PM

Redh, that appears to be a nice senior apt complex that NoSnow mentioned in her posting above. Neighborhood looks good. It's close to a major shopping center, about a 20 min bus ride to the College Park Caltrain station (you could take a day trip to SF), I think the weather would likely be very agreeable to you. Don't know if it is anyway feasible for you.....

Old 03-22-2016, 11:52 PM

Good to know that the letter from my doctor means not paying a pet deposit. And thanks too for the link to those apartments NoMoreSnowForMe. They look nice and I like the outdoor space. I'd love to be back in the Bay Area again.

They are out of my price range but I'm going to contact them tomorrow to see if there are any units for lower rent that I can get on a waitlist for.

If I find out any info I'll let you know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento