U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:19 AM

934 posts, read 694,320 times

Advertisements

Village At Willow Glen Senior Community Apartments - San Jose, CA 95125 | Apartments for Rent

The one NS referenced may be a bit nicer.....this one looks a bit lower cost......don't know if they have a vacancy though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:52 AM

18,610 posts, read 24,439,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
Good to know that the letter from my doctor means not paying a pet deposit. And thanks too for the link to those apartments NoMoreSnowForMe. They look nice and I like the outdoor space. I'd love to be back in the Bay Area again.

They are out of my price range but I'm going to contact them tomorrow to see if there are any units for lower rent that I can get on a waitlist for.

If I find out any info I'll let you know!
I like that area. It's not fancy, not a lot of green space right around that building, but it's just a couple blocks from Santa Clara and Sunnyvale. The shopping is great in that area, and you'd be next to a big mall. There's a hospital across the street, but if you get into the county health system, you can go to the clinic in Sunnyvale on Fair Oaks. You wouldn't have to drive but a mile or two in any direction to get anything you needed, and could even walk if you needed to, to a lot of stuff.

If you're up to driving, there's a great dog park called Roy M. Bucher, I think, just about 10 minutes away, too.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 AM

Redh, perhaps the SJ area would allow you to save a bit of money in other ways, that could help offset the higher rental costs. Perhaps lower energy bill...no need to have a air conditioner running constantly during the summer for example

One the map there appears to be some park areas that are within a reasonable walk from the apt complex NS referenced.....including this one. Rose Garden

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mu...0126d6!6m1!1e1

Old 03-23-2016, 11:00 AM

18,610 posts, read 24,439,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Redh, perhaps the SJ area would allow you to save a bit of money in other ways, that could help offset the higher rental costs. Perhaps lower energy bill...no need to have a air conditioner running constantly during the summer for example

One the map there appears to be some park areas that are within a reasonable walk from the apt complex NS referenced.....including this one. Rose Garden

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mu...0126d6!6m1!1e1
Yes, the Rose Garden is really nice. The senior center in Santa Clara is like a fancy spa. If you move to a spot with everything you need around you, then you don't have to deal with the traffic much, either. But, it's not for everyone. It's a sprawling concrete jungle with some parks here and there. The complete opposite of Crescent City, that's for sure.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, the Rose Garden is really nice. The senior center in Santa Clara is like a fancy spa. If you move to a spot with everything you need around you, then you don't have to deal with the traffic much, either. But, it's not for everyone. It's a sprawling concrete jungle with some parks here and there. The complete opposite of Crescent City, that's for sure.

NoSnow, it sounds like you are wanting to move to a area that would have more amenities close to you...."everything you need around you". I hope it works out for you.

RedH, if you do make the day trip to Paradise. I (probably others too) would be interested in your impressions of city and surrounding area in general

Old 03-23-2016, 05:29 PM

174 posts, read 154,718 times
Quote:
NoSnow, it sounds like you are wanting to move to a area that would have more amenities close to you...."everything you need around you". I hope it works out for you.

RedH, if you do make the day trip to Paradise. I (probably others too) would be interested in your impressions of city and surrounding area in general
I'll definitely post my impressions once I get up there. I'm trying to find a good day to go visit. It's about 90 minutes from where I'm at now so not too far. Are you considering moving out of SF?

Old 03-23-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I'll definitely post my impressions once I get up there. I'm trying to find a good day to go visit. It's about 90 minutes from where I'm at now so not too far. Are you considering moving out of SF?

I have been giving thought to moving myself. I am tired of the weather in the western part of SF where I live. I would like to live somewhere a bit quieter. I have grown weary of the traffic. The apt I live in is long past due for some sort of refurbishment. The only way that is going to happen is if I hire a contractor myself. Insulation is not very good here either. I can hear the tenant above me whenever he is on the phone or just sneezes. Fortunately he works long hours during the week, doesn't play loud music and seems to rarely turn on his TV. The apt building is only 5 units. It's been suggested to me that I think long and hard about giving up a rent controlled apt in SF, considering I am pay 1/2 or less current market rate, have a indoor garage parking spot, neighborhood is safe and has amenities, such as a movie theater, cafe's, 2 bakeries and variety of other shops.....finally, the landlady like me .
But, before I can explore moving options, the darn spine issue needs to improve so that I can drive (bus not much better) The health issue/s pushed me into a early retirement from my job. I would like to at least work part time some day.
Kaiser doctor wants me to give it more time to "resolve itself" (6 to 8 weeks) At this point he feels a surgeon will not recommend surgical intervention. The epidurals helped some for about 2 or 3 weeks then it was down hill.....maybe made it worse. The main culprit with my collection arthritic spine problem it seems now is with the sciatic nerve. I will give it some more time.....but, at some point I will take it up with member services if there is no improvement and no referral for a surgical consultation. I can switch health plan providers...but, not until end of this year. Ordering all your groceries online & using Amazon for other items can't go on indefinitely....nor bumming rides to appointments or using a taxi

Old 03-23-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Moving to a spot where everything I need is close by is preferable. I'm not sure I'm fond of a sprawling concrete jungle anymore. Back when I was busy, working, and mobile I could drive to a park and go for a long run. Crescent City sounds beautiful. I have a friend who lives up near there. She's considering moving because she can't find a doctor.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I have been giving thought to moving myself. I am tired of the weather in the western part of SF where I live. I would like to live somewhere a bit quieter. I have grown weary of the traffic. The apt I live in is long past due for some sort of refurbishment. The only way that is going to happen is if I hire a contractor myself. Insulation is not very good here either. I can hear the tenant above me whenever he is on the phone or just sneezes. Fortunately he works long hours during the week, doesn't play loud music and seems to rarely turn on his TV. The apt building is only 5 units. It's been suggested to me that I think long and hard about giving up a rent controlled apt in SF, considering I am pay 1/2 or less current market rate, have a indoor garage parking spot, neighborhood is safe and has amenities, such as a movie theater, cafe's, 2 bakeries and variety of other shops.....finally, the landlady like me .
But, before I can explore moving options, the darn spine issue needs to improve so that I can drive (bus not much better) The health issue/s pushed me into a early retirement from my job. I would like to at least work part time some day.
Kaiser doctor wants me to give it more time to "resolve itself" (6 to 8 weeks) At this point he feels a surgeon will not recommend surgical intervention. The epidurals helped some for about 2 or 3 weeks then it was down hill.....maybe made it worse. The main culprit with my collection arthritic spine problem it seems now is with the sciatic nerve. I will give it some more time.....but, at some point I will take it up with member services if there is no improvement and no referral for a surgical consultation. I can switch health plan providers...but, not until end of this year. Ordering all your groceries online & using Amazon for other items can't go on indefinitely....nor bumming rides to appointments or using a taxi
It sounds like you have a huge decision to make regarding whether to move or not. That would be a lot to give up. I know that for me, once I got sick, my priorities changed. I need a quieter slower pace. Nature is a priority. Access to simple things is enough now. Although I'd love to be back in SF, I think the pace of the city would be a stressor.

If you aren't able to get to point of being more mobile it might be worth moving.

The spine issues sound painful especially that the sciatic nerve is involved. It seems a conversation with member services would be in order soon given that your doctor won't refer you to a surgeon for a consult. And since your doctor isn't a surgeon how would he know a surgeon wouldn't recommend something to take the pressure of the sciatic nerve.

I have back issues myself and had a microdiscectomy in 2006. That was back when I was still healthy and my main concern was whether or not I could keep running. I also have arthritis in the spine. It can be pretty painful at times.

I'll keep you posted on Paradise. I'm also looking into train options to see Solvang.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you have a huge decision to make regarding whether to move or not. That would be a lot to give up. I know that for me, once I got sick, my priorities changed. I need a quieter slower pace. Nature is a priority. Access to simple things is enough now. Although I'd love to be back in SF, I think the pace of the city would be a stressor.

If you aren't able to get to point of being more mobile it might be worth moving.

The spine issues sound painful especially that the sciatic nerve is involved. It seems a conversation with member services would be in order soon given that your doctor won't refer you to a surgeon for a consult. And since your doctor isn't a surgeon how would he know a surgeon wouldn't recommend something to take the pressure of the sciatic nerve.

I have back issues myself and had a microdiscectomy in 2006. That was back when I was still healthy and my main concern was whether or not I could keep running. I also have arthritis in the spine. It can be pretty painful at times.

I'll keep you posted on Paradise. I'm also looking into train options to see Solvang.
Actually the pain is more of a ache that is not constantly present. It's the fatigue/weakness feeling and the tingling down into the right foot that is the problem. Tingling can get so bad that the brake & gas peddle starts to feel vague. A car with a higher seat & more leg room would be better I was told this by a physical therapist at Kaiser. Because, whenever your knee is raised above your hip level, it causes pressure on the lumbar spine. When I am better. looking for another car is on my to do list. Another problem is it's not flat in my neighborhood. I am pretty sure that walking up a grade aggravates the condition. I can currently only walk about one block from my apt. It's a bit frustrating because my lifestyle was on weekends and other days off work, when I working and into retirement, was never staying home all day. Almost always went somewhere, usually after lunch....sometimes to Berkeley & Oakland or across the Golden Gate Bridge to take a trail walk somewhere in Marin......or sometimes just over to one of the neighborhoods in the eastern part of SF to explore and find a interesting cafe'. The photo in my posting was taken while setting on a bench on a hiking trail in Marin, last Oct. The lumbar spine condition was bothering me some at the time. But, not enough to prevent me from a afternoon excursion.

Getting back to your situation. I do really think it would be beneficial for you to make the Paradise trip. Nothing can really take the place of actually visiting somewhere in person yourself. Either Paradise will be ruled out or it could become a possibility for you....
Attached Thumbnails
Grass Valley vs Paradise vs Solvang-img_2461.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento