Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 08:07 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times

Advertisements

I don't count being at the airport, being on the 5 or being in Roseville/Rocklin, which are my past experiences with the area, as really being in the city, but these past few days I got to walk around Midtown, Old Town and I drove around the metro to get something of a feel for the place.

(I also went to the Gold Country, but that is another story.)

I enjoyed it, especially eating outside at Tres Hermanas for lunch Wednesday. Nice and spicy.

I also went book hunting. The woman who runs the Book Collector on 24th, who was originally from San Francisco, told me that when she first came to Sac she wasn't that impressed with the city but now that more is happening there it is reminding her more of her hometown. To which I said, "We don't need another San Francisco", but she was nice about it anyway. My book wasn't there, but Time Tested got it for me in time before I had to leave.

A fair amount of grit, especially southeast of the Capitol (I parked at 20th and Q and walked to Time Tested to pick up my book) but no unsafe vibe.

On Friday, after getting my book, I drove the metro in order to empty my tank to take advantage of the cheap gas , but I wanted to see more of the city as well. Drove down 19th until it became Freeport (nice older smaller homes along that Blvd) and took it down to Meadowview, then made a left. Not as great but looked like suburbia gone redneck more than anything else but didn't turn down any side streets knowing the reputation the area has on here. After the street became Mack I took it to Franklin and made a left. Quite a bit grimmer looking, especially in that unincorporated county island area. Came back into the city, got to 12th Ave and made a right, which took me to 14th Ave and out to Power Inn (Oak Park was the name on the signs). Some nice houses and shade trees, by and large but lots of fences and barred windows. Got better once I passed 58th St. Then I turned left on Power Inn and headed to where it changed names to Howe and took to El Camino, then took a left and headed over to Rio Linda Blvd. Area took a rough turn at this point (coming into Del Paso Heights). I was really headed over to Rio Linda. I had heard Rush Limbaugh constantly poke fun at the area because of a caller from there he had on his program that demonstrated lack of intelligence so wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Not much, really. Just large tracts of land with houses on them. The cashier at the McDonalds there seemed nice enough (stopped for a soda and a snack). Never felt in real danger at any time but then again my car is a silver Ford Crown Victoria so maybe people thought I was a cop (it has happened before).

The metro drive was done yesterday afternoon and after I just headed back to the hotel.

I have far from seen everything in the area so will have to return another time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 02:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
If you haven't taken the tour of the Capitol, you haven't been to Sacramento. Hurry back!

Old 02-17-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
If you haven't taken the tour of the Capitol, you haven't been to Sacramento. Hurry back!
Saw it, but didn't go inside. School group there that day.......

Old 02-17-2016, 10:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Sounds like you spent most of your time driving around the ghetto

Old 02-18-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Sounds like you spent most of your time driving around the ghetto
No, just part of the one day. The rest of the time I was either around the Capitol, in Old Town, in Midtown, at my hotel (just north of midtown), or in the Gold Country.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:28 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Next time you're in town and book hunting, try Beers Books on 9th & S, Time Tested Books on 21st and K, and Richard L. Press Scholarly Books on the Arts at 19th & F. And if you get back up to Rio Linda, try Bowinkle's burger stand--they do a 1-pound "Rush Limbaugh" burger that's a heart attack between two buns!

Old 02-20-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Next time you're in town and book hunting, try Beers Books on 9th & S, Time Tested Books on 21st and K, and Richard L. Press Scholarly Books on the Arts at 19th & F. And if you get back up to Rio Linda, try Bowinkle's burger stand--they do a 1-pound "Rush Limbaugh" burger that's a heart attack between two buns!
Thanks, w! As mentioned above, Time Tested was the place where I got my book!

Went to Richard L Press's but, as you mentioned, it was mostly art books, which are not my thing.

But I will look into Beers next time.

Thanks for the tip in Rio Linda! Apparently somebody there has a good sense of humor!

Old 02-22-2016, 11:05 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
I went to Beer's book for the first time a few months ago. I enjoyed it, although it really wasnt what I was expecting. Books are cheaper than new, but still not that cheap. Average price $7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento