Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:22 PM

490 posts, read 837,302 times

Advertisements

Not sure how that is condescending. Someone who is has been with the state all or most of their career may be likely to be of his mindset. Nothing good or bad about it. Just different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 02:01 PM

276 posts, read 364,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
I'm thinking it's a different paradigm and you're not used to it.. perhaps you've been a lifer at state and that's where this is coming from.
Public sector work is different and YOU are not used to it.

I have seen both sides - approximately equal time in private sector and with the State. Privileges come with longevity - both as a State employee and with a particular agency. Six months on probation doesn't tell a supervisor what they need for long-term trust.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:07 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,855 times
Most of this post comes across as whining. You act ad if there aren't a-whole bosses in the private sector who'd deny you telework after 6 mo. There are a LOT of sups in the private sector who will do that and much worse, as in "eh, we're going to need to in this weekend, again". Or screaming at you, or screwing you out of commission. I've seen all of the above. Yes, public sector sups often are idiots who like to baby and micromanage, but at least they cannot mistreat you in afore mentioned manner.

Your complaint is kinda ridiculous. I had a 1.5 hr commute each way when I started my state job and did not have immediate telework privileges. It came after a year or two. Do what everyone else does and suck it up r find another job. You don't need "hardship" or some other state worker BS to fix your situation. It's ironic that you're comparing state to private and then looking to basically game the system. I did my commute for 2.5 yrs before I eventually transferred. Most people would just do the same without looking for an ultra complicated exit strategy.

Last edited by sacite; 06-22-2016 at 10:28 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 10:43 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,877,818 times
Hear Hear! Someone who is already looking to bail after just six months doesn't have a clue. People don't have a true mastery of their jobs and their offices for at least a year. I've found that to be true in almost every job I've had - until you've been through an entire annual cycle in a new job/office/employer, you can't claim to know everything. To sit there and come up with all this subterfuge to get out of a job is silly, and any boss worth his or her salt will have sensed this newbie is already walking the plank.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:02 PM

490 posts, read 837,302 times
Reading too much into things that were never stated nor implied I guess is something one cannot control. Some folks may have a tendency to do that more than others when something said touches a nerve for whatever reason.

For example, words like "subterfuge" or phrases like "game the system" imply deceit. Not sure how you would read anything I wrote and even reach the conclusion that that is my intent. It's truly baffling how people's reading comprehension can be so different from person to person.

I was looking for answers to my questions, not your personal assessments of the situation or unflattering characterizations of my motives.

Everyone's threshold for what is acceptable and not acceptable to them in terms of a job arrangement is a personal thing, based on their age, where they are in life and other reasons.

If I want a job that enables me to work a AWW of 4/40 and also telework 1 day a week, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If I expected it to happen after 6 months probation ended, that's my expectation and there's no reason to get your panties in a bunch over it and take it personally and resort to personal attacks.

Perhaps the impression that I'm trying to do something not above board comes from my asking about whether my employer will receive notification when I'm applying for other jobs. Even in that case, I see nothing wrong with my preference that they employers are not notified until an offer is about to be made. It's frankly none of their business until it's time for me to make a decision and I need to notify them and give them a heads up.

If I come to the realization that the current position is not going to enable me to meet my professional and personal requirements and that only became apparent during the 6-month probation and shortly after it ended, I see nothing wrong with that. When you realize you're not on the right train, you should get off at the next possible stop and get on the right train. That is not the say that I will definitely leave before my 1 year anniversary. I may still opt to stay at least that long because the team invested 4 months into training me and I may want to deliver on one or two projects in return.

As a side note, I was told that even during probation people can still interview for other positions within the state and be offered other positions, and that has been done before. Is that circumventing the system? If there was a problem with it on the employer's part, they should probably change things so that this isn't permissible.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread was for information gathering so that I can take answers into consideration as I make a decision about my future (and thanks to those who kindly shared information without making unsolicited judgments or character attacks).

Last edited by ecsdude; 06-23-2016 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 06:19 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,877,818 times
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with my preference that they employers are not notified until an offer is about to be made. It's frankly none of their business until it's time for me to make a decision and I need to notify them and give them a heads up.
OMG!

Leaving all the other drama aside, how in blazes can you expect to keep your employer in the dark on such an important event, especially if you are transferring? It is absolutely their business to know if someone might be leaving. My employer mandates that I get my supervisor's written signature on the transfer request form.

Besides, it is the duty of interviewing agency to contact your current employer and get a reference. They would be very interested to know that someone's trying to bail after just six months. I certainly wouldn't want to take a risk on someone like that, and the extensive amount of verbose defensiveness which you have exhibited in this thread would make me absolutely not want to hire you.

Good luck - you'll need it. Time to hit the "ignore" button!

Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,855 times
Quote:
Reading too much into things that were never stated nor implied I guess is something one cannot control. Some folks may have a tendency to do that more than others when something said touches a nerve for whatever reason.

For example, words like "subterfuge" or phrases like "game the system" imply deceit. Not sure how you would read anything I wrote and even reach the conclusion that that is my intent. It's truly baffling how people's reading comprehension can be so different from person to person.

I was looking for answers to my questions, not your personal assessments of the situation or unflattering characterizations of my motives.

Everyone's threshold for what is acceptable and not acceptable to them in terms of a job arrangement is a personal thing, based on their age, where they are in life and other reasons.

If I want a job that enables me to work a AWW of 4/40 and also telework 1 day a week, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If I expected it to happen after 6 months probation ended, that's my expectation and there's no reason to get your panties in a bunch over it and take it personally and resort to personal attacks.

Perhaps the impression that I'm trying to do something not above board comes from my asking about whether my employer will receive notification when I'm applying for other jobs. Even in that case, I see nothing wrong with my preference that they employers are not notified until an offer is about to be made. It's frankly none of their business until it's time for me to make a decision and I need to notify them and give them a heads up.

If I come to the realization that the current position is not going to enable me to meet my professional and personal requirements and that only became apparent during the 6-month probation and shortly after it ended, I see nothing wrong with that. When you realize you're not on the right train, you should get off at the next possible stop and get on the right train. That is not the say that I will definitely leave before my 1 year anniversary. I may still opt to stay at least that long because the team invested 4 months into training me and I may want to deliver on one or two projects in return.

As a side note, I was told that even during probation people can still interview for other positions within the state and be offered other positions, and that has been done before. Is that circumventing the system? If there was a problem with it on the employer's part, they should probably change things so that this isn't permissible.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread was for information gathering so that I can take answers into consideration as I make a decision about my future (and thanks to those who kindly shared information without making unsolicited judgments or character attacks).
No one is judging you at all for feeling like this isn't the right fit or wanting to leave. Even the state employers themselves are fine with immediate transfers to other departments. For whatever reason they do not judge that decision negatively and most times even encourage it.

And last, no one is judging you for expectng an AWS or a telework day. At all.

What people are judging is your attitude towards not getting exactly what you want immediately or contemplating some "Hardship" BS because of your commute. I get that you said there are other factors to that but cmon, those factors were at least known when you signed on 6 mo ago. An adult would just ask his employer what he has to do to earn said privileges and how long it will take. But you want to bail and are looking for an excuse to do so. Probably better to just admit that to yourself and find a better fit somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: