U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:37 AM

5,239 posts, read 5,562,001 times

Advertisements

Hey Moddedintergra56,
I was going to respond to your direct message, but it got lengthy so I'll just post here.

Hello Sir,
Sorry I don't know much about that particular area from your link.

I have friends who are very happy in Elk Grove; they have 3 kids that go to private schools.

I have a retired co-worker/friend who bought 8 years ago in the nicest part of Elk Grove (according to her) and they still like it there. They sold there Napa Valley property to buy in Elk Grove!

A Lesbian couple that I used work for bought brand new in Laguna/South Sac about 3 years ago, but now they rent it out and they live off the Garden Hwy/Sacto River Area.

My friends niece lives in the Pocket Area of South Sac. She is very happy there.

My husbands best friend moved from Elk Grove to Rancho Cordova to a much bigger home. They like both areas. Rancho, now because of bigger house.

All anecdotal but that's all I know, Good Luck!

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-29-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 11:38 AM

Stockton really has little to do with Sacramento. Stockton has been a Bay Area exurb for almost 25 years now, back in the day, when Stockton was a very clean, half the size, central valley town, and when Elk Grove was a tiny dot, and South Sacramento stopped at Florin Road, and when Laguna didn't even exist; old timers tell me they were more related, but that was then, this is now.

The weird thing is that the Sacramento Media Market has always included Stockton so that is why Sacramento has this connection with Stockton, and Sacramento News covers Stockton so much better than Bay Area News.

Bay Area News focuses on how horrible Stockton is, Sac News covers the good and bad of Stockton. I always thought Sac and Stockton were connected but really that is just because of Sac's New coverage. I started to get to know Stockton a little better because a Sac friend of mine moved to Stockton for a couple of years (he's back in Sac now) but while he was there I came to find out how much Stockton relates to the Bay Area more than Sac which surprised me. Way back then I realized Stockton was another Oakland/Hayward but 60 miles east.

Stockton has 3 to 4 times that amount of folks who commute to the Bay Area over Sac, and if you ask someone from Stockton if they are from or part of the Bay Area they will tell you, Yes! If you ask someone from Sacramento or Elk Grove ...is Sac/EG is part of the Bay Area they will definitely say, No!

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-29-2019 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-29-2019, 11:58 AM

288 posts, read 258,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Hey Moddedintergra56,
I was going to respond to your direct message, but it got lengthy so I'll just post here.

Hello Sir,
Sorry I don't know much about that particular area from your link.

I have friends who are very happy in Elk Grove; they have 3 kids that go to private schools.

I have a retired co-worker/friend who bought 8 years ago in the nicest part of Elk Grove (according to her) and they still like it there.

A Lesbian couple that I used work for bought brand new in Laguna/South Sac about 3 years ago, but now they rent it out and they live off the Garden Hwy/Sacto River Area.

My friends niece lives in the Pocket Area of South Sac. She is very happy there.

My husbands best friend moved from Elk Grove to Rancho Cordova to a much bigger home. They like both areas. Rancho, now because of bigger house.

All anecdotal but that's all I know, Good Luck!
thanks, i msged you because i know you were in the know with the sac region with our past back and forth.

is it true elk grove gets the delta breeze where as roseville/rocklin does not?

i did look into rancho cordova but there is a 50/50 split opinion on the rendering plant smell and all the new homes are closer to it so thats a factor. Also schools are important and EG seems to have one of the top rated school districts in the sac area so rancho was already scratched out despite being able to get more home for the money, the schools are important.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:59 AM

Elk Grove demographics:

Rounding up/down:

White 35%
Asian 30% -- this makes it like the South Bay and Apple has operations in El Grove.
Hispanic 20%
Black 10%
Other: 5%

Elk Grove is Very diverse and more integrated than the Bay Area and Los Angeles.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:01 PM

288 posts, read 258,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Elk Grove demographics:

Rounding up/down:

White 35%
Asian 30% -- this makes it like the South Bay and Apple has operations in El Grove.
Hispanic 20%
Black 10%
Other: 5%

Elk Grove is Very diverse and more integrated than the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
white flight? i guess the demographics i looked at were older, i swear last ones i saw had closer to 50% white, and hispanic closer to 15%

Old 03-29-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post

is it true elk grove gets the delta breeze where as roseville/rocklin does not?

i did look into rancho cordova but there is a 50/50 split opinion on the rendering plant smell and all the new homes are closer to it so thats a factor. Also schools are important and EG seems to have one of the top rated school districts in the sac area so rancho was already scratched out despite being able to get more home for the money, the schools are important.
First off, the whole Sacramento Area is definitely COOLER than the rest of the Central Valley both south of us and north of us.

Yes, South Sacramento/Elk Grove/Lauguna/Galt/ gets the Delta Breeze stronger and more consistent and earlier in the evening than Roseville/Rocklin.

Yes, people like Elk Grove more than Rancho because of the schools. Asians are big on good schools and Elk grove is big on Asians. Elk Grove is NOT the Stockton of the future. (And I hear Stockton has been improving).

I actually know the guy that owns the rendering plant in Rancho ( his family owned it, but I think his family sold it, I'm not sure, we never talk about that, lol). That rendering plant was there decades before there were any homes any where near it. My friend lives within the smelling zone of the plant, they got used to it, I can't stand it.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-29-2019 at 12:34 PM..

Old 03-29-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
white flight? i guess the demographics i looked at were older, i swear last ones i saw had closer to 50% white, and hispanic closer to 15%
This not the midwest or east, nor 50-75 years ago, white flight is less of a thing. Besides, whatever asians, blacks, and/or races, creeds, or mixtures are replacing the whites are better off economically or they would not be able to afford those homes in Elk Grove, and we are more integrated.

I wouldn't worry about it. Hispanics are great at keeping homes in good condition, they do the work themselves. Asians are educated, and monied. Blacks are better off economically and more educated. The neighborhood I live in Sacramento is right in the middle class and it is spread out between whites, hispanics, blacks, asians, gays, straights, old, young, very much integrated. Home values have steadily gone up 4 times since I bought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or