Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 687 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have recently brought a home in Elk Grove around the Auto Mall Area.

I'm interested to plant 4-in-1 Apple Plants, 4-in-1 Cherry Plants and Sweet Guava Plants in my backyard.

The builder is not sure about planting tree rules. But they said, I need to get approval from Elk Grove City Council.

My questions :

1] Is it true that, for planting trees and plants, I need to get approval from Elk Grove City Council. ?

2] Where to get 4-in-1 Apple Plants, 4-in-1 Cherry Plants and Sweet Guava Plants in Elk Grove ? Is there any body aware of those tree and is there any nursery available in Elk Grove city to get those tree ?

Please help and advise.

Regards,
Ramesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 10:32 PM

136 posts, read 210,272 times
I can't imagine you'd need approval to plant fruit trees on your property from a city council. If you're part of an HOA then I'd check on those rules first.

Secondly, you've missed planting season for stone fruit trees (Jan-April) and you face much higher risk of your trees dying by planting in summer heat. Also 4 in 1 grafted trees require the most expertise and care, so I wouldn't choose those as a first attempt at developing a green thumb.

Green Acres Nursery is one of the larger and more acclaimed nursery chains in Sacramento and they have an Elk Grove store. I'd be surprised if they were still selling any stone fruit trees this late in the season, however. You could probably find something at a Lowes/Home Depot but likely not a 4 in 1 tree.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:06 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,825,549 times
I'm going to disagree with much of what was written above.

Bare root trees need to be planted while dormant, but if it's in a pot, you can plant it now. Just don't do it on a really hot day to minimize stress on the tree. Many of the potted trees we have bought were in paper pots, meant to be planted in the ground, pot and all. You just dig a hole, slit the pot all around its perimeter, stick the pot in the ground and fill in the hole.

Most important thing for a Cherry tree is to paint the trunk with Frazee tree trunk paint or even just white house paint. Cherry trees trunks are susceptible to sunburn.

I'd also say that a grafted cherry is going to be put on a pretty hardy root stock, so if anything, it's going to be hardier than a non-grafted cherry. Most nurseries carry grafted trees from Dave Wilson's Nursery, so I would think they'd be easy to find pretty much year round. I've got a five-in-one Pluot from Dave Wilson's Nursery and growing it was pretty much idiot-proof.

If you want to talk to experts, join the local chapter of the CRFG (California Rare Fruit Growers).

Old 06-23-2016, 05:59 PM

251 posts, read 373,192 times
Read through you CC&R's and HOA docs about planting. Are you trying to plant in the front or backyard?

Check out Green Acre's to see if they offer the 4-in-1
Green Acres Nursery & Supply | Green Acres Nursery & Supply Elk Grove - Green Acres Nursery & Supply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento