Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:25 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,265,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

Chimerique, you're absolutely wrong about what you think I don't want to see downtown. I want people from Folsom or Roseville to move downtown and live here because they want to live in a city environment, not those who want to live in a sterilized, suburban environment that happens to be downtown. And my post about New York City in the 1970s should have clarified that Wizz's claim that nobody lived there (or lives in downtown Sacramento now) except for "strung out bums" is patently false--he's just plain factually wrong, or he considers artists, musicians and other creative people who don't have to be rich to be in the category of "strung out bums." In which case, then the "strung out bums" he's talking about are not pets, but rather my friends, my neighbors, and myself. And it sounds like you don't think that we are as "attractive" or "desirable" as people from the suburbs--so, by definition, you are defining myself and other current central city residents as ugly and undesirable. Why should anyone show any respect to someone who dismisses and insults them?
I don't believe you when you say you do want people from Folsom and Roseville living downtown because you know a lot them want a "sterilized" environment as you call it. You are just proving how you discriminate against people you don't like or that you don't agree with. You are also stereotyping 2/3 of the population of metro Sacramento by saying suburban folks do not have artists, musicians, and creative people; that's bogus.

You want the central city to yourself and others that think and act like you. If they don't fit your mold then you don't want them in the central city. You oppose any project that appears to attract the people you don't like.

You are projecting when you say I don't think people like you are "attractive" or "desirable"; you are projecting your own feelings, judgement and disdain for people who don't fit your idea of the kind of people who deserve to live in the central city. You are projecting your own feelings, judgement and disdain for people you don't like. It's insulting and disrespectful when you distort my words and message, or when you distort what others say. You try to win arguments by attacking someone's character and distorting what they say, instead of arguing the points and issues at hand.

Last edited by Chimérique; 10-25-2016 at 11:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 02:06 AM

I went to the home opener tonight of the Sacramento Kings at the Golden 1 Center. It was sold out, very festive night, great atmosphere, street life was vibrant.

Four-car light rail trains were completely full. People starting using the light to go the game as early as 2 hours before start time. People who have never taken any kind of big-city public transportation are using light rail and they are happy to use it.

Finally, light rail has a major destination that involves a major high-end large entertainment venue, shopping, hotels, restaurants, bars, and HOUSING in one general area. Anti-Arena people sued and sued, agitated, lied, and obstructed this project and they will do it again the next time we want to build another project. Don't let them fool you.

4-6 years ago all the Arena Naysayers and Anti-Arena, anti-everything agitators were mouthing off about how nobody would use Light rail and they said it would be a traffic nightmare. Neither were true.

There have been 3 Kings games, and 3 major concerts thus far, all sold out. There have been NO major traffic problems. The naysayers lied. All those frivolous lawsuits tried to prevent the Arena. I am so glad they did not prevail.

These naysayers sued and cost you, the taxpayer, and the city millions in dollars based on lies and stupidity.

Regional Transit and the Sacramento Kings organization has done an excellent job in promoting public transit use and educated folks on the many many options you have for parking. Just about every single large building downtown has a garage and you can park in it from $8-$20 all night.

The fact that these garages are spread out in the city grid makes it easier on the dispersal of traffic.

People are saying, "Wow, parking downtown, is better than parking in that Giant sea of a parking lot at the old Arena in Natomas.

Arena supporters have been saying this for the last 10 years.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:08 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,210 times
I'm glad people are using light rail instead of clogging up the streets. It should be effective in getting the word out that light rail isnt dangerous and dirty.

This is probably far down the list that needs to be done around the arena (more housing, clean up streets/abandoned buildings/etc) but the light rail stations, at least near the arena, probably should get some substantial upgrades. Maybe decking or completely covering the stops, more lighting and public art, encourage street vendors or something. From point to point riding light rail should be a great, fun, "experience"

Was not downtown at all last night, so I'm glad to hear it was a great experience. I'm sure the entire arena area will be much better when the hotel and K street apartments are done.

Any word on the Marriot next to the arena?

EDIT: Sorry it was a Hyatt hotel http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4233663.html

Old 10-28-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post

This is probably far down the list that needs to be done around the arena (more housing, clean up streets/abandoned buildings/etc) but the light rail stations, at least near the arena, probably should get some substantial upgrades. Maybe decking or completely covering the stops, more lighting and public art, encourage street vendors or something. From point to point riding light rail should be a great, fun, "experience"
RT completely upgraded the 7th and Capitol Station, almost the entire block is covered to protect you from the sun and rain. It is well-lite, large n tall, with big letter signage. The machines are still funky but it is the best they can do with limited funds.

Large, tall, well-lite, big letter signage has gone up at 8th and K Street stations, and 9th and K Street stations as well, but....Overall, our stations are the ugliest I've ever seen in the nation. The color scheme and LOOK is inconsistent. Poor quality materials are used. Signage is practically useless because the signs are so small and most importantly the LETTERING is too small and barely readable. The color scheme that supposedly is the trademark colors of RT: A very ugly Blue, White and Yellow is not used consistently at each station. Often you will see the ugliest army green paint used as well.....probably some NIMBY Naysayer insisted on "Green" because it is politically correct. RT's electronic signage is cheap looking and it's display of train times is confusing but at least we have electronic signage(for years there was no electronic signage).

The LA Metro is the Gold Standard for highly visible, well-lite, big letter Signage, consistent use of the same color scheme along with the same trademark look of the LA Metro. They manage to make every station consistent in LOOK with excellent Signage while at the same time making each station unique with art that reflects respective city neighborhoods in LA. Their stations use high quality durable materials as well. LA Metro stations and signs are highly identifiable with a certain look similar to how the NYC subway is highly recognizable.

Good news, the Kings is giving money to RT to keep it clean and employ security and encourage people to pay instead of freeloading. Good news , the RT app is very useful, and the SacPark app is very useful.

Arena supporters have been saying this for 10 years. People will walk, ride their bike, ride light rail, and use the dozens of parking garages....traffic and parking will not be a disaster.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:31 PM

I wish we would adequately fund public transit without needing the stupid 2/3's ballot measures that will never pass. At least Sacramento isnt really to blame for that, Steinberg needs to push the CA legislature to change the constitution on requiring a public vote to pass taxes. Other than that, I don't know what Sacramento can do besides lobbying for state or federal funding. LA is lucky they probably passed their 1 cent tax decades ago when the public wasnt so anti-tax or before the state changed their constitution requiring taxes to have a public vote.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:46 PM

276 posts, read 365,079 times
Quote:
Steinberg needs to push the CA legislature to change the constitution on requiring a public vote to pass taxes.

The Legislature can do nothing about this issue because the people voted to give the power to themselves. It would take a state-wide vote to overturn it.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
The Legislature can do nothing about this issue because the people voted to give the power to themselves. It would take a state-wide vote to overturn it.
There are creative things the legislature can do such as challenge it in court, stating something like tax payers withholding funds from public transportation disenfranchises the poor and disabled.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:19 PM

276 posts, read 365,079 times
Quote:
There are creative things the legislature can do such as challenge it in court, stating something like tax payers withholding funds from public transportation disenfranchises the poor and disabled.
Do you really think the courts would accept a challenge to a 40-year-old law that has withstood numerous other challenges and been found constitutional?

Old 10-28-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
Do you really think the courts would accept a challenge to a 40-year-old law that has withstood numerous other challenges and been found constitutional?
What other choice do we have than try? RT isnt going to improve significant without better funding.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
This is how LA built, and is currently building one the best public rail transit systems in the country. Measure R passed in 2009, and now Measure M hopefully will pass. See links.

This year light rail lines opened to connect Montclair, Pasadena, East LA, Downtown, USC, LA Coliseum, North Hollywood with the Beach/Westside/Santa Monica(Expo Line) ends one block from the Santa Monica Pier. New light rail lines are under construction(Crenshaw Line) linking LAX to the rest of the system. New Subway routes are under construction downtown (Central Connector). And a continuation of a Subway route through the Westside(Purple Line)

https://www.metro.net/projects/

Light rail extension to West Hollywood might happen much sooner than planned - Curbed LA

https://www.metro.net/projects/

If they can do it we can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento