Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,205 times

Advertisements

Hey - any insight/advice would be appreciated!

Husband is being flown up to Sac to discuss relocating there from SoCal. I want to be as close to his job as possible because he works long unpredictable hours, I have a medical condition & a young son. That being said the safer the area the better, within walking distance to an elementry school. We've lived in some rough areas -- he is from Fontana, CA and I have lived all over Califorina. It's been a hella long time since I have been to NorCal though! Anyways his job is in "north" sac?? I believe off National drive. He has commuted up to an hr and lived through the nightmare that is the 15/91 fwy right now but an 1hr is our max. I'd like to cut that down BIG time to 15-20min. A 2bedroom apartment around $1k would be best. As for our lifestyle -- my son is super social and extroverted, I am introverted and ride horses + enjoy the farm life. My husband comes from an area known for poverty & thug life so he feels weird around rich white people. :P What areas would you suggest? Don't care about bars or restraunts or Walmarts, just good schools and diverse nieghborhoods that I can walk through without being bothered by crack heads --- where I live right now is pretty bad so I am kind of excited to get out. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 11:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWhisper View Post
Hey - any insight/advice would be appreciated!

Husband is being flown up to Sac to discuss relocating there from SoCal. I want to be as close to his job as possible because he works long unpredictable hours, I have a medical condition & a young son. That being said the safer the area the better, within walking distance to an elementry school. We've lived in some rough areas -- he is from Fontana, CA and I have lived all over Califorina. It's been a hella long time since I have been to NorCal though! Anyways his job is in "north" sac?? I believe off National drive. He has commuted up to an hr and lived through the nightmare that is the 15/91 fwy right now but an 1hr is our max. I'd like to cut that down BIG time to 15-20min. A 2bedroom apartment around $1k would be best. As for our lifestyle -- my son is super social and extroverted, I am introverted and ride horses + enjoy the farm life. My husband comes from an area known for poverty & thug life so he feels weird around rich white people. :P What areas would you suggest? Don't care about bars or restraunts or Walmarts, just good schools and diverse nieghborhoods that I can walk through without being bothered by crack heads --- where I live right now is pretty bad so I am kind of excited to get out. lol
National Drive is in North Natomas. That's a nice area but I think a 2 bdrm apt there would probably run you around $1500. South Natomas tends to be cheaper but the area near West El Camino looks sort of 'sketchy'. You might find cheaper apartments in Arden Arcade, Carmichael or Fair Oaks. (I would avoid Rio Linda and North Highlands) As far as schools, I really can't help you there but usually the better schools are in the higher priced areas.

Good luck! There are plenty people on these forums who know more than I do about the area and I'm sure they will have some suggestions

Old 08-18-2016, 11:50 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,455,557 times
I think you'd like both North and South Natomas. South Natomas is older (1980's?), a bit less expensive, lots of schools, parks, walking areas. I used to live there and liked it. There are LOTS of large apartment complexes--on the plus side, each complex has its own amenities--multiple pools, gyms, handball courts, etc. On the minus side, you can't choose your neighbors, so noise can be a problem. There seemed to be a bit more theft there than in other parts of town, but that's probably normal with multiple complexes where people don't really know their neighbors.

Going the other direction from North Natomas (north, north-east) there's Robla, Rio Linda, Elverta, and Del Paso Heights. Lots of rural homes, horse properties in the first three. DPH used to be pretty bad but there's lots of new housing now and it looked much nicer the last time I was there.

If you're looking at "north area"--Arden Arcade, Carmichael, etc. the commute choices are either I-80 to I-5 or taking El Camino or Arden from the north area to Natomas.
There's a website where you can look at the ratings for all the schools (you'd have to google it, I don't know the address.) Natomas School District. Rio Linda and Elverta are in Rio Linda District, DPH is the Grant School District.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:13 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,848 times
When I first moved to Sacramento 12+ years ago, my office was located in South Natomas off of Northgate and I-80. Since I wanted to be as close to work as possible, I found a nice 2 bed/2 bath apartment nearby in Robla at the corner of Norwood and Bell Avenues, 3 blocks north of I-80. This apartment community is called Morningside Creek and is composed of two complexes on the NE and SE corners of Norwood and Bell.

I lived there for just over 3 years and found the management to be top notch, which made for a pleasant living environment. Each unit also has a washer and dryer. Robla is more of a transitional neighborhood with a mix of rural residential properties, suburban tract homes and multi-family housing. There's a shopping center on the corner of Norwood and Jessie that has a Viva Supermarket and Rite Aid drug store. There is an elementary and a middle school within walking distance. Although the neighborhood can be a mixed bag at times, it's better than Del Paso Heights located south of I-80. However, it's worth checking into.

Morningside Creek Rentals - Sacramento, CA | Apartments.com

Old 08-18-2016, 01:39 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
North Natomas sounds like it will offer what you are looking for. It isn't the most walkable place but is geographically convenient to workplace and school, the neighborhood is all very new, not too expensive and not too dangerous. It's also relatively close (a short drive) to some of the still-rural parts of Sacramento County, like the little farm towns of Rio Linda and Elverta, where you can get your rural farm fix, and JB Ranch in Elverta offers horseback riding.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:58 PM

Thanks for all the responses! I noticed rent is a lot cheaper in North Highlands -- I hope I don't get stuck over there because this all happens so fast. $1500 for rent is tough to swallow when we're down to a single income. I'll have to research the schools...although my son is in a high rated school here and it seems so mehhh to me. All they do is work sheets! A few other questions popped up as well. I have a Texas Heeler who loves the dog park -- any good ones around?? Off leash areas? What about splash pads? Best parks to take the kid? I will post more as I think of them. I am pretty exhausted tonight. Another possibility is taking an RV out there until I decide where I want to settle. Are there any decent Rv resorts?

Old 08-18-2016, 11:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWhisper View Post
Thanks for all the responses! I noticed rent is a lot cheaper in North Highlands -- I hope I don't get stuck over there because this all happens so fast. $1500 for rent is tough to swallow when we're down to a single income. I'll have to research the schools...although my son is in a high rated school here and it seems so mehhh to me. All they do is work sheets! A few other questions popped up as well. I have a Texas Heeler who loves the dog park -- any good ones around?? Off leash areas? What about splash pads? Best parks to take the kid? I will post more as I think of them. I am pretty exhausted tonight. Another possibility is taking an RV out there until I decide where I want to settle. Are there any decent Rv resorts?
Be really careful about North Highlands, it is not a good area. What alarms me is that they have had more than a few home invasion robberies, in one of them an elderly man was killed and in another a woman was badly injured. That kind of crime is something you want to avoid at all costs.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:13 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
You may want to consider No Highland were it meets Antelope.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:08 PM

Okay - crossing North Highlands off! I rather be in the sticks then alone in a bad nieghborhood at night. Sorry for the late reply, I have been very sick!

I'm interested in the Folsom/Orangevale area after I ran into a guy from Sacramento & he recommended I look there. He says it's about 26min commute? Is that right? Husband is in Sacramento right now...eeeek!

Old 08-23-2016, 03:13 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,848 times
I would also recommend Folsom and Orangevale as well as Fair Oaks and Carmichael. But since you mentioned that your husband will be working in North Natomas, the commute times from those areas will be much longer (think 40 min to an hour). I think it would be better to look around in North Natomas or Robla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento