Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 17,386 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional that will be relocating to Northern Cali. I'm looking for something between San Fran and the Sacramento area. I'm coming from Western Mass (small town feel) and am looking for a dog friendly community. My job will require me to travel daily and fly to Portland and Seattle frequently so close proximity to an airport and highway is important. I'm looking for a nice town with reasonable rent prices ($1,200) and social scene. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not a city girl, parks and trails are important, being near a beach or lake and mountains would be nice. Vallejo has peaked my interest but I have not visited and am in the process of negotiating salary etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 PM

433 posts, read 2,355,724 times
I know nothing about dog-friendly communities. I think that is based individually on the landlord and the rental unit. You might have better luck renting a small home in that regard.

As far as airports, if you pick Vallejo, you would be using Oakland. Traffic would be bad most times. Seems to be plenty of flights out of SMF (Sacramento) to PDX and SEA. Better parking etc too. Maybe try Woodland, Dixon or Davis or find something in Sac itself. Vacaville would be an option too.

Hard to do the Bay Area and Sac. You usually have to lean one way or the other.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:46 PM

57 posts, read 237,502 times
I would agree that Sac would fit more of your requirements than SF. Especially rent prices. The Sac airport is a breeze compared to SFO or Oakland. Though, now that I'm married and completely suburban, if I were a young professional, single, I would find the teeniest apartment in SF and go for it. It is an awesome city! From shopping to night life to people....honestly, I'm charged every time I cross the Bay Bridge. My DH and I headed over every chance we got before we had kids. We love to dream through Neiman Marcus or Saks and then head on over to the piers for some fresh clam chowder in a still-warm-from-the-oven sourdough bread bowl. You can always move to the burbs.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:21 AM

380 posts, read 2,350,698 times
You might want to check out/post more questions in the Davis thread above. Since you're not a city girl, SF might not be your thing, but Davis could be a good fit. We're considering moving there (from Napa) for the public schools for our young daughter, but we also like the numerous restaurants/shops downtown, the greenbelts/parks, farmer's market, community activities, the fact that it's bike capitol of the world (or something like that ), and that it has the dynamics of a university town (not just college town, though it is that too) with arts/lectures, etc available. It's also close enough to Sacramento for other "city" things, though sadly too far from SF/Bay Area than we'd like (I'm more a city girl myself).

It's definitely dog friendly from what I've seen (well known for its vet school). We adopted our dog from a rescue there and IIRC met the foster mom and her numerous dogs at a huge offleash park near a cemetary. The city is right off Hwy 80 and easy access to Sacramento airport. Not close to the water like Vallejo but a lot safer.

Good luck!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:34 AM

380 posts, read 2,350,698 times
Well, Davis sure looks pretty dog-friendly to me now (they even list dog-friendly apt complexes): Dogs - Davis Wiki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento