Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 06:32 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,258,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Haha really, I am the one being defensive as you call us a "Cowtown" in the very same sentence? Oh, the irony. I embrace our cow style. I love it. To each his own.
Yeah, the Bay Area still doesn't know that we've embraced our cowtown image, and wear the term as a badge on honor. Bay aaaaahreans think they are insulting us in their smug little passive-aggressive ways when they drop that term in any conversation about Sacraemnto. But to Sacramentans, cowtown means we are humble, good-natured, open-minded, libertarian, friendly, which is the complete opposite of the Bay Area.

Some 20 years ago, LA Lakers fans and their coach made some nasty mean spirited comments about Sacramento being a cowtown at Kings-Lakers games so for the remainder of the season Sacramento Kings fans started bringing real cowbells to the games and used them as noise makers. From that point on, the cowbell became symbolic of Sacramento's Positive image. At the beginning of every Kings game they wheel out an enormous 6 foot tall, 500 pound working cowbell made of *Silver and *Gold and ring it before the game; it takes two or three people to ring it. Also, in the Kings locker room at the exit is a large cowbell for which players tap on their way out onto the basketball court.

*it may not actually be made of silver and gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 10:22 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I think that because I am an artist myself who plays out and listens to local live music. You seem to have a big problem accepting the way people feel and react to things when it does not match your perception of how they should feel.

Speaking of music, compare the number of open mics in Sac to SD, the number of art galleries. Hell, there's 20+ art galleries and open mics each in midtown alone. There's maybe 20 open mic venues in the entire city of SD, and you have to drive here there and everywhere to find them, then get into a car and drive to La Jolla to view some super pricy art. One is a big ticket city driven by Tourism, and that shows in the fiber of the community. The other is a Cowtown with working class people, artists, politicians, etc and that shows in the fiber of the community. Whether you like either depends entirely on what's important to you - and yes, that includes the ambiguous topic of "more to see and do".

The one thing that is clear is that you have no clue what you're talking about even when it comes to your own city.
Feel and react however you want but realize nobody thinks PB is the most artistic place in SD, literally nobody except you. Please go into the SD forum and ask if anyone thinks PB is the most artistic place in SD and see what people say. I lived in PB for 5 years, I know it a helluva a lot better than you ever will.

Yes please compare the number of art galleries. According to Yelp, not the best source but not sure what other site lists art galleries for specific areas, there are 262 in the East Village of Downtown San Diego alone versus 145 for Midtown Sacramento. Do an open mic search, I find 139 in East Village versus 105 in Midtown Sacramento. I know you think your perception is reality but for stuff like this you can find ways to quantify it and like with pretty much everything else Sac comes up short compared to SD.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:37 AM

Hey Sacit,
I'm originally from SD and I understand what you mean about PB's artistic nature.
So let's do the math provided by that Bay aaaarhea guy who is obsessed with Sacramento.

The City of SD City has nearly 3 times more people than the City of Sac; SD is 300% larger so you'd think it should have 3 times the art galleries, but it does not, rather it has only 50% more.

Using the numbers provided bay aaaaahrea poster:

SD - 242 art galleries
Sac - 145 art galleries

SD, 1,370,000 pop
Sac 475,000 pop

Art galleries per City population:
Sac - for every 3,275 citizens there is one art gallery
SD - for every 5,152 citizens there is one art gallery

Sacramento is more artistic You are right.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:44 PM

Sacramento has more distinctions between the seasons.

One of the features I like about Sacramento over San Diego is the Fall/Winter.

Sacramento's fall/winter is colder, wetter, foggier, windier, 3 times more rain storms, larger differences between daytime highs and early morning low temps.

This is reflective in clothing styles and options. It's appropriate to wear a heavy coat, and various different types of jackets and coats, and shoes. You are more likely to dress as if you were in Portland and Seattle than you would in San Diego or SoCal.

A walk in a Sacramento park is full with color, or a kayak ride on the American River is much different experience than in the summer.

For example, Thanksgiving Day 2016

Portland - 52 high; 47 low - Heavy Rain, a Cold rain, rain gear needed.

Sacramento - 57 high; 35 low - Cloudy all day, quite chilly at night, heavy coat or wool suite quite appropriate at night or in the morning.

San Diego - 77 high; 53 low - Sunny, this a typical summer day in SD except about 10 degrees colder at night. You basically could wear the same clothes you would wear in the summer, but you would add a sweater lightweight jacket for the evening. Shorts and short sleeves not uncommon. Same daily pattern on the coast all year long, marine layer moves in in evening, some clearing in the middle of the day, rainless, rinse repeat. A walk on the beach same experience as if in the summer.

During the day, it was 20 degrees colder in Sac than SD; Portland was 25 degrees colder than SD.

Sacramento was the coldest at night and in the early morning; Sac was 18 degrees colder than SD in the A.M.

Sacramento was full of color, leaves and piles of leaves, puddles of water from the last rain storm.

Portland same as Sacramento with even more standing water, and darker and shorter days.

San Diego, sunny just like in the middle of the summer, rainless, water-starved, dry, no colorful leaves.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-10-2016 at 04:06 PM..

Old 12-10-2016, 03:03 PM

181 posts, read 319,324 times
Chimérique, I certainly hope the City of Sacramento is paying you for your endless advocacy for it. It's always great to have a healthy dose of civic pride but you border on obsessed.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Hey Sacit,
I'm originally from SD and I understand what you mean about PB's artistic nature.
So let's do the math provided by that Bay aaaarhea guy who is obsessed with Sacramento.

The City of SD City has nearly 3 times more people than the City of Sac; SD is 300% larger so you'd think it should have 3 times the art galleries, but it does not, rather it has only 50% more.

Using the numbers provided bay aaaaahrea poster:

SD - 242 art galleries
Sac - 145 art galleries

SD, 1,370,000 pop
Sac 475,000 pop

Art galleries per City population:
Sac - for every 3,275 citizens there is one art gallery
SD - for every 5,152 citizens there is one art gallery

Sacramento is more artistic You are right.
Read my post again, those numbers are for specific neighborhoods so not sure why you would compare that to the entire city population as a whole as that makes no sense.

But please elaborate on PB's artistic nature....

9 art districts listed in San Diego, notice how PB is not one of them:
https://www.sandiego.org/campaigns/district-arts.aspx

Last edited by sav858; 12-11-2016 at 02:44 AM..

Old 12-11-2016, 02:48 AM

Where is govt/cow-town Sac? lol

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Social Climbers: 5 Best Up-and-Coming Cities for Art and Culture

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:33 AM..

Old 12-11-2016, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

The Bay Area thing works two ways--in some cases, Bay Area people are moving here as they are priced out of the Bay Area, but people who previously would have moved to the Bay Area (in search of its greater opportunities for creative occupations) are more likely to stay here and do creative things in Sacramento!
I've noticed this too. Had lunch with my 25 year nephew and his friends, most of this group are from El Dorado Hills and most went to various colleges throughout California, some stayed local, SacState and UC Davis, others went to Bay Area Colleges and SoCal colleges. They all want to move back and settle in the Sac area or already have done so.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:43 AM

SACRAMENTO ART HOTEL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2afGwL0UHaM

Old 12-11-2016, 05:53 AM

916 SACRAMENTO ART HOTEL

Small example of the Art Scene in Sacramento, it's organic, "underground"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIkVmsCKjPw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento