Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:37 PM

318 posts, read 337,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner142 View Post
First time poster / commenter here, long time reader and feel compelled to weigh in on Sacramento. I recently moved to Sacramento from Chicago and could not be happier with my choice. I was born and raised in the city, worked downtown Chicago, lived in Lincoln Park and generally loathed the thought of suburbs or a mid sized city or town. I visited Sac for the first time a number of years ago when a friend was transferred from Chicago here. I was blown away and beyond impressed and it felt like home. I especially like the burgeoning restaurant scene, just enough of an urban feel, proximity to the Bay Area, vineyards, skiing, and ease of access to culture etc. Coming from a very large metropolitan area, it took me a very short time to get used to people being friendly and just saying hello. To the original poster or anyone who is looking for what for some people might be considered the best of both worlds, Sacramento is a no brainer.
thank you, thats how i felt when I visited (it felt like home)

we had a flat downtown by the sheraton we were staying at. It was some light rain at the time, this dude helped us with our flat, played with my 8 month son and was really nice, he was like 50yr old said he lived all over but really liked it there, last place he lived was SF. I asked him why here, he said the women are better and the weather is better and he smiled.

Me and my wife are black so it was just real cool to see him having a convo and trying to get to know us with nothing wanted in return. Felt like I was back in Houston. You will be lucky to not get bumped into shopping down here in san jose and don't think about anyone holding a door or saying hello. They look at you like what are you doing here

Ive been applying to jobs and praying that I can get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 08:38 PM

Beaner142... what area are you living in how do you like it ?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 PM

I told my wife today , well its still a chance I move up here at a job vs getting a move up in sacramento.

Her reply was no she's not buying a home or living here, its not a matter if were moving to sac its just a matter of when it will happen.

Happy wife happy life

Old 01-17-2017, 11:01 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
thank you, thats how i felt when I visited (it felt like home)

we had a flat downtown by the sheraton we were staying at. It was some light rain at the time, this dude helped us with our flat, played with my 8 month son and was really nice, he was like 50yr old said he lived all over but really liked it there, last place he lived was SF. I asked him why here, he said the women are better and the weather is better and he smiled.

Me and my wife are black so it was just real cool to see him having a convo and trying to get to know us with nothing wanted in return. Felt like I was back in Houston. You will be lucky to not get bumped into shopping down here in san jose and don't think about anyone holding a door or saying hello. They look at you like what are you doing here

Well, unfortunately, San Jose is probably the least American metro area in the entire country due to the high number of the Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern and Mexican immigrants.

For such a populous metro area, there are very few white people and almost no black people (AKA multi-generational Americans).

In the absence of multi-generational Americans, you will observe and experience the lack of American cultural norms and customs.

For example, people in San Jose do not decorate for Christmas and think nothing of cutting you in line, bumping into you or slamming a door in your face. They also don't think anything of openly spewing racist vitriol because that's common in the Third World countries they hail from.

I was in Irvine, CA on Sunday night, which is the Southern California equivalent of San Jose, and I can't tell you how many times I got cut in line or bumped into. OMG!

Relative to San Jose, Sacramento has larger white and black populations, so it will feel more like the rest of the United States.

I think Sacramento will be a pleasant, welcome change for you and your family. BOL!

Old 01-19-2017, 01:11 PM

29 posts, read 28,189 times
Quote:

houstonview, make sure you somehow arrange with locals or rent PO Box address without the "PO Box" on it so that on your resume you have local Sacramento address and phone number. With the Internet age, there are many ways to do. Otherwise, the local employers will filter you out. It's very common practice that employers will not look at non-resident resume.

In case you get an interview, be ready to fly out here on a moment's notice. Employers usually don't even ask you about where you live or anything local because why would they if they think you are a local resident?

Don't pray! Make it happen! Good luck!

Old 01-19-2017, 01:33 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I am aware of this.

But we are talking people from the Bay that put down Sac.

It's always the same people, who have never lived there and probably won't, making off the wall comments about Sac.

People from LA don't do that. They might note it is the Capitol of the state, or the Kings rivalry with the Lakers some 15 years ago. But that is about it.

They would never call it a cowtown. The general perception in LA is that Sac is another populated large metro.
People from the Bay have put down Sac for decades. I grew up in the Bay during the 70s

My parents always made fun of Sac

But guess what? When we were there getting some RV repairs done for a week last Summer I liked it

Old 01-19-2017, 01:47 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
Precisely... Again, when I was in Sac 2 years ago it REALLY did not feel crowded at all compared to what we deal with here in Austin on a day to day basis..
Ok, I'll take your word for it.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:17 AM

I was talking to someone at my job about elk grove thats been living in the bay area for 10yrs now.

she said "how is it up there is it green anywhere" !!!???

are there things to do ???

-I'm convinced now that alot of people in the Bay just go off what they think or heard about this town years ago. or have never been.

-Update still havent found a job but in a contract currently anyway, jobs in my field usually pop up around the summer.

- I was sold on living near the city on the nice areas, but i'm opening up to Elk Grove because it is Diverse, which the wife has high on her list of needs

Old 03-02-2017, 01:57 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:
I

-I'm convinced now that alot of people in the Bay just go off what they think or heard about this town years ago. or have never been.
Generally speaking people from many parts of the Bay Area are ignorant to any specifics or details about the Sacramento Area and what's worse is they refuse to accept any positive opinions about Sacramento; its just in their blood, lol, they can't help themselves. It's a sort of sickness, lol, like how a deeply racist person can't ever accept other races as equal in any way to their own, lol.

Always keep that in mind when listening to opinions from folks from the Bay Area, the Coast, and SoCal.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:24 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
There's like 1 maybe 2 cities in the US that are like SF. New York, maybe Chi (a stretch). SF is a world of its own. To say Sac is not a "CA city" is a bit ridiculous.
I agree 100%. Sacramento is just as Californian as any other city in California. California is very diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento