Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 02:36 AM

660 posts, read 1,076,769 times

Advertisements

Came across a mention of city data today and I thought to myself "Why don't I frequent that forum anymore?" So I decided to check this place out again. Then I see this thread at the top of the page, and am quickly reminded why I quit on this place.

Thanks for the reminder, OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 02:41 AM

787 posts, read 637,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
Came across a mention of city data today and I thought to myself "Why don't I frequent that forum anymore?" So I decided to check this place out again. Then I see this thread at the top of the page, and am quickly reminded why I quit on this place.

heh, well don't stop there, by all means elaborate.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:13 AM

258 posts, read 287,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Do you still feel whites are discriminated against when it comes to employment? In Sacramento at least?
In some ways, yes, I still do. And it's more than just myself I'm trying to take account for. A friend of mine of near 4 years (also a white guy on the spectrum) is having just as difficult a time as I have trying to find a job. While I am aware of the fact that some job positions, white men have advantages, the argument that this thread is trying to make is that GETTING INTO the job market (read: starting at entry level positions and moving up and up) is much harder for whites, particularly white males, than it is for others. And while I'm also aware of the barriers women and P.O.C., etc., have in terms of their employment, I'm also aware of the fact that with them, they at least can GET INTO WORK to BEGIN WITH, while white guys like me and my friend (plus the many other white guys out there who have yet to get a B.A. assuming we don't go into debt) are left out on the street to rot so to speak, and our only hope is either asking for money, etc., from families, or else suffering in silence.

That is what the point of this thread is. I'm wondering why I can't START work in Sacramento AT THE BOTTOM, and my theory is that since there are so many women and minorities working the jobs that are ACCESSIBLE to me, then Sacramento must have a problem with allowing white men into the workforce unless they're special (read: have a degree).

Old 02-04-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post

Are you implying that I'm a racist? Because if you are, then you're way off. By all means, I want to see others get along as well, including women, P.O.C., etc., but the point I'm trying to make in this thread is why I MYSELF can't get ahead. My reasoning lies in the previous comment.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:28 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,318,559 times
OP,

Honestly, you are what is wrong with America. Full of excuses and crying. Pointing fingers everywhere except yourself. If you can not get a job...its on YOU. That is what is great about USA. You determine your life, you control your destiny. Stop crying about everyone else fault but not me....Not me.

It's sad when I see immigrants who come to this country with nothing but the clothes on his back and a 5th grade education and now is making millions of dollars. People who can barely speak English now owning or running businesses and very successful.

You know what is the difference between successfully people and people like you? Pointing fingers and crying! It doesn't get you anywhere. If an immigrant who who doesn't even have a HS diploma and speaks broken English can succeed in America, what's your excuse? Yeah, that's the problem. Excuses!

Old 02-05-2017, 05:59 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,023,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
OP,

Honestly, you are what is wrong with America. Full of excuses and crying. Pointing fingers everywhere except yourself. If you can not get a job...its on YOU.
Reminds me of a great joke by ... damn, what's his name? One of the redneck tour - the alcoholic (or at least that was his schtick). Ron ... WHITE. He was telling a story about him once doing his bit near an army base. He mentioned the base having 40,000 soldiers, and a very drunk woman in the audience shouted out that "everyone single one of them is a bad F**k". Ron replied "Every single one? After the first 39,900 didn't it occur to you that the problem might be you?"

If you find it impossible to get a job after looking and looking everywhere, you really think it's because you are white? You might want to re-evaluate that opinion.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,023,666 times
Something doesn't smell quite right here. You recently said that you "have experience in {these hotel jobs} and thus would be more likely to get re-hired in there."

But you more recently said, on this page, just up above, that you are trying to GET INTO the job market, starting out, at the very bottom.

You either have experience in the field, or you don't (i.e., you aren't "getting into" the market, you already have experience). It can't be both.

This is starting to smell like a hairy beast that lives under a bridge waiting for the Gruff brothers.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Something doesn't smell quite right here. You recently said that you "have experience in {these hotel jobs} and thus would be more likely to get re-hired in there."

But you more recently said, on this page, just up above, that you are trying to GET INTO the job market, starting out, at the very bottom.

You either have experience in the field, or you don't (i.e., you aren't "getting into" the market, you already have experience). It can't be both.

This is starting to smell like a hairy beast that lives under a bridge waiting for the Gruff brothers.
Yes, I do have experience. And I'm trying to get into the market. Get BACK into the job market.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
OP,

Honestly, you are what is wrong with America. Full of excuses and crying. Pointing fingers everywhere except yourself. If you can not get a job...its on YOU. That is what is great about USA. You determine your life, you control your destiny. Stop crying about everyone else fault but not me....Not me.

It's sad when I see immigrants who come to this country with nothing but the clothes on his back and a 5th grade education and now is making millions of dollars. People who can barely speak English now owning or running businesses and very successful.

You know what is the difference between successfully people and people like you? Pointing fingers and crying! It doesn't get you anywhere. If an immigrant who who doesn't even have a HS diploma and speaks broken English can succeed in America, what's your excuse? Yeah, that's the problem. Excuses!
And that idea is... how old now? That honestly sounds like something that was said 30 or so years ago. Back then it would be believable. But now?

Welcome to feudalism, America: How the 1 percent is systematically destroying the middle class - Salon.com

America, land of the (not-so) free, home of the (very) brave - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Sounds more like you are having less and LESS control of your destiny... to quote from the latter article,

"Many Americans hold that theirs is a land of opportunity, where anyone can grow rich off their own back and even, as Trump has proven, one day become president. The reality is a land of gross inopportunity and, with few exceptions, where you end up depends completely upon where you start in life."

Old 02-06-2017, 04:12 AM

13 posts, read 14,340 times
All else being equal (skills, attitudes, experience, etc), your race could certainly count against you in a minority-majority area. The fact is that a lot of hiring and promotion decisions (perhaps the majority) are made in pretty subjective ways, and people tend to favor those with whom they identify. If most of the hiring managers you deal with belong to a different ethnicity, there is a good chance that they will find another applicant that they favor a bit more. It isn't the only criterion, but it can play a significant role. As a white person, you may also be occasionally discriminated against by other white people. There are a lot of white people who are either so afraid of being perceived as discriminatory, or else are so in love with the idea of helping "underprivileged" minorities, that they will actively favor other groups.

Networking plays a huge role, too. Don't underestimate the way networking can contribute to ethnic bias. A company I used to work for started relying almost 100% on employee referrals to fill positions after a shift in management. Since all the folks hired ended up being the second cousin or the aunt or the neighbor of a few existing employees that worked closest to the new manager's office, pretty soon the staff (originally very diverse) became almost 100% Hispanic. Changes at the top have a way of trickling down.

Language issues will also work against you in California if you are looking at public/customer-facing jobs. Since Hispanic immigration numbers have been massive, we've come to the point where a large proportion of customers simply don't speak English with any kind of fluency. That means that in order to serve that population, private companies, civil service departments, and non-profits are constantly looking for Spanish-speaking employees. Back in the 80s and 90s when a lot of us were going to school, I don't think our parents/teachers/school boards ever imagined that Spanish language skills would become more sought after than English language skills. But neither forced the politicians to stem the waves of Hispanic immigration, nor did they make us learn Spanish. As a result, it is the immigrants' kids (who grew up with both languages), who end up being the more sought-after applicants.

Keep working hard in school, but I'd move somewhere else after graduation unless you are offered a really great position in Sacramento. Work hard on developing your skill set and take every opportunity to network; the truth is that even outside of California a white person is often going to have to be extra-awesome in order to succeed in the job market. I wish you the best of luck and happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento