Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,131 times

Advertisements

hi im a registered nurse here in ohio, married, with one child. We're planning to move to california sometime next year because most of our relatives are there. I'm kind of hesitant because of the high cost of living. Relatives are from san francisco and san bernardino. and if not for the extreme winter here in ohio, we would have opted to stay because it's laid back, basically were we live now is a good place to raise kids with low crime rate plus not a costly place to live. Honestly, we dont know where in cali to go. Been in LA and SF for vacation, that's it. We want to know which is better, northern or southern part of cali? please help us on this. In case, which city would you recommend? something that is not pricey, good pay for RN's but compensates with the expenses of daily living. Good neighborhood to live and for the kids, with good schools. We won't ask for much because we live a simple life, we don't go for luxuries and bars, nightlife and similar stuffs (call it boring) but basically "family oriented". We would definitely be starting to rent first before getting a house, so some place with affordable rent but decent. We are on a 2bedroom/1.5bath apartment right now, spacious for $520 rent/mo (you see that's ohio). thank you so much..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 AM

433 posts, read 2,351,320 times
It's really hard to give advice when you are talking about California. It is a huge state.

You can probably eliminate most of the Bay Area and L.A. from your plans. Costs. Crowded. Culture shock.

That leaves you the smaller towns or the interior cities.

You might focus on the Central Valley (Sacramento area etc.) or perhaps the Sierra Nevada foothill (Mother Lode) communities. The pace of life would be a better transition coming from Ohio. You could also have decent access to Interstate 5 or Interstate 80 for your family visits. The winters in Northern California are quite mild at the lower elevations. It's also greener because of the more abundant winter rains than SoCal. It is dry just about everywhere in California during the summer months (native grass turns brown).

You have to narrow the areas down yourself. What kind of recreation do you like? Are you a flat-lander or hill person? Desert or forests? You won't find a large apartment in most good areas for that Ohio rent. There might be 100's of towns or cities that you could call home out here. Pull out a map and do some searches on City Data for the towns that capture your interests.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:26 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,136,888 times
I lived in Ohio for fourteen years, spending 1992 until 2006 in metro Columbus. We moved to Sacramento, and found it to be a relatively comfortable move for us. Sacramento has a little more of a laid back and midwest feel to it, considering it is in California.

You should be able to find a 2 bedroom apartment for under $800 in areas such as Antelope, Citrus Heights, Carmichael and Galt.

Antelope, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Citrus Heights, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Carmichael, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Galt, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

We have a few large medical centers out here, if interested you can check them out for RN job availablity and pay. My understanding is that they are short of nurses, but I don't personally know that, it is what I have been told by a few folks considering jobs with these facilities. The major players are Mercy Hospital, Davis Medical Center, Sutter Hospital and Kaiser Permanente.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,668,921 times
Definately do your research. There are affordable places if you can find them. I do think that you'll be hard pressed to find a rental 2 bedroom for $800 though

My friend had a two bedroom in Carmichael for $975 and it was a piece of junk (even she said so) she got it only because it was by the really good elementary school

I had a two bedroom and it was $1250 (and that was 2004)

Last edited by CityGirl72; 03-04-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,136,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Definately do your research. There are affordable places if you can find them. I do think that you'll be hard pressed to find a rental 2 bedroom for $800 though

My friend had a two bedroom in Carmichael for $975 and it was a piece of junk (even she said so) she got it only because it was by the really good elementary school

I had a two bedroom and it was $1250 (and that was 2004)
My source for the rental comments was the City Data apartment information and Craigslist. Though some of the City Data information was quite old, the rents haven't increased more than 20=-25% since 2000 (the oldest data presented), so the $800 figure should be obtainable.

The market is providing a lot of vacancies, so rent is really quite negotiable today.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:09 PM

175 posts, read 794,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budodang View Post
hi im a registered nurse here in ohio, married, with one child. We're planning to move to california sometime next year because most of our relatives are there. I'm kind of hesitant because of the high cost of living. Relatives are from san francisco and san bernardino. and if not for the extreme winter here in ohio, we would have opted to stay because it's laid back, basically were we live now is a good place to raise kids with low crime rate plus not a costly place to live. Honestly, we dont know where in cali to go. Been in LA and SF for vacation, that's it. We want to know which is better, northern or southern part of cali? please help us on this. In case, which city would you recommend? something that is not pricey, good pay for RN's but compensates with the expenses of daily living. Good neighborhood to live and for the kids, with good schools. We won't ask for much because we live a simple life, we don't go for luxuries and bars, nightlife and similar stuffs (call it boring) but basically "family oriented". We would definitely be starting to rent first before getting a house, so some place with affordable rent but decent. We are on a 2bedroom/1.5bath apartment right now, spacious for $520 rent/mo (you see that's ohio). thank you so much..
I think you are like a lot of people don't realize how huge California really is. You probably won't have a problem finding a job as an RN but you definately need to look outside of the major cities. Check out the schools closely. Also, get a crime report from the local Police department. What looks like a good area might fool you. 520 will not rent a box even in the worst area and I'm not kidding. They give the homeless in SF 400 a month.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 AM

Location: Beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains, Murphys, Arnold, Dorrington, Bear Valley
5 posts, read 19,390 times
You may want to look at Angels Camp. It's a great place to live and fits your description of small town living perfectly...good schools, lots of family oriented recreation, two hospitals each about 30 min away. However to rent a home would be more in the range of $750-$1100 per month. (but I think you'll find that in most areas) Let me know if you'd like more information!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM

48 posts, read 168,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budodang View Post
Currently live in the Sacramento area. Finding a 2 bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood will be over 1000 a month. However RN's make really good money out here. So many nice areas around Sacramento that your commute to the hospitals would not be so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento