Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 11:56 PM

125 posts, read 291,935 times

Advertisements

I might be getting a job offer next week for a job in downtown (near 8th and K Street). I plan to find a rental for the first year, but after that will probably be looking to buy a home or condo. I wanted to get an idea of where my options might be when I decide to purchase.

I'll be a single lady, living by myself, and I'm looking for a relatively safe neighborhood. I would be fine with either a house, or a condo/townhouse. My budget would be up to $325K. I'm hoping to be within a 15 minute drive to my office, so hopefully there are some neighborhoods within that range.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 12:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Google is your friend (as is zillow) :

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...36_rect/11_zm/

Old 04-02-2017, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 688 times
I'm a single lady and have been living in the Butterfield Rivera area (borders are: River to the north, Folsom blvd to the south, Tiber to the west, Paseo Rio to the east) for 13 years now. Like all of Sacramento, you have to always stay on guard re: crime and safety. But, this neighborhood has a lot of original owners and neighbors that really watch out for you. There aren't many houses that come up for sale because everyone is long term, but they are definitely in your price range. The light rail stop in nearby too so you can commute downtown if that's your thing. It take me about 10-15 minutes w/o traffic to get to the midtown/downtown area.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:55 PM

251 posts, read 376,149 times
There are too many variables in your equation to really give you a solid answer. You are looking for a home in a year under $325k, no one can really tell you what home prices and availability will be like in a year. Additionally unless you are buying all cash no one knows what mortgage interest rates will be in a year. 15 Min drive also covers quite a bit of ground; Natomas, Rancho Cordova, Elk Grove, and everywhere in between.

Coming from experience you'd really want to narrow down exactly what you are looking for in a neighborhood/home. Everyone always says "I'm looking for a home at X price in a safe neighborhood". Some people can feel safe in Oak Park while other's only feel safe if they live in a gated community with security guards like Serrano. Do you want to be close to bike trails, walking paths, a certain store or restaurant? Maybe you're looking for a certain style of home? Big lot size? 2 story? Or the opposite, what don't you want? Do you not want to be within earshot of railroad track/lightrail? Not near a school?

Old 04-03-2017, 01:45 PM

125 posts, read 291,935 times
I'm not asking anyone to try to predict what housing prices will be in a year, I'm just asking at today's prices, what neighborhoods do YOU think would be safe for $325K or below, and within a 15 minute drive to downtown (during the rush hour commute in order to be to work by 9:00am).

I know that safety is relative, but if a couple of people recommend an area, then I'll go check it out for myself and see what I think.

As far as bike trails, schools, restaurants, ect. I dont care about any of that.

I just don't want to relocate to a new city, and then find out that I wont be able to afford a home unless I'm willing to live in a bad neighborhood, or commute 45 minutes. I've seen houses on redfin that are within my price range near downtown, but I have a feeling those are unsafe areas.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:25 PM

61 posts, read 106,399 times
Southport area in West Sacramento - 95691. I think you could probably find a newer house in the 1100-1500 sq ft range for that price. You can get into downtown within 10 minutes without getting onto a freeway.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:52 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,663,523 times
There are also some neighborhoods in North Natomas where you may find a house within your price range. North Natomas is located between downtown and the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento