Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:02 AM

101 posts, read 182,864 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Sacramento region (Folsom, to be precise) on and off for about 20 years. We ultimately decided that we needed a change and moved. While we had our apprehensions about leaving California, I must say that it was one of the best decisions we ever made. I realize many people stay in certain places for a multitude of reasons (i.e. family, job, etc.), however, if you are considering moving out of California (specifically, the Sacramento region), I would highly encourage you to go outside your comfort zone and make the move.

Here are some of the reasons we are glad we left:

1. Overpriced housing - I say overpriced because I couldn't understand why the homes were priced so high relative to the fact that there were very few industries/jobs. In fact, while jobs were leaving, home prices were still going up. To me, that simply meant that the homes were overpriced and not worth the asking. Add to it that there are very few new homes being built and a geographic territory which restricted growth, and it created the "perfect storm" where 40% of our income goes to a roof over your head.
2. Jobs - I say jobs in the traditional sense but I am also referring to entrepreneurial opportunities as well. In the Sacramento region, you'll find plenty of government/state workers but very rarely is anyone doing anything truly innovative. There are, of course, the traditional industries such as medical, etc. but that cannot sustain a region forever. Individuals who are making money from their homes in the Bay Area and moving to Sacramento is also not a viable industry. Moreover, if you look at the number of companies leaving California, the opportunities are are getting smaller and smaller for younger families.
3. Taxes, taxes, and taxes - I, personally, would prefer to avoid any and all theft. I do recognize that there are a select group of individuals who believe that theft is okay so long as they get something in return. For those of you believe and support taxes, just know that California takes a whole lot of them and gives you very little in return. Now, I don't believe in getting into a complex discussion about taxes, but, as an individual, I will say this; every "state" has different methods for collecting (stealing?) money. The primary difference, is that California doesn't give you the option to "opt out". At least living in other places, I can take the necessary actions to avoid taxes (i.e. Don't like property tax? don't buy a home. Don't like income tax? Move to a state without income tax.)
4. Mindset - There is something about the mindset of individuals within the Sacramento region. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's like a mix of vapid pretentiousness from the Bay Area mixed with a bit of redneck country. It's quite the dynamic. That doesn't mean it's necessarily bad, however, it is quite the paradox. Moreover, there is a very clear socio-economic class system where individuals are segregated by cities and/or neighborhoods. Since moving out of the Sacramento region, I've come to realize that Sacramento, in some cases, is way more prejudicial than the locations they would likely mock in that California-is-way-more-progressive-than-anywhere-else way.

If you're on the fence (border?) about leaving, and have questions, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to share you with the good and the bad of having left California (Sacramento).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 09:23 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times
First, where did you move to, and what made you decide to move specifically there, not just "out of Sacramento"? What do you like about your current location?

Old 04-28-2017, 10:29 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I'm not the OP, but...

I blew out of Sacramento in 1979, determined never to return to that hick town.
Five years in hip San Francisco, 25 in the sustainable East Bay, then 12 years in rural Hawaii.

Some opinions:
Sacramento is really clean compared to San Francisco.
The East Bay has less to offer in terms of culture than Sacramento, but lots more job opportunities--that mostly require a commute on public transportation or ridiculous traffic and parking fees.
Hawaii humidity is suffocating. And there's no shopping. And the jungle is relentless.

Now I'm thinking fondly of returning to the land of low humidity and wide open spaces, golden poppies in the spring and golden grass in the summer, winter, fall; shopping malls with ginormous parking lots...Sacramento (or maybe the Gold Country) sounds pretty good right now.

I wonder what will look good to me 12 or 15 years from now?

Last edited by steiconi; 04-28-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 AM

61 posts, read 106,361 times
The mindset in Sacramento is not a paradox. You just can't put your finger on it easily because its socially, culturally and economically diverse. There are a lot of different people from different walks of life living their own life here. In some ways this is Sacramento's 'problem' - we don't have a very clear homogeneous story like LA has for movies or Las Vegas has for gambling.

Also I hate to break it to you but if you think you are avoiding paying property taxes by paying rent, you are not.

Last edited by b.hughes; 04-28-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-28-2017, 08:24 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,596 times
Meh there is no one size fits all utopia. People that I know move out because they cant afford to buy a house or they are cashing out their home equity to supplement their retirement and move out. Personally I don't like snow for more than a few days and I don't like humidity that rules out many places in the US. However, if the reality of retirement dictates that I move elsewhere or I could not buy a home then yes I would adapt and move. Until then it's comfy living in Cali.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
First, where did you move to, and what made you decide to move specifically there, not just "out of Sacramento"? What do you like about your current location?
Moved to Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth). We had the opportunity to live anywhere in US so we considered a number of different locations (Washington, Idaho, Florida, Nevada, Oregon, South Carolina, North Carolina, etc.) knowing that each location has its good and bad. My original post was more-or-less geared towards those individuals who may be considering the move but concerned about making a mistake (as we did) by leaving California. What I like most about the current location is the economy. There just seems to be such a healthier vibe when it comes to opportunities (for everyone).

Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.hughes View Post
The mindset in Sacramento is not a paradox. You just can't put your finger on it easily because its socially, culturally and economically diverse. There are a lot of different people from different walks of life living their own life here. In some ways this is Sacramento's 'problem' - we don't have a very clear homogeneous story like LA has for movies or Las Vegas has for gambling.

Also I hate to break it to you but if you think you are avoiding paying property taxes by paying rent, you are not.
I was simply voicing (stating?) my opinion and you're certainly welcome to disagree. This isn't about right or wrong, just differing perspectives. And, yes, I do find the people of Sacramento to be a paradox. Case in point - you have a region that is bleeding jobs and industry and yet you somehow find a way to finance a professional sports team and their stadium. Whether that is good or bad for the region is up for debate but it doesn't fix the fact that the majority of people in the Sacramento region have very few opportunities afforded to them meanwhile the cost of housing keeps magically going up.

Also, I hate to break it to you but I never insinuated that I, or anyone else, was avoiding property taxes by renting.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Meh there is no one size fits all utopia. People that I know move out because they cant afford to buy a house or they are cashing out their home equity to supplement their retirement and move out. Personally I don't like snow for more than a few days and I don't like humidity that rules out many places in the US. However, if the reality of retirement dictates that I move elsewhere or I could not buy a home then yes I would adapt and move. Until then it's comfy living in Cali.
I couldn't agree with you more. There is no one size fits all utopia and we've certainly made some concessions by moving out of California (geography being one of them). We realize we are going to find a compromise so now we spend summers in Colorado and winters in Florida. I'm not sure if, by your statement, you intend to imply we couldn't afford a home or were looking to retire (neither of which applies to us). In fact, we owned a home (mortgage?) and are in our 30s. We simply got tired of Sacramento's complete lack of opportunity and increasing costs. I think we discovered at one point that firefighters in Roseville were making over $200k per year. We simply couldn't believe it. We live in Texas now so we don't get snow (with the exceptional dusting in winter) and the humidity is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In fact, with Sacramento temperatures reaching over 100 degree over the summer, and in some cases, for as many as 30 days in a row, I actually find Texas more pleasant because clouds roll in and bring some moisture and relief (greenery). It remains warm into the evening which means you can actually swim at night, too. There aren't any drought issues (at least right now) and I've never come across a situation where the power companies are suggesting that you reduce your electrical consumption "help the grid" on a day where all you want is to stick your head in the freezer. Again, I realize everyone is different and may have their own preferences.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:54 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
OP,

I assure you Sacramento has an identity. It may not be to your liking or as well known as other places. But it's certainly has an identity.

I never heard anyone say its not a place you want to live, but I have heard that Sacramento is close to many desirable places for recreation and additional culture beyond what we have. Our proximity to the Sierra's, Bay, Ocean, and other cities is simply added value, not a negative.

For example, we drove to the Sierras this morning for a day of skiing, it look us 1hr 25 minutes from our Sacramento home to the parking lot of the Ski Resort. It was a beautiful Sunny day up in the high country as it was down in Sacramento where we returned the same day to have dinner at a local Sacramento restaurant. It took us 1 hr 35 mins from the Ski resort to the East Sacramento restaurant.

By the way, when we were in the parking lot of the Ski Resort a man walked up to several of us and said he had prepaid ski tickets. A Bay Area couple declined because they were wary that the tickets were no good. The tickets were worth over $250.00 and I was a little wary to give the guy cash considering the tickets may not be legitimate. He asked me where we were from, I said Sacramento, he said so am I, "you know what, you can have them for free". The tickets were legit and we skied for free because of the generosity of a fellow Sacramentan.

Tomorrow, our Bay Area-Silicon Valley friends are visiting us in Sacramento, in part, because they love Sacramento's midtown restaurants, they don't think Sacramento has an "identity" issue.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:12 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStateProject View Post
We realize we are going to find a compromise so now we spend summers in Colorado and winters in Florida. I'm not sure if, by your statement, you intend to imply we couldn't afford a home or were looking to retire (neither of which applies to us). In fact, we owned a home (mortgage?) and are in our 30s. We simply got tired of Sacramento's complete lack of opportunity and increasing costs. I think we discovered at one point that firefighters in Roseville were making over $200k per year. We simply couldn't believe it. We live in Texas now so we don't get snow (with the exceptional dusting in winter) and the humidity is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In fact, with Sacramento temperatures reaching over 100 degree over the summer, and in some cases, for as many as 30 days in a row, I actually find Texas more pleasant because clouds roll in and bring some moisture and relief (greenery). It remains warm into the evening which means you can actually swim at night, too. There aren't any drought issues (at least right now) and I've never come across a situation where the power companies are suggesting that you reduce your electrical consumption "help the grid" on a day where all you want is to stick your head in the freezer. Again, I realize everyone is different and may have their own preferences.
Interesting how you knock Sacramento, but because of Dallas's horrible horrible summers you leave for the summer to live in Colorado....and Dallas' winters are colder than Sacramento. I guess that's why you leave Dallas for 6 months out of they year.

I spent a summer in Dallas and my sister lived in Dallas for many years, Summers are by far worse in Dallas than Sacramento. No, Sacramento never never had 100's degrees days for 30 days in row that would be Dallas. It's down right horribly hot and humid at night in Dallas. And my sister returned to Sacramento.

Yes, we swim in the pool at night in Sacramento even though its 20 degrees cooler than Dallas on a typical summer night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento