Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 09:52 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Get used to taking something for allergies. Along with air conditioning and beer, antihistamines are one of those inventions that makes life here more bearable.
I haven't had any allergies here, at least not from any plants or trees. I'm really allergic to most perfume and have sneezing and coughing fits when I'm close to someone wearing a lot of it. But when I lived in Reno I had horrible allergies; sage, rabbit brush, tumbleweed, ragweed ugh. The funny part is I lived there for 3 or 4 years before I started having allergies, but after they started they didn't stop until I moved to Sac 10 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 10:23 AM

572 posts, read 598,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Well I've been here almost a week and have driven through all neighborhoods suggested on this thread. Each one had its pros and cons, some of the less desirable had nice pockets and some of the more expensive had affordable pockets. Hey! I even spent a day in The Pocket and Greenhaven and then Clarksburg.

Thanks everyone!!

What a joy to drive here! What a joy to have an efficient infrastructure that supports the density! What a joy to drive with people who are courteous yet don't lollygag around. I'm used to "up your a**" drivers of SoCal or timid, passive-aggressive and inefficient Seattle drivers. I'm really surprised at just how much I'm liking it here. So many trees. So beautiful. However, I never knew I had tree allergies but clearly I do for I have issues every time I go outside. I usually avoid coming this time of year, so I never knew.

Ok so this is my quick update, but I did have a question. I'm choosing to ask it here to keep things intact. I hope people can answer it here. Three days now it's been windy, and not just breezy but windy, and the sky has this high cloud cover that filters the sun making being outside - for me- an utter joy. Question-

Is this normal weather to have clouds come in like they are now around 4 pm on Tuesday with wind? I was under the impression that Sac was super sunny all the time and almost always had bright sun daily for most of the year (excluding core winter). Is this the norm to have the breeze and filtered sun?
Nice to hear you are enjoying your visit. The weather is so beautiful right now. As wburg said I honestly don't know what normal is anymore. The past couple of years late-spring early-summer time has been hotter than it has this year. But the pattern of cooler days then heat building in with increasing daytime high temperatures and less night time cooling for a few days - then relief coming and a cool down with a stronger breeze for a few days then repeat - is pretty much the pattern all summer. I think the average summer daytime high temperature is 93 degrees or something like that... but it is constantly fluctuating up and down between like 90 degrees and 100 degrees. A few days each summer of >100 and a few days of cooler <90.

As for allergies. yeah I've never had them before moving here. Now I get them bad in spring. It's an annoyance and takes some management to figure out how to best deal with them. Too bad because it's such a nice time to be outside...

Old 05-31-2017, 01:51 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
I smile at the image of spring being a tug of war between winter and summer. As I write this by an open window around midnight, I hear the leaves in the trees above the pool rustle, and I'm enjoying this gorgeous cool air. I'm bracing for the "brutal" weather ahead.
Nothing can prepare you for the boiling hell that is summer in Sacramento!!!!

Old 05-31-2017, 02:47 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Nothing can prepare you for the boiling hell that is summer in Sacramento!!!!
lol WoR you need to create a macro for that so you don't have to keep typing it in every message

Old 10-21-2017, 03:21 PM

37 posts, read 51,761 times
I retired from the Dept. of Heath Care Services in August 2016 and moved to Fort Bragg CA. There is not a day I don't miss my 950 sq. ft. bungalow on McKinley Park. They tore it down and are building a $1.5M McMansion on it. Fort Bragg has some cool stuff and my new house has some great features, but I sure miss Sacramento weather, the medical community, Costco and, sigh, Trader Joe's.

If you can squeeze yourself into East Sac for $650K, do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento